The Student Room Group

AQA A-level Economics new 7136 - 06, 13 & 19 Jun 2017 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Simonbro98
Hey! Just a question; for the 15 mark question about sugary drinks, do you think it's alright if I talked about behavioural economics and mainly bounded rationality and utility and then added a market failure and consumption diagram?
Also, did anyone run out of time for the last question or was I the only one??

sounds good to me :biggrin: I talked about some things in behav econ too and drew an externality diagram
Essay 3

15 marker
Explain sugary drinks are a demerit good
Draw negative externalities diagram
Points included:
Bounded self control
Imperfect information
Low price
Habitual nature of drinks
Comparison to substitutes

25 marker
Define points, tax, market failure etc.
Outline argument

Tax on consumers
Lower demand and thus consumption
Depends on elasticity of demand
Depends on level of tax
Government failure
Manipulation of price mechanism

Tax on producers
Less profit incentive
Fall in supply
Depends on market type e.g in an oligopoly there is still brand loyalty
Considered whether it actually solved the issue of consumption

Behavioural economic policies as alternative
Nudges
Choice architecture
Provision of information
Argued that it can be seen as manipulative
Humans are always going to be irrational

Conclusion
Tax is dependent on elasticity
Believe behavioural economics is better if it is balanced between being effective and manipulative

This is what I put, hope it's ok
(edited 6 years ago)
Anyone write about moral hazard for Essay 3 (15 Marker) - how the costs of consuming sugary drinks (eg. healthcare costs) are incurred by a third party (ie. government/NHS), therefore this encourages the overconsumption as the risk can be taken without risk to consumer...?
Quick question I used extra paper and wrote the question number I was continuing to ask I only had to write that at the start of the extra booklet and not on each page?
In my 25 marker on sugary foods and drinks I spoke about tax and strengths and weakeness of this like the regressive effects and the effectiveness of the tax being dependent on the elasticity of the food and drink, but then I went on to speak about alternative policy's the government could use like subsidising alternatives and minimum price on healthy food and drink, was I wrong to talk about alternative policy's???
Original post by !:£:&'m
In my 25 marker on sugary foods and drinks I spoke about tax and strengths and weakeness of this like the regressive effects and the effectivenI ess of the tax being dependent on the elasticity of the food and drink, but then I went on to speak about alternative policy's the government could use like subsidising alternatives and minimum price on healthy food and drink, was I wrong to talk about alternative policy's???

I did and everyone at my school did so I sure you are fine, as long as you came to a conclusion about the effectiveness of tax, and wrote 1 or 2 paragraphs on it.
Original post by !:£:&'m
In my 25 marker on sugary foods and drinks I spoke about tax and strengths and weakeness of this like the regressive effects and the effectiveness of the tax being dependent on the elasticity of the food and drink, but then I went on to speak about alternative policy's the government could use like subsidising alternatives and minimum price on healthy food and drink, was I wrong to talk about alternative policy's???

Nope you could talk about alternatives, it's part of evaluating if there's a better option. I mentioned subsidies in small detail because I was running out of time
Original post by Temuchin
I did and everyone at my school did so I sure you are fine, as long as you came to a conclusion about the effectiveness of tax, and wrote 1 or 2 paragraphs on it.

Few that's reassuring thankyou!
Original post by Remaine
How did people answer the 25 marker for Context 1 - I am semi worried. This is what I did, see if you can impart wisdom, I would just like to know if I was on the right lines:

- I said there is a market failure in the allocative inefficiency of the firm
- then drew a diagram to show the point of allocative efficiency, the welfare loss caused by the monopoly from restricting output/ increasing prices, and pointed out the consumer surplus lost in favour of company profits; indication of exploitation of consumers
- talked about how privatisation reduces x-inefficiency, and forces firms to be efficient
- talked about how PFIs enable less tax in the short run, and how they enable the construction of good facilities as the gov do not have to pay it back immediately
- then said that the PFIs result in higher taxes for future generations, privatisation can result in privatised monopolies which can be expensive to regulate, and how the PFIs lead to higher costs in the long run as the gov will eventually have to pay it back
- Evaluation being that it is good in a short run but bad in the long run
- mentioned deregulation as something you can use with privatisation - and then deaded that idea by mentioning the disadvantages; firms have no incentive to be productively efficient again

Was this on the right lines?

If anyone can impart wisdom, that would be gr8
Reply 529
Original post by Temuchin
Essay 3

15 marker
Explain sugary drinks are a demerit good
Draw negative externalities diagram
Points included:
Bounded self control
Imperfect information
Low price
Habitual nature of drinks
Comparison to substitutes

25 marker
Define points, tax, market failure etc.
Outline argument

Tax on consumers
Lower demand and thus consumption
Depends on elasticity of demand
Depends on level of tax
Government failure
Manipulation of price mechanism

Tax on producers
Less profit incentive
Fall in supply
Depends on market type e.g in an oligopoly there is still brand loyalty
Considered whether it actually solved the issue of consumption

Behavioural economic policies as alternative
Nudges
Choice architecture
Provision of information
Argued that it can be seen as manipulative
Humans are always going to be irrational

Conclusion
Tax is dependent on elasticity
Believe behavioural economics is better if it is balanced between being effective and manipulative

This is what I put, hope it's ok

That is similar to what I wrote, I mainly focussed on Choice Architecture, nudges and herding behavior for the behavioral economics side.
Original post by RimaB
That is similar to what I wrote, I mainly focussed on Choice Architecture, nudges and herding behavior for the behavioral economics side.

Nice to hear, hope it pays off :smile:
It's done guys... Time to rectify our mistakes in paper 2/3!
Will I loose marks for not talking about behavioural economics in the 15 markers of why sugary drinks are over consumed ?

I spoke about:

Consumers imperfect info
Firms ignoring externalities and thus produce at the quantity where the mpb is equal to the mpc due to increased demand
Addictive nature of sugary drinks and other demerit goods means that even if prices are increased to try and reduce demand due to the inelastic demand consumers are still likely to over consume.

Also added a point on policies aimed at reducing this issue with over consumption
defined all key terms
Facts- NHS costs for obesity 16.1 billion. PED sugary drinks and other addictive products in region of 0.3-0.6.
Diagram- demerit good i.e MPB greater than MSB
Reply 533
Any grade boundary predictions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ademjh
Any grade boundary predictions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Higher than last year was a simple paper
Guys for the Essay 3, 25 marker with externalities could u have one of the solutions as choice architecture by firms? Like framing and stuff of menus and putting up pics of healthy food etc.
Original post by TripleXenia
Guys for the Essay 3, 25 marker with externalities could u have one of the solutions as choice architecture by firms? Like framing and stuff of menus and putting up pics of healthy food etc.

Yeah that'd be fine. I wrote about how people have bounded rationality and so a tax wouldn't work in part because of inelastic PED. But also classical economic theory suggests than an increase in price of unhealthy food should lead to a decrease in the demand for unhealthy food, however bounded rationality may mean this isn't the case and people may just continue buying unhealthy food as they would've done without a tax. It is assumed people are rational all the time when they likely are not. I also said stuff like unhealthy snacks in vending machines found in hospitals and schools have become a sort of 'social norm' and that in order for this to change the government should replace these unhealthy vending machines with healthy ones to make healthy snacks a more 'default option' by making unhealthy food more difficult to access. I said there needed to be a shift in social attitudes and that "Junk food" needs to stop being viewed as the quick, easy option. I think anything like that would be fine?
Original post by Danllo
I done context 1 (Privitisation) and Essay 2 on Price discrimination

What was context 2 on ? The 25 marker ?

Essay two was poverty though???

Context 2 was gender pay gaps
Original post by RG110man
Yeah that'd be fine. I wrote about how people have bounded rationality and so a tax wouldn't work in part because of inelastic PED. But also classical economic theory suggests than an increase in price of unhealthy food should lead to a decrease in the demand for unhealthy food, however bounded rationality may mean this isn't the case and people may just continue buying unhealthy food as they would've done without a tax. It is assumed people are rational all the time when they likely are not. I also said stuff like unhealthy snacks in vending machines found in hospitals and schools have become a sort of 'social norm' and that in order for this to change the government should replace these unhealthy vending machines with healthy ones to make healthy snacks a more 'default option' by making unhealthy food more difficult to access. I said there needed to be a shift in social attitudes and that "Junk food" needs to stop being viewed as the quick, easy option. I think anything like that would be fine?

You can also talk about nudges and making it a status quo to place sugary and unhealthy foods above eyelevel. However, due to bounded rationality, consumers may hyperbolically discount and want shorter smaller rewards such as unhealthy foods instead of longer larger rewards such as being physically in shape
Reply 539
mannn that exam ****ed me, stupidly chose to do the gender pay gap then realised it was a dead ass 25 marker, left to do the sugar one (ofc) then had 5 mins to finish the 25 marker for pay gap which as u can imagine went tits up, no conclusion, no coherent points, used a monopsony diagram even though there was absolutely no context in which to place it.

Good day at the office.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending