The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4300
Original post by trustmeimlying1
On dating sites in general? Met any nice girls etc?

1 date from POF and 1 from OKC.

OKC girl seemed more like a friend lol and that's just what we are now. The one from POF was going really well and then she faded.

Talking to another one now, fingers crossed...
Original post by UWS

OKC girl seemed more like a friend lol and that's just what we are now. The one from POF was going really well and then she faded.

Im talking to nobody :colonhash:
Reply 4302
Original post by FireFreezer77
I've put a lot of effort into it. Seen what others have done and taken inspiration from that. Looked at advice from online too. I don't know what else I can do.
I've never sent a generic message on any dating site in my life. I always mention an interest they state in their profile and ask a question about it.

Better/clearer profile pics?

r/okcupid are helpful, they'll provide with a critique if you post your profile. That's good that you mention an interest to message them, sounds like you're doing things right. What sort of girls are you messaging though? If it's always the 9 or 10/10s then you stand less chance since they're always flooded with messages.
Reply 4303
Original post by Fermion.

You can PM me to change that then :h:
Original post by UWS

Is POF as good as OKC?

I get real nervous tbh...don't particularly enjoy meeting strangers as social anxiety so thats probably my biggest issue. Not sure how to overcome it either other than just force myself to meet people.

Ah. London is hard for relationships I imagine. So much choice and distraction. Best to be exclusive fast.

Good luck bud, keep us updated.
Reply 4305
Is POF as good as OKC?

I get real nervous tbh...don't particularly enjoy meeting strangers as social anxiety so thats probably my biggest issue. Not sure how to overcome it either other than just force myself to meet people.

Ah. London is hard for relationships I imagine. So much choice and distraction. Best to be exclusive fast.

Good luck bud, keep us updated.

If I'm being honest, POF sucks compared to OKC. The search feature on POF includes people outside of the filter (like if I just want to see girls aged 19-25, they'll throw 27-29 at me) and the interface sucks compared OKC. Having said that my most "successful" date came from POF so I don't hate it.

OKC is good because some people pay attention to the match %, I've found I get replies from people with over an 80% match the most and you can sort of gauge what the person is like from their questions. There was one girl who answered a question which said she only showered or brushed her teeth when she felt like it and that really put me off :rofl:

I've met several people online (3 from TSR and 1 elsewhere) before I took up online dating so meeting people online isn't a problem, it's just getting to that stage which is hard because of the competition!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by FireFreezer77
Sorry to hear it's gone now :frown:
I juts can't see it happening, I have no interaction with anyone outside of work (I'm looking at joining clubs though)
Aww do t get all tears eyed :console:

It's said way way too often!
I honestly don't believe in this *itll happen when you least expect it* never have done, never will.
I can't see anything happening for me unless I make it happen. I just need some co-operation from the other party. That's what I'm struggling with currently.

Well firstly, I can relate to your situation :smile: I'm on a dating site and I had an occasion where a girl messaged me, I messaged back and she never replied :lol: and recently I've started to think "maybe I'm just 'too nice'", "maybe I have to change a bit?" but if something makes you change who you truly are inside, well I don't think that's right. :smile:

When people say it'll happen when you least expect it, I take it to mean that when you're going out not even thinking about girls - when you're not really 'searching', something will happen and you will meet someone.
That's not to say that you can't try and make things happen of course.
You can control your own destiny. :tongue:

I also think that maybe it would be good to focus on yourself. That's what I'm doing at the moment. Don't make girls such a big priority. Of course you can still do things that could lead to dates or whatever; dating websites or apps or whatever might work for you really but just focus on yourself and your own needs. Love yourself first and be the best person that you can be. :smile:
I suppose just try and have more of a casual approach really...
^ I'm certainly not claiming to know it all when it comes to this though XD I fall for girls too easily and this is something I'm trying to keep in mind and learn from. I really do understand what you're going through!

But just keep at it :smile: I know it can be extremely hard and disheartening but just keep on going!
Because you will find someone for you. You'll find that person that values and loves you for you. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by UWS
If I'm being honest, POF sucks compared to OKC. The search feature on POF includes people outside of the filter (like if I just want to see girls aged 19-25, they'll throw 27-29 at me) and the interface sucks compared OKC. Having said that my most "successful" date came from POF so I don't hate it.

OKC is good because some people pay attention to the match %, I've found I get replies from people with over an 80% match the most and you can sort of gauge what the person is like from their questions. There was one girl who answered a question which said she only showered or brushed her teeth when she felt like it and that really put me off :rofl:

I've met several people online (3 from TSR and 1 elsewhere) before I took up online dating so meeting people online isn't a problem, it's just getting to that stage which is hard because of the competition!
Haha I might give it a go for the craic. Seems a bit mad alright xD

Why oh why do people pay attention to the match %. Letting a computer decide your life such a joke. Some of the best people I get along with are enemies with me on that site. I admire her nerve to admit such a thing or perhaps her naivety. Either way its kinda cute.

I've met a few from online but still find it fair awkward. Perhaps itl get better with practice and booze, its been a while.
Reply 4308
Haha I might give it a go for the craic. Seems a bit mad alright xD

Why oh why do people pay attention to the match %. Letting a computer decide your life such a joke. Some of the best people I get along with are enemies with me on that site. I admire her nerve to admit such a thing or perhaps her naivety. Either way its kinda cute.

I've met a few from online but still find it fair awkward. Perhaps itl get better with practice and booze, its been a while.

It is fun, can get a bit time consuming though... Gotta sacrifice TSR to get girls though :rofl:

They want some algorithm to determine if two people are good together, it's only accurate to a certain extent but the girl i went on a date with had a match of 69% (yeah, yeah) so it really makes no difference lol.

I guess so, just be normal though and don't overthink it if you ever date a girl online. First date should be drinks so you get relaxed with alcohol then haha.

You and me both :lol:
Original post by UWS
It is fun, can get a bit time consuming though... Gotta sacrifice TSR to get girls though :rofl:

They want some algorithm to determine if two people are good together, it's only accurate to a certain extent but the girl i went on a date with had a match of 69% (yeah, yeah) so it really makes no difference lol.

I guess so, just be normal though and don't overthink it if you ever date a girl online. First date should be drinks so you get relaxed with alcohol then haha.
You have to sacrifice TSR or I do?

Wahey we all know how that ended.

Its especially awkward if they are overly forward or older. They expect yeh to be smooth. It's not happening. Not easy to be normal when you're not normal xD But yeh I should try meet a few to get confidence back.
Original post by UWS
You can PM me to change that then :h:

Yeah i meant like romantically lols
Reply 4312
You have to sacrifice TSR or I do?

Wahey we all know how that ended.

Its especially awkward if they are overly forward or older. They expect yeh to be smooth. It's not happening. Not easy to be normal when you're not normal xD But yeh I should try meet a few to get confidence back.

All of us, I guess :moon:

Or you can just attend meetups or something. Real life dating is better anyway, I'm doing online until I'm bored tbh.

Yeah i meant like romantically lols

Oh. What I'm doing is hardly romantic lol, just a first date. Still single AF :rofl:
Original post by KEC_Rob
I'm feeling ecstatic after seeing your avatar paying homage to The Church. Very under-rated band. Reptile is a gem of a song. :u:

Ah they're one of my all-time favourites! :biggrin:
Indeed, hugely underrated. It's a dream to see them live one day :tongue:

I really appreciate nearly everything they've done. I love atmospheric, neo-psychedelic sort of stuff.
Hotel Womb is one of my all-time favourite songs ever...
Original post by SassKing13
Ah they're one of my all-time favourites! :biggrin:
Indeed, hugely underrated. It's a dream to see them live one day :tongue:

I really appreciate nearly everything they've done. I love atmospheric, neo-psychedelic sort of stuff.
Hotel Womb is one of my all-time favourite songs ever...

Try out the Psychedelic Furs - they're a similar sort of band and might be to your taste.

Like many Australian bands The Church were never very successful on a commercial scale. The only Australian I can think of aside from Minogue is the excellent Nick Cave - not the best singer but a great musician - and even he struggled through from the start to his Tender Prey album and its only recently that he's really came to the attention of many people. His band, The Birthday Party, really struggled but like yourself with The Church I'm a fan. if you get a few minutes listen to Nick The Stripper or Zoo-Music Girl from their debut Prayers On Fire album. Very nice taste of post-punk.
Chronic illness and depression is a constant reminder of the fragility of the mind and body.
Original post by KEC_Rob
Try out the Psychedelic Furs - they're a similar sort of band and might be to your taste.

Like many Australian bands The Church were never very successful on a commercial scale. The only Australian I can think of aside from Minogue is the excellent Nick Cave - not the best singer but a great musician - and even he struggled through from the start to his Tender Prey album and its only recently that he's really came to the attention of many people. His band, The Birthday Party, really struggled but like yourself with The Church I'm a fan. if you get a few minutes listen to Nick The Stripper or Zoo-Music Girl from their debut Prayers On Fire album. Very nice taste of post-punk.

I am aware of The Psychedelic Furs actually. They certainly are the sort of stuff that I like.

And yes, I've gathered that The Church are a bit of an enigma. :tongue: I also love Echo and the Bunnymen and The Chameleons.

I know Nick Cave is very highly regarded. I was reading up on him recently actually. I may get around to checking him out sometime. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
I feel pretty good :smile: Recently came back from a trip traveling round central europe and it has given me inspiration for my music making. I must have made about 30 different FM synth patches over the past couple days. A lot of cool sounds that I can't wait to put to work as I aim to release an EP in the near future and release it on Spotify, Apple music, Google music and maybe register a single for the official UK charts just for a laugh :tongue: It feels good to have a clear goal for once and a lot of motivation to achieve it :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by UWS
All of us, I guess :moon:

Or you can just attend meetups or something. Real life dating is better anyway, I'm doing online until I'm bored tbh.

Oh. What I'm doing is hardly romantic lol, just a first date. Still single AF :rofl:

Smh date me:u:
Original post by SassKing13
I am aware of The Psychedelic Furs actually. They certainly are the sort of stuff that I like.

And yes, I've gathered that The Church are a bit of an enigma. :tongue: I also love Echo and the Bunnymen and The Chameleons.

I know Nick Cave is very highly regarded. I was reading up on him recently actually. I may get around to checking him out sometime. :smile:

Comsat Angels and The Sound need a listen. Adrian Borland is one of my inspirations and a tragic figure plagued so badly by his thoughts and later on his schizophrenia that he threw himself in front of a train.. . Neither were commercially successful and I wouldn't be at all surprised if you hadn't came across either but check them out. Maybe The Teardrop Explode and And Also The Trees would also be good for you... Sad Lovers And Giants, Pere Ubu, RLYL and the list goes on.

Happy listening.

Latest