The Student Room Group

AQA A-level Economics new 7136 - 06, 13 & 19 Jun 2017 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NotKidding
Think the point was that firms employ workers to work 5 days a week whilst Royal Mail is forced to work 6 days a week. Therefore labour costs rise (as people don't want to work on weekends). Increasing output can lead to economies of scale/decreasing AC. I also mentioned that if no other firm in the market offered this service they would be a monopoly and could raise prices (S.N profit).

Not completely sure my answer was fully correct though

Yes I think you are correct, that is what I wrote initially that because they work 6 days instead of 5, their labor costs will rise, thus variable costs will rise, so ATC will shift up, and this will casue a higher cost and smaller abnormal profit.
But than I was not sure whether other UK firms work 5 or 7 days and from tone of context reassumed it was 7, so this gave me the fact that their costs will fall as they work 6 instead of 7, and as follows...
Reply 361
Anyone do Section b?
A* 90% over two papers or all 3??
Can someone help me figure out if what I put is correct. For the 4 mark question on Dynamic efficiency context A, case study 1, I said how employees has fallen over the period shown in the figure, but revenue has risen indicating there has been improvements or investments in technological advancements or productivity showing dynamic efficiency has taken place? Is this completely wrong or on the right lines?
aqa paper 1 eco - how did people find that?????

i found the paper to be really good, almost too good that i wrote more for section B leaving me only 30 minutes to do section C and A (i did it in a different order bc stupid me thought it'd be more time efficient lmao) and I'm really ****ing mad about it urgh i like wrote jackshit for section C and whizzed through A

also what were the two government restrictions on monopsony power??????
The reason why I don't like privatisation is that points are harder to develop in my opinion so I felt my essay wasn't as critical andwell evaluated
Reply 366
Original post by sim869
Honestly, you might lose a few marks. All you had to do was add the percentage of the top 3 firms: Royal Mail, DPD and i cant remember the other one. BUT, because your percentage is kinda equivalient you might get something at least :/

See it's a difficult one, I don't know whether I'll get one mark for writing 0.535 and then putting it to one dp or losing both marks for not having a percentage 😂
For the 9 mk in context 1, would I be wrong in stating that they will want to produce at the point where MC=MR, but due to the regulations that they must deliver 6 days a week; I showed on the diagram the Quantity produced at the point where AC is greater than AR, so they are being inefficient due to the lack of demand but they have high average costs etc etc??
Yea i did similar things to you, i spoke about incentives/trickle down for my market forces bit, then did education for a second point and benefits. In retrospect i think i should have done a minimum wage point, but yeah i don't know how i did grade wise really, but it defo wasn't my best.
Original post by sim869
i feel like my structure for the poverty essay was quite bad. I talked about govt int. first as thats what would ahppen if the market failed. My 2 point were minimum wages and taxes/benefits. my paragraph FOR market forces was very small, i only wrote that there were not be incentives to lift yourself out of poverty, and how some free market economists belive that economic growth is needed to alleviate poverty (need poverty initially tho). Idk really i dont think it was well written, maybe just scarpping a B/C. normally i get A/B so :/
Reply 369
Anyone do the question about monopolistic Esaay 1?
My answer was the same - number of employees has decreased yet revenue per employee has increased thus suggesting there has been an increase in capital intensive machinery to boost productivity leading to higher revenue
Original post by Gemmamcconville
Can someone help me figure out if what I put is correct. For the 4 mark question on Dynamic efficiency context A, case study 1, I said how employees has fallen over the period shown in the figure, but revenue has risen indicating there has been improvements or investments in technological advancements or productivity showing dynamic efficiency has taken place? Is this completely wrong or on the right lines?
Reply 371
Grade boundary predictions?
Original post by bkjsbcs
Anyone do the question about monopolistic Esaay 1?
yep
what diagram did people draw for 25 mark on privatisation???
Reply 374
Original post by SWISH99
yep

What did u talk about for the 15 marker?
I did essay 3! And I didn't put in about behavioural economic intervention was the needed?
What did people put for the sugar tax 15 marker? Couldn't really see how to do a big chain, so ended up doing 4 little ones with a bit of setting the scene.
Original post by Eleanor2307
what diagram did people draw for 25 mark on privatisation???

Showed perfect comp diagram for my point saying consumers could benefit from increases in efficiency and competition and how they will only be making normal profit if this competition is made... but then went on to say the MES could be high and there may be barriers to entry so used the monopoly diagram and LRAC to illustrate what it would be like in that case
(edited 6 years ago)
I didn't use a diagram in my 25 marker on privatisation how many marks have I lost?
Original post by bkjsbcs
What did u talk about for the 15 marker?

Showed the short run and long run diagrams and talked about why they change etc

Wbu?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending