The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fonzworth
I've chosen Physics for next year but apparently, it's really difficult and involves a lot more maths than GCSE - maths is my weak subject.

I'm an A*-B student in science besides Chemistry, and I don't think Physics will be useful on its on, especially without A-Level Maths.

I'm currently at the end of my AS year of Physics. Without A-Level maths you will be needing to put in more effort into physics.

There is a fair amount more maths in AS than GCSE, and from what I've seen there's a lot more maths in A2.

It's definately doable, but if you aren't good at maths then you're going to have to put more work in then fellow classmates.
Reply 2
Original post by AHappyStudent
I'm currently at the end of my AS year of Physics. Without A-Level maths you will be needing to put in more effort into physics.

There is a fair amount more maths in AS than GCSE, and from what I've seen there's a lot more maths in A2.

It's definately doable, but if you aren't good at maths then you're going to have to put more work in then fellow classmates.

If I don't enjoy maths, is there a high chance that I won't enjoy physics?
If I don't enjoy maths, is there a high chance that I won't enjoy physics?

There is a lot of maths in physics, so you might not. That said, there are people who do physics at university without liking maths at your level but just learn how to do it. If you can just put your head down and work when it comes to the maths parts then you'll be fine.

Did you enjoy physics at GCSE and why did you take it?
Reply 4
The A-level physics course as a whole is around 40% maths so if you don't enjoy maths it will probably not be for you. Also, there are A2 modules which really require a good knowledge of A2 maths so you would probably struggle with these, unless you dropped it after AS (in which case there is little point in struggling through AS Physics without the requisite mathematical knowledge only to get a qualification that you won't carry on to A2).

Speaking as somebody who has just finished A2 (Maths, Further maths, Physics) and is predicted 3 A*s, I know how much work has to go in to physics and I can't imagine doing physics without maths. I have a few friends who tried it but all dropped it after AS with poor grades (possibly more indicative of work ethic than their ability but an E is an E at the end of the day).

I would think very carefully about doing physics without maths and bear in mind that you probably wouldn't be able to do A2 physics without either a) a huge amount of effort, or b) taking maths courses on your own
Don't do it without maths.

And yes it's pretty hard.
Reply 6
Original post by AHappyStudent
There is a lot of maths in physics, so you might not. That said, there are people who do physics at university without liking maths at your level but just learn how to do it. If you can just put your head down and work when it comes to the maths parts then you'll be fine.

Did you enjoy physics at GCSE and why did you take it?

Physics is one of my best sciences along with Biology, and I thought that Physics would be the best subjects to widen my future options
Reply 7
Physics is one of my best sciences along with Biology, and I thought that Physics would be the best subjects to widen my future options

What is it that you want to do post-18 with physics but not maths, just put of curiosity?
Not for you. After gcse level, physics is maths
Reply 9
Original post by RBP_98
What is it that you want to do post-18 with physics but not maths, just put of curiosity?

I'm unsure, some nearby unis allow you to do computer science with A-Level Physics and a good GCSE Maths grade if you don't do it at A-Level.

I was considering being a pilot or air traffic controller, whilst physics isn't needed, they recommend that it may help in the actual job
Reply 10
I'm unsure, some nearby unis allow you to do computer science with A-Level Physics and a good GCSE Maths grade if you don't do it at A-Level.

I was considering being a pilot or air traffic controller, whilst physics isn't needed, they recommend that it may help in the actual job

I have a few friends going down both the computer science and aviation routes and they have all taken a level maths as this is one of the strongest a levels to have for either career path, but if you aren't confident with maths (i.e. not at A/A* GCSE grade) then don't take it as the step up is very large and I know a lot of people who couldn't manage it even with a lot of effort and time being put in.
Reply 11
Original post by RBP_98
I have a few friends going down both the computer science and aviation routes and they have all taken a level maths as this is one of the strongest a levels to have for either career path, but if you aren't confident with maths (i.e. not at A/A* GCSE grade) then don't take it as the step up is very large and I know a lot of people who couldn't manage it even with a lot of effort and time being put in.

Would you recommend changing Physics for something else? Maybe like Biology or Economics?
yo wassup!!! i take as physics and maths and yea its useful but so far, for me the maths is not the problem for me. its basically GCSE maths and id say the hardest thing is like doing ratio and trigonometry and thats pretty simple. i know people who take physics and not maths and they're doing okay!!! you'll just have to pay extra attention when doing the maths!!
Reply 13
Would you recommend changing Physics for something else? Maybe like Biology or Economics?

Depends, all 3 are good a levels but if you take physics without maths then you will almost certainly have to drop it after AS because the A2 course requires a deeper understanding of maths than GCSE maths (and to some extent AS maths) could ever give. If you are doing 4 subjects initially then this may be less of a problem and you could always spend the summer between year 12 and 13 getting ahead with the maths through online study (but this would be a large undertaking) and then finish year 13 with your other three a levels and an AS in physics, I would advise talking to your teachers and about the levels of difficulty and the effort required so that they can personally advise you
Yo!
y13 physicist here. To be honest.. yes there's maths, a fair chunk of maths. However, bare with me, as I also hated maths, was (and still am) rubbish at it. The only real maths skills required for physics a-level are;
- equation rearrangement (not too bad)
- trig (eh.. still hate it, but it makes more sense in a physics context)
- Logarithms (The most disgusting horrible, confusing and hateful maths part of physics on my spec, but not a huge part (to do with radioactivity mostly).
Other than that.. you're good. So, my advice? If you like physics, then go for it. Maths is an unavoidable part, but the physics aspects of the maths are quite fun and engaging, so it's not so bad.
Good luck to you!
Reply 15
Original post by LooneyOoney
Yo!
y13 physicist here. To be honest.. yes there's maths, a fair chunk of maths. However, bare with me, as I also hated maths, was (and still am) rubbish at it. The only real maths skills required for physics a-level are;
- equation rearrangement (not too bad)
- trig (eh.. still hate it, but it makes more sense in a physics context)
- Logarithms (The most disgusting horrible, confusing and hateful maths part of physics on my spec, but not a huge part (to do with radioactivity mostly).
Other than that.. you're good. So, my advice? If you like physics, then go for it. Maths is an unavoidable part, but the physics aspects of the maths are quite fun and engaging, so it's not so bad.
Good luck to you!

Around what grade are you working at what did you get at AS?
Doing A level physics without taking math, is basically like trying to write without a pen, running without legs, shouting without a voice, it doesn't work
It's already difficult on its own, don't take it or
Take math and physics, math AS is actually really easy, you can finish it, know all the basics and drop it in A2, where it actually gets hella tough and then carry on with Phy with your AS math level
GCSE math is nothing
Around what grade are you working at what did you get at AS?

I'm currently at a B grade. I could push for A, but I'm not a highly motivated individual (It's not too hard.. just.. a lot of revision, which I'm not big on).
At AS I got an A, on the OCR physics a spec.
Reply 18
At my college it is core to do maths with physics, and the entrance requirements for physics is AB in maths and physics respectively. That said, while physics is heavily mathematical, you will find the 'choosing an equation'/working out what the question is asking harder than the actual maths. Once you have worked out the equation you need to use and converted your values/rearranged, it is just substitution. This is likely to change at A2. I have just finished my AS Physics on OCR B Advancing Physics Spec.
I've chosen Physics for next year but apparently, it's really difficult and involves a lot more maths than GCSE - maths is my weak subject.

I'm an A*-B student in science besides Chemistry, and I don't think Physics will be useful on its on, especially without A-Level Maths.

I finished my A-level physics course and It does involve a-lot of maths.

If you are weak in maths , It really depends on what topics you are weak on.

You need to be able to solve linear quadratic equations , understand direct and inverse proportionality, Rearrange equations. Be able to work with index form a-lot. Take this from a student who has done all the past papers from AQA for A2 and has looked at most of the calculation questions that come up.

The reason why it's so difficult is because It's not as simple as plugging numbers into an equation and getting an answer. In certain topics , you might have to setup your own equations , for example in F=ma. (don't worry if you don't understand this)

IF you were to take physics i strongly recommend taking maths , even if its just for AS. It really helps in A2 physics. :P

(Also , have a look at M1 maths , That's really similar to AS physics. If you don't like M1 then you won't like physics too much)

From my standpoint , Physics is really difficult or seen to be one of the hardest A-level's just because the content is extremely difficult to grasp.
IF you encounter something in A-level physics , especially A2. You have to accept that it happens even though it doesn't make much sense.

I struggled a lot trying to learn the content for A-level physics , but once you understand it , you should be fine :smile:

I done AQA if you're wondering :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)

Latest