The Student Room Group

WJEC MS4 media studies exam

Would anybody have predictions for the WJEC MS4 media studies exam? I'm studying tv, film and advertising campaigns, I know it's a hard one to predict however anything would be a great help
I'm doing the same industries, and yeah its hard to predict - however I've been through all the past papers and looked at what comes up the most. With section A, you cant really tell - you're always going to get either Representation and Genre, Genre and Narrative or Narrative and Representation questions - the specifics of these questions are too random to predict I'm afraid - just make sure you have a good idea about G, N and R for each of the case studies for your chosen industry for section A. For section B however, audience questions seem to be the most popular, with Audience appeal coming up in 5 questions since 2009 - and all variants of audience questions coming to a total of 11 audience questions since 2009 in section B (including topics such as positioning, response etc.) So it's a good bet that audience will be involved in section B somehow. Other than that, Global, Marketing and Digital technology are pretty common questions - as is regulation. However, they may throw in a 'one-off' question - such as one they did on celebrity endorsement or high production values.
Reply 2
Media is my best subject and I am soooo nervous for this exam. I'm doing Film, TV and Music
I have a feeling it might be narrative and genre when looking at the past, however have no idea! I'm doing film - deadpool, skyfall and the selfish giant. Video games - GTA V, COD:IW and Firewatch and advertising - coco mademoiselle, protein world and brad and dan!
Reply 4
Original post by _cxw
Media is my best subject and I am soooo nervous for this exam. I'm doing Film, TV and Music

I'm so nervous too but I was speaking to people who have done it before and they said the coursework is usually harder than the exam at A2, so hopefully we will be fine
Reply 5
Original post by sophie254
I actually thought those questions weren't too bad, stereotypical representations was quite a nice one to get considering what it could have been! Section B was kinda okay too, I thought.Hope everyone found it okay :smile:

I actually liked the questions, I Mentioned every film tv show and ad we studied, thought I could've wrote a lot more if I wasn't pushed for time
Original post by aoife6258
I actually liked the questions, I Mentioned every film tv show and ad we studied, thought I could've wrote a lot more if I wasn't pushed for time

I'm really worried because I ran out of time. I wrote like 8 pages for the representation, 6 pages for audience and then only had 20 minutes to write for my last one :frown:((( I only wrote 2 and a half pages. I am so frustrated at myself
Original post by beccatrav
I'm really worried because I ran out of time. I wrote like 8 pages for the representation, 6 pages for audience and then only had 20 minutes to write for my last one :frown:((( I only wrote 2 and a half pages. I am so frustrated at myself

I wouldn't worry because we had a chief examiner come into our school and he said the last question is always the most rushed and essentially worst of them all and the examiners take that into account, please don't be annoyed at yourself! I'm kinda frustrated that I answered the genre question when I know I could've made my life easier by answering representation hahah x
Reply 8
Original post by lauren_mh
I wouldn't worry because we had a chief examiner come into our school and he said the last question is always the most rushed and essentially worst of them all and the examiners take that into account, please don't be annoyed at yourself! I'm kinda frustrated that I answered the genre question when I know I could've made my life easier by answering representation hahah x

did anyone do audience response ? for section b
Original post by lorenj98
did anyone do audience response ? for section b

mee! I had literally written my response and learnt it last night so was so happs when it came up
mee! I had literally written my response and learnt it last night so was so happs when it came up

what did ou write about ?? like preffered readings, pleasures, uses and gratifacations and how they inlfluence the response does that sound kinda right?? hahahaha idk if i did it right none of my class did the question
Original post by lorenj98
what did ou write about ?? like preffered readings, pleasures, uses and gratifacations and how they inlfluence the response does that sound kinda right?? hahahaha idk if i did it right none of my class did the question

Audience response is literally the different ways audiences respond to a media text, due to the polysemic nature of them, so yeah defo preferred / oppositional readings and how like different genders / people of varied ages responded to the text!
Reply 12
Did we need to write conclusions for the questions that asked 'to what extent?'!! Because we never really had time to write them?

That makes me feel a little better, thank you! I got a C last year in Media and this year I was B/C borderline for my coursework but I really want a B this year. Fingers crossed aha x
Original post by beccatrav
That makes me feel a little better, thank you! I got a C last year in Media and this year I was B/C borderline for my coursework but I really want a B this year. Fingers crossed aha x

I got an A last year and was A* for my coursework, but I genuinely don't know how well I did in this exam lol... so we'll see :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending