The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths resit legacy calculator paper Thursday

I am resitting the legacy GCSE Maths exam, I flopped the non calculator paper probably got around 15-20 marks and I need 50 marks at least to get a chance of getting a C. I hardly know anything and I believe that I won't be able to pass this time round and I am absolutely dreading doing the super hard new spec. Is there any way I can do the old spec after the summer if not what should I do. I really don't want to do the new spec what should I do. Please give me some advice. Thank you
omg same, i really hope someone responds!
Reply 2
Should I just forget Maths, forget going to uni , get a small part time job, expand from there, maybe start up a business at 18/19
Don't worry too much about it. Seriously. You may have done better than you think in the non-calc, and even if you haven't, you can still make it up in the calculator.

As far as retakes are concerned, I don't think you can retake the old spec anymore after this, although it may be worth getting someone else to check that.

Also, there's an awful lot of stigma surrounding the new exams, but really, there isn't too much difference- you just have to learn formulas and there's an extra calculator paper which appears to have more wordy questions. Honestly, it's not the end of the world if you have to retake on the new spec- it just means you might have to do a little more prep for it.

My advice is to just try and stay positive, don't dwell on the previous exams and focus on acing the next one. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by LexusLFA
Should I just forget Maths, forget going to uni , get a small part time job, expand from there, maybe start up a business at 18/19

This is the last chance to resit you would have to do the retake option in November for the new spec. Just try your best that's all i can say. I've got it on Thursday too and feel like i messed up paper 1. There's a very high chance grade boundaries will be low so just get some marks on paper 2. Good luck!
Reply 5
I'm doing my A-levels currently in Y12, doing A-level English, Finance and ICT. If I do fail which is quite likely I reckon I'll have to do the new spec in May/June 2018, will it affect my A-levels (spending greater amount of time on GCSE Maths new spec and less time on A-levels although I'm not too worried) and what am worried about is applying for uni in Y13 2018 I shall most likely pass the new spec in summer 2018 however when applying for uni they will want to know my GCSE results and I still won't know my Maths result until August 2018.
Original post by TSR_2000
This is the last chance to resit you would have to do the retake option in November for the new spec. Just try your best that's all i can say. I've got it on Thursday too and feel like i messed up paper 1. There's a very high chance grade boundaries will be low so just get some marks on paper 2. Good luck!

What @TSR_2000 said :smile:

What paper are you sitting? Foundation or higher? There will be some topics guaranteed to come up, I'd focus on revising them the next day and a bit :smile:
I'm doing my A-levels currently in Y12, doing A-level English, Finance and ICT. If I do fail which is quite likely I reckon I'll have to do the new spec in May/June 2018, will it affect my A-levels (spending greater amount of time on GCSE Maths new spec and less time on A-levels although I'm not too worried) and what am worried about is applying for uni in Y13 2018 I shall most likely pass the new spec in summer 2018 however when applying for uni they will want to know my GCSE results and I still won't know my Maths result until August 2018.

Hi, I had to retake my GCSE maths in my second year of college for my uni choice, they don't care particularly as I got 5 offers back all from respectable unis just make sure you get the grade that you need!
Reply 8
Original post by AaronNaughton
What @TSR_2000 said :smile:

What paper are you sitting? Foundation or higher? There will be some topics guaranteed to come up, I'd focus on revising them the next day and a bit :smile:

I am doing Edexcel Higher which topics will be guaranteed to come up
I am doing Edexcel Higher which topics will be guaranteed to come up

I can't speak for Edexcel as I'm doing AQA, but I imagine there won't be much difference between exam boards. I know in the AQA exams there will be circle theorems, quadratic equations, algebra and charts (like histograms, cumulative frequency etc),
Any up-to-date topic listings for Thursdays (7th June 2018) paper?

Quick Reply

Latest