The Student Room Group

AQA A-level Economics new 7136 - 06, 13 & 19 Jun 2017 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

For context 1 the 9 marker did anyone talk about how the productivity of some workers/couriers would be low due to them having to drive long distances to remote places to deliver 1 parcel?
Original post by Remaine
I also set the scene - you drew two diagrams as well?

I would suspect we spent more time on this question than it perhaps deserved, but it should work - you cannot be too thorough.

Only did one diagram. What was your other one?
Original post by CJEV18
I did not draw the welfare loss on my msb diagram for the sugar 15 marker, how much is this likely to hurt my marks?

Neither did I, just realised 😬
Reply 463
Original post by Holdsworth1
Hi everyone, I did context 2 on the gender pay gap and the essay 2 on poverty.

For the first 25 marker I wrote about how trade unions/ the NMW and progressive taxation and benefits could be used to reduce the gao in the economy and how successful each policy was.

For the second 25 marker I wrote about how the trickle down effect/economic growth could be used by the market forces to reduce poverty, and the NMW/progressive taxation and benefits for government intervention,

Does this sound about right on the whole? Found the paper fairly good.

It is good but if you spoke about signalling incentive and rationing function that would of been better i thinkin
Reply 464
Original post by junky27
Great exam

Context 2;

2 marker- 69.1% something like that or 63.9% can't remember exactly

4 marker- easy just showing how the pay gap got smaller by £445 from 2000 to 2015

9 marker- define key terms, demand for labour derived from MRP in perfectly competitive labour markets. Construction for example men may have more natural strength and can lift heavier objects so they can produce more i.e. marginal product higher than women so higher MRP for men than women here. Though imperfections do exist so women may also gain less due to discrimination. Also they may supply their labour less or not as available due to lifestyle commitments and thus men have higher marginal revenue so higher wages.

25 marker- define key terms. Min wage- increase earnings for women in employment, more equal dist of income. Weak- q of lab falls and even more so if demand for labour is wage elastic. Strong- can't remember what I said.

2nd point- imperfections such as discrimination often evident in labour market so womens MRP is lower than their true MRP so increase laws aimed at preventing this to bring MRP up to true MKT mrp.

Weak- wage gap fallen by £445 over 15 years so not as relevant and equal pay act prevents this. Strong- 32% women claim they are paid less than men according to career build.co.uk

Conclusion- other policies, leave to market forces etc.

Double essay:
define terms

de-merit good diagram with the MPB greater than MSB

Reasons- consumers imperf info on lr private costs

Firms ignore externalities so over provide and we demand at that q

Some sugary drinks have elasticities in the region of 0.3-.06 due to addictive nature so even if price increases to attempt to reduce demand demand will still be at an over consumption as demand is price inelastic.

Facts- NHS 16.1 billion costs obesity. 20% obese population

25 marker:

Define terms

Tax- internalise market failure etc due to fall in supply from tax reduced quantity back to optimum

Weak- demand for goods may be inelastic so fall is unrealistic. Strong is tax rev is used for subsidising healthy alternatives.

2nd point- prof max firms e.g apple earn large supernormal profits e.g 54.1 billion in 2015 and evade tax e.g relocating to Ireland. Tax may not have such an affect on these firms so gov provision is necessary. Gov provision diagram.

Weak- orgs in free market may be a charity or attempt to raise awareness of risks so produce at q where mc=mr so gov provision unnecessary. Strong- can't remember

Conclsuion- evaluated args. Behavioural economics also relevant e.g nudge policies such as mandating choice etc.

Answer to question 1 was 69.6 and question 2 was 495
Original post by Soulgeass
I think my diagram is similar to yours (I mentioned rising costs but for a different reason). I hope our diagrams are valid!

So do I! I didn't actually explain why they were now producing at this new point, just that their costs had risen and profits lowered.
Im worried slightly because im sure I'm of the minority that did context 2 plz comment if u did context 2 on the 9 marker the question was on MRP of females an the 25 on policies to reduce pay gap 🙏🏼🤦*♂️🤦*♂️
Original post by WilliamHaycocks
This seems like a good answer to me.

Although the question did ask for the effect on costs and profit and nothing about effciency
(edited 6 years ago)
Could someone help give an estimate to the mark i should get for the context 1 25 marker about the privatisation of the royal mail?
The points i discussed was that there will be benefits because of productive efficiency, allocative efficiency, dynamic efficiency. (I went on to analyse this in greater detail of course). I think spoke about the cost to workers because it mentioned something in extract C how workers are being replaced by technology. I also mentioned how their monopoly power could cause them to exploit economies of scale as to reduce competition. In my conclusion, I spoke about whether the royal mail being privatised is better than it being nationalised. As a final judgement, i said that the benefits outweigh the costs assuming the regulation is strict and bigger than the market to prevent regulatory capture.
I know that it is a lot to ask for but could someone please give me an estimate as to what they reckon I got?
Thank you very much for any replies!
Reply 469
Original post by amuir720
Neither did I, just realised 😬

I've literally had all the diagrams on my bedroom wall for the past 3 months, how did i not remember to put that part on?!:frown:
Original post by DmdhJa
Answer to question 1 was 69.6 and question 2 was 495

Thought I was the only one who did context 2 I actually got 63 or something similar on q1 an pretty much did similar on 9 nad 25 marker
This is more or less what I wrote
Privatisation - yes profit motive/incentives better to achieve more efficient outcome
Talked about a potential way that competition between the firms might lead to static efficiency
Then talked about how the data suggested that actually it was oligopolistic likely to cause more anti competitive
Not take into account externalities so nationalisation might have been better
Semi evaluated bits
Then talked about the rising contestability ? Mad point they were talking about innovation so I said how this would benefit and stuff

Sugar tax:
Demerit good/asymmetric information
Explain the external costs to the nhs and why that would be a problem
Drew the diagram
And a supply diagram and explained the effect on costs + employment
Price increase depends on elasticity
Could be regressive + unemployment cause worse gov failure
Depends it acts as a nudge for firms to reduce sugar content could be better off, (but depends on market structure)lower prices, healthier
Then talked about how it didn't deal with irrational thinking and suggested a nudge policy I think I evaluated by saying it's not our right to judge someone's lifestyle
I can't rememeber what else I wrote kinda forgot a lot of things
Original post by Emilybroome
Context 1 was the bar chart and revenue :smile:

Bar chart was revenue or worker? :smile:
Original post by Hamza Rashid
Could someone help give an estimate to the mark i should get for the context 1 25 marker about the privatisation of the royal mail?
The points i discussed was that there will be benefits because of productive efficiency, allocative efficiency, dynamic efficiency. (I went on to analyse this in greater detail of course). I think spoke about the cost to workers because it mentioned something in extract C how workers are being replaced by technology. I also mentioned how their monopoly power could cause them to exploit economies of scale as to reduce competition. In my conclusion, I spoke about whether the royal mail being privatised is better than it being nationalised. As a final judgement, i said that the benefits outweigh the costs assuming the regulation is strict and bigger than the market to prevent regulatory capture.
I know that it is a lot to ask for but could someone please give me an estimate as to what they reckon I got?

Without looking at your full answer , diagrams used, chain of reasoning, depth of analysis is not really possible to give a mark. The points seem fine but I have seen situations were the correct points were given but there was lack of development and it was awarded low L3
Original post by Hamza Rashid

Damn wish I read the data about the costs to labour I skimmed read, all i can say I think your points are valid, I don't know how to band it but should be high. Wish I thought of your points :frown:
Original post by Imogensmith123
I think I did the same to I did a negative externality diagram isntead of demerit diagram but then when I applied it I said it shows the demerit good which has negative externalities because I got myself confused, would that be acceptable :frown:

One way around this is if you refered to negative externalities associated with the impact on the NHS. More sugar consumed = more strain on health services = less health services available to others. Therefore the private cost of consuming these drinks e.g obesity is less than the social cost of insufficient health care available for others.
Original post by physicsamor
Damn wish I read the data about the costs to labour I skimmed read, all i can say I think your points are valid, I don't know how to band it but should be high. Wish I thought of your points :frown:

I'm sure your points were fine. Remember, there are a variety of points that you could say so just because you did not say the labor cost one does not mean your points arent good!
Thank you for the response
Reply 477
For context A 9 marker, do you think you could make the argument that in the long run that there average costs may fall due to economies of scale and thus profits rise?
Original post by keynes24
Without looking at your full answer , diagrams used, chain of reasoning, depth of analysis is not really possible to give a mark. The points seem fine but I have seen situations were the correct points were given but there was lack of development and it was awarded low L3

That is a valid point.
Thank you very much
i did the poverty question too, and also wrote about trickle down and incentives of market, so i think that was alright. I also think about education and benefits which i think are relevant, what do you think? I think NMW was a good point, i should have written about that
Original post by DmdhJa
It is good but if you spoke about signalling incentive and rationing function that would of been better i thinkin

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending