The Student Room Group

AS Biology Paper 2 AQA 2017

Poll

How did you find the exam?

How did everyone find it I found it better than the last paper, but the majority of the people in the exam hall were writing up until the time was over. - Comment what you got and how you found it.

Differences between glycogen and cellulose? (2)
Glycogen - Branched - Cellulose - Unbranched
Glycogen alpha glucose. Cellulose beta glucose

How is starch good for storage? (2)
Coiled and compact.
Insoluble, so it can't diffuse out of cells and doesn't effect the water potential

Magnification question - I got 40um. (2)
I got 2cm for the length of the line
the magnification was x500

The chemical test for starch (1)
Potassium Iodine

- Beetroot - effect of temperature questions.

-Aorta and Pulmonary artery question - disease
Oxygenated blood mixes with deoxygenated blood and so less oxygenated blood is delivered to respiring tissues. Cells/Tissues are unable to respire and die. (3)

-Mutation questions - (Non disjunction?)

- Adult/ Fetal Haemoglobin

- Explain water Cohesion- Tension theory in the xylem. (5)
cohesion between water molecules, delta negative oxygen attracts delta positive hydrogen and drives transpiration stream, adhesion also adds to this effect as cell wall molecules repel water, allows water to travel as a stream, purely passive process, when water removed from leaf by transpiration, osmosis causes water molecule to replace it and cohesion tension causes whole stream to rise from roots to leaves.

-mRNA Production in plants (5)
mRNA produced when a cistron unwinds exposing bases (unwinds with the help of dna helicase and RNA polymerase) , attracts free complementary bases/ nucleotides which join up to it, Uracil is attracted to adenine,not thymine. Mrna strand then separates and is used as template in translation, 3 bases code for one amino acid, codon on it pairs with anticodon to make proteins.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by FabStudent
How did everyone find it I found it better than the last paper, but the majority of the people in the exam hall were writing up until the time was over. - Comment what you got and how you found it.

Differences between glycogen and cellulose?

How is starch good for storage?

- Explain water Cohesion- Tension theory in the xylem.

-mRNA Production in plants

I didnt do the paper but those questions sound like a blessing tbh
Reply 2
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
I didnt do the paper but those questions sound like a blessing tbh

It was a lot better than the first paper, but some questions were really lengthy I think I found it hard to get what I wanted down without running out of time.

- Explain water Cohesion- Tension theory in the xylem. (6)

-mRNA Production in plants (6)

Cellulose- beta glucose, hydrogen bonding, microfibrils, unbranched
Glycogen- alpha glucose, branched

Starch good for storage- amylopectin branched ( 1,4 and 1,6) help give it a very compact shape, lot of energy stored, insoluble-doesnt affect osmotic potential

Mutation question- non disjunction is failure of separation of chromosomes in meiosis meaning one cell has an extra copy and one is missing one-can lead to e.g downs and turner respectively

Cohesion tension theory- cohesion between water molecules, delta negative oxygen attracts delta positive hydrogen and drives transpiration stream, adhesion also adds to this effect as cell wall molecules repel water, allows water to travel as a stream, purely passive process, when water removed from leaf by transpiration, osmosis causes water molecule to replace it and cohesion tension causes whole stream to rise from roots to leaves.

mRNA produced when a cistron unwinds exposing bases (unwinds with the help of dna helicase and RNA polymerase) , attracts free complementary bases/ nucleotides which join up to it, Uracil is attracted to adenine,not thymine. Mrna strand then separates and is used as template in translation, 3 bases code for one amino acid, codon on it pairs with anticodon to make proteins.
(edited 6 years ago)

Glycogen is only in animals, whereas Cellulose is only in plants.
Glycogen a-glucose, Cellulose B-glucose
Starch is insoluble so does not affect water potential of neighbouring cells.

-Aorta and Pulmonary artery question - disease.

- Explain water Cohesion- Tension theory in the xylem. (6)
Water is a polar molecule, and thus has a propensity to form hydrogen bonds with other water molecules. As water vapour moves out of the stomata via diffusion, this encourages the movement of an unbroken water column due to a diffusion gradient being formed. Water moves out of neighbouring mesophyll cells into the air space, which in turn causes the movement of water up from the roots, where it is being osmotically transported in. This constant movement of water from water vapour leaving the cell puts the xylem under tension, causing an unbroken column to form.

-mRNA Production in plants (6)

Glycogen is only in animals, whereas Cellulose is only in plants.
Glycogen a-glucose, Cellulose B-glucose
Starch is insoluble so does not affect water potential of neighbouring cells.

Explain water Cohesion- Tension theory in the xylem. (6)
Water is a polar molecule, and thus has a propensity to form hydrogen bonds with other water molecules. As water vapour moves out of the stomata via diffusion, this encourages the movement of an unbroken water column due to a diffusion gradient being formed. Water moves out of neighbouring mesophyll cells into the air space, which in turn causes the movement of water up from the roots, where it is being osmotically transported in. This constant movement of water from water vapour leaving the cell puts the xylem under tension, causing an unbroken column to form.

Starch good for storage- amylopectin branched ( 1,4 and 1,6) help give it a very compact shape, lot of energy stored, insoluble-doesnt affect osmotic potential

Mutation question- non disjunction is failure of separation of chromosomes in meiosis meaning one cell has an extra copy and one is missing one-can lead to e.g downs and turner respectively

Cohesion tension theory- cohesion between water molecules, delta negative oxygen attracts delta positive hydrogen and drives transpiration stream, adhesion also adds to this effect as cell wall molecules repel water, allows water to travel as a stream, purely passive process, when water removed from leaf by transpiration, osmosis causes water molecule to replace it and cohesion tension causes whole stream to rise from roots to leaves.

Ah I see we're both revising for A2s ahaha
Original post by Kyou
Ah I see we're both revising for A2s ahaha

Yes its good little practice, i coulda done with some more plant biological terms in my cohesion tension answer but semi rushed it, good questions tho

Glycogen - Branched - Cellulose - Unbranched
Glycogen alpha glucose. Cellulose beta glucose

Coiled and compact.
Insoluble, so it can't diffuse out of cells and doesn't effect the water potential

The chemical test for starch (1)
Potassium Iodine

-Aorta and Pulmonary artery question - disease
Oxygenated blood mixes with deoxygenated blood and so less oxygenated blood is delivered to respiring tissues. Cells/Tissues are unable to respire and die. (3)

- Explain water Cohesion- Tension theory in the xylem. (5)
cohesion between water molecules, delta negative oxygen attracts delta positive hydrogen and drives transpiration stream, adhesion also adds to this effect as cell wall molecules repel water, allows water to travel as a stream, purely passive process, when water removed from leaf by transpiration, osmosis causes water molecule to replace it and cohesion tension causes whole stream to rise from roots to leaves.

-mRNA Production in plants (5)

You didn't mention splicing for the 5 marker on mRNA in plants
Reply 8

if the question is asking about the production of mRNA, why would you mention the translation process?
Original post by djdM
if the question is asking about the production of mRNA, why would you mention the translation process?

Extra background information, wont need it but i like to pad my answers out unnecessarily
Reply 10
For the aorta question I said no oxygenated blood is pumped around the body instead of only some would I lose marks
anybody got paper 2 they can send me? cheers
did anyone have paper 2 /?
Hey guys,

Does anyone remember how many marks the question on the statistical test on Paper 2 was?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending