The Student Room Group

A2 film studies wjec

Hey everyone! I haven't seen a thread for A level WJEC film studies yet for the 2017 exams so I thought we could share some revision tips/notes and talk about the exam in general!

As an introduction I'm doing:
Section B, Documentary- Bowling For Columbine, Supersize Me
Section C- Fight Club

I plan to post my revision notes and any helpful sources I come across!

Good Luck every one :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
We're doing Fight Club for Section C too, how are you finding it? I love the film but I'm getting freaked out over how in depth the analysis we need to do, and how many approaches we need to know about. What are you doing for Section A?
Hey I'm an A2 film Studies also my main difference is for section C I'm doing Modern Times. For section A I'm doing Bollywood.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by jaspeng
We're doing Fight Club for Section C too, how are you finding it? I love the film but I'm getting freaked out over how in depth the analysis we need to do, and how many approaches we need to know about. What are you doing for Section A?

For section A i'm doing Pan's Labyrinth. I love Fight Club too but I feel you, there are so many themes and so many different things to learn and talk about it's a bit overwhelming!

At the moment, I've made notes on each theme, and a scene that illustrates it, and then one or two quotes to back it up.
Ahhh I see fair enough, yeah there really is and I need to get a high A on this exam so it's very stressful... I have another mock on Friday so hopefully I will get an A in that..
Hiya! This is a nice exam thread - I've added it to the Exam Thread Directory 2017

If you see any other exam threads threads that aren't in the directory yet - let me know by either tagging me in, or linking it in the directory and I can add it in! You can also find discussions for your other exams there.

If any of your other exams aren't on there yet - feel free to make the exam thread for it yourself

Good luck in your exams
Hey, I am doing:

Section A: Empowered women - Pan's Labyrinth, Run Lola Run and Amelie
Section B - Emotional Response to Popular films- Forrest Gump, Shawshank Redemption, The Notebook
Section C- Fight Club

Confident with A + B, not so much with Fight Club lol
Reply 7
Hi! I'm doing:

Section A: Italian Neo realism - Bicycle Thieves and Rome, Open City
Section B: Spectators emotional response to popular film - Fault in our stars, Bambi, Sabotage, The Untouchables
Section C: Vertigo

I'm only confident on section A and B. :/
I'm sure you will both do fine on your section c. Just make sure you know the films inside and out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The films I have studied for section B are Jurassic World, Whiplash and The Impossible. I feel so clueless on how to answer the question! I have no idea how to link these completely polar opposite films in any way. Do you think it would be easier to bring in some other films that I know a bit better?
I'm doing
Section A: City of God, La Haine
Section B: Early film before 1917
Section C: Pedro Almodovar's Talk to her

Confident on A and C, but Early cinema I really struggle with.

Anyone else doing the same?
Is anyone else doing
Talk to her 2002 -Almodovar
and Iranian cinema?
Reply 12
Hi

Just uploading some of my notes from the films I am studying - includes themes, quotes, some analysis and other helpful links etc.

Hope they're helpful!

Feel free to share any of your resources or notes!

:smile:
Reply 13
Original post by mads99
Hi

Just uploading some of my notes from the films I am studying - includes themes, quotes, some analysis and other helpful links etc.

Hope they're helpful!

Feel free to share any of your resources or notes!

:smile:

i was struggling with fight club, thanks so much for putting these notes up my exams on Friday. i know the film inside out but its hard to figure out what kind of question they will ask and what i need to know. my section A is world cinema (La Haine and City of God) and my section B is Horror (Saw and Psycho) i think i'm alright on them though its just Fight Club. Thanks for posting these notes though!
Original post by psychoxo
Is anyone else doing
Talk to her 2002 -Almodovar
and Iranian cinema?

hey I'm also doing iranian cinema and almodovar
do you have any notes for talk to her,I'm struggling to answer practice questions fro it??? :smile:
Original post by Mariaz2108
hey I'm also doing iranian cinema and almodovar
do you have any notes for talk to her,I'm struggling to answer practice questions fro it??? :smile:

Yes same im really stuck with it. I am just learning the critical approaches for the general question though
Reply 16
Original post by wingwah
i was struggling with fight club, thanks so much for putting these notes up my exams on Friday. i know the film inside out but its hard to figure out what kind of question they will ask and what i need to know. my section A is world cinema (La Haine and City of God) and my section B is Horror (Saw and Psycho) i think i'm alright on them though its just Fight Club. Thanks for posting these notes though!

No worries! and yeah the question can be so broad its hard to revise for. I'm just making sure I know the themes really well
We're doing neorealism (Bicycle Thieves and Rome, Open City), emotional response (Schindlers List and The Reader) and Vertigo by Hitchcock. Anyone else doing anything similar?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ellenapples
We're doing neorealism (Bicycle Thieves and Rome, Open City), emotional response (Schindlers List and The Reader) and Vertigo by Hitchcock. Anyone else doing anything similar?

I'm doing Neorealism for section A and Vertigo for Section C. Only difference is for section B i am doing Spectator's response (Documentary)
Any ideas on what the question for Talk to Her might be? Im praying for a good critical review one

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending