The Student Room Group

OCR AL Psychology (New): Research methods H167/1 & H567/1 - 15 May & 07 Jun 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BEARichards
Guys, about the n-1/n thing in Standard Deviation.

OCR have explicitly stated that either of those formulae are FINE- n-1 is the sample variance, n is the population variance.

They have specified that either are correct for use in the exam and you will not be penalised for using one and not the other as both are technically correct.

Ahh ok thanks!
Original post by Virolite
definitely higher than last year, there were few discriminating questions if that

I disagree i think the same or slightly lower as not everyone took the exam last year, im sorry but you are awfully cocky about this, well done if u did well but i think nationally people wouldnt have known the standard deviation and wont have got all the multiple choice right, i personaly dont know how much they wanted us to right for the 15 marker but they gave way to many points to cover, i recon i lost aroun 15 marks also so im hoping this is still an A but i dont know if it will be
i hope grade boundaries are low this year, i didnt even bother counting how many marks i lose
Original post by clairebear101
I disagree i think the same or slightly lower as not everyone took the exam last year, im sorry but you are awfully cocky about this, well done if u did well but i think nationally people wouldnt have known the standard deviation and wont have got all the multiple choice right, i personaly dont know how much they wanted us to right for the 15 marker but they gave way to many points to cover, i recon i lost aroun 15 marks also so im hoping this is still an A but i dont know if it will be

gcse maths hard?
Original post by Virolite
gcse maths hard?

Dude with all due respect, you can see that other people struggled a bit with this exam, the last thing they want to hear is you talking about how easy you found it... have a bit of dignity, congrats and all for thinking you've done well, but please have a bit of class...
Dude with all due respect, you can see that other people struggled a bit with this exam, the last thing they want to hear is you talking about how easy you found it... have a bit of dignity, congrats and all for thinking you've done well, but please have a bit of class...

snm sorry
What did all of you put for the research aim ? Was it wanting a specific aim such as one variable or just dreams generally ?
Original post by Jude2800
What did all of you put for the research aim ? Was it wanting a specific aim such as one variable or just dreams generally ?

I don't think they wanted a single variable, I think it was general dreams :smile: I wrote something along the lines of "to investigate through self-report the factors that influence dreaming habits"
Reply 268
For the questionaire point i just wrote about the fact i would have 15 questions which a alot and so would be able to gather reliable consiatant fata about a range of dreaming behaviours, im worried about the 15 marker as i dont think i was clear enoigh or linked it to my own research in enough detail, i also finished 40 mins ealer so im worried i did something wrong or missed a page!!

For the questionnaire I spoke about how it is less time consuming and less costly to produce so it will be easy to produce them for all the participants. I also spoke about other things but I was quite confused on this part.
Original post by RimaB
For the questionnaire I spoke about how it is less time consuming and less costly to produce so it will be easy to produce them for all the participants. I also spoke about other things but I was quite confused on this part.

I recon you could have talked about any aspect of a questionaire, as long as you say why its good, they will have to credit a range of answers for this
I don't think they wanted a single variable, I think it was general dreams :smile: I wrote something along the lines of "to investigate through self-report the factors that influence dreaming habits"

Same i wrote something like - "to investigate dreaming behaviours through self report and how they differ between people such as the frequency of the dreams"
Same i wrote something like - "to investigate dreaming behaviours through self report and how they differ between people such as the frequency of the dreams"

Laughing because i wrote this then crossed it out because it looked wrong and wrote: 'To investigate factors that effect dreams' :bawling:
Reply 272
That was such a ridiculous 15 marker. I wrote about the effect of food on dreaming because it felt a bit awkward having to list off several variables and it was all so vague 😔. Also what were those requirements?!
Original post by ac3005
That was such a ridiculous 15 marker. I wrote about the effect of food on dreaming because it felt a bit awkward having to list off several variables and it was all so vague 😔. Also what were those requirements?!

The requirements asked for
Sampling and Sampling Techniques
Your Questionnaire
Open or Closed Questions
Likert Scale Questions

Right?
Original post by LenniesRabbit
Your Questionnaire
Open or Closed Questions
Likert Scale Questions

Right?

Yeah, Though I think it said open and closed questions. But I only did close.
Your Questionnaire
Open or Closed Questions
Likert Scale Questions

Right?

can someone tell me how their answer compared to my ideas cuz im worried :frown: So i started by saying i would use self report technique and how i would do it for example putting an ad in 4 local newspaper and giving an email adreess to respond if people were interested in a dreaming study. Then said the strengh was that participants will be likely to complete the questionaire fully and give well thought out answers since they volenteered themselves and are interesred. I said this would collect a sample of at least 30 members of the public 18+ from a range of occupations and how this was representative of dreaming behaviours and then gave an experience of using self selcting before and getting data back very quickly and so this sample should also be quick to obtain.
For the questionaire bullet point i gave 3 examples of questions and said in total i would use a mix of 15 questions about dreaming behaviours and explained the strengh of using lots of questions and a time when i had used lots of questions in a questionaire before.

Then gave an exmaple of a closed and open question, i explained the strengh of a closed question and when i had used it before

I then gave a likert question and explained that they give the participant a range of positions on the scale to choose from, increasing the validity of the dream beavhiour data and then explained that when i used them before i got quantitiative data that could be used to easily analyse and compare dreams in this study.
can someone tell me how their answer compared to my ideas cuz im worried :frown: So i started by saying i would use self report technique and how i would do it for example putting an ad in 4 local newspaper and giving an email adreess to respond if people were interested in a dreaming study. Then said the strengh was that participants will be likely to complete the questionaire fully and give well thought out answers since they volenteered themselves and are interesred. I said this would collect a sample of at least 30 members of the public 18+ from a range of occupations and how this was representative of dreaming behaviours and then gave an experience of using self selcting before and getting data back very quickly and so this sample should also be quick to obtain.
For the questionaire bullet point i gave 3 examples of questions and said in total i would use a mix of 15 questions about dreaming behaviours and explained the strengh of using lots of questions and a time when i had used lots of questions in a questionaire before.

Then gave an exmaple of a closed and open question, i explained the strengh of a closed question and when i had used it before

I then gave a likert question and explained that they give the participant a range of positions on the scale to choose from, increasing the validity of the dream beavhiour data and then explained that when i used them before i got quantitiative data that could be used to easily analyse and compare dreams in this study.

Thats pretty much how I approached it too. I just tried to approach each of the bullet points, justify why I had said what I did and then linked it to my own questionnaire that I had done
guess im so worried i did bad as finished like 40 mins ealry , did i miss a page!? im a quick writer and althought i could have written more for the 15 marker i still wrote about 3 pages and maybe its bec i did the multiple chioce in 10 mins and am confident with maths> idk

I finished 25 minutes early and also finished the multiple choice question in 10 minutes! I'm sure it will be fine :smile:
I messed up that MCQ on Chaney - I guessed open questions as I swear I haven't been taught about the questions in the questionnaire used...
I put eye sight for the one on memory
the rest of the MCQ's were ok I thought, I finished them in like 10 minutes
Section B for the aim mine was pretty vague I basically said to investigate how extraneous variables such as age can affect dreams
The 15 marker I wrote another side in the additional booklet, they gave us way too much to do by putting sample and sampling point in one bullet point, and having the vague "your questionnaire" - I just said about how i would use a critical question and then put examples and said how filler questions would reduce demand characteristics and increase validity - do you think thats ok? I read something before the exam about likert scales increasing ecological validity so I wrote that for that point
I swear OCR is has wasted the paper by having 3 questions on standard deviation like - they could have done so much more with hypotheses and also NO GRAPHS OR ANYTHING WAS IN THERE!! I revised histograms so much lol and I was ready to do a better pie chart than last year with my compass :d
I think the 5 marker on how to do standard deviation was okay - I just put how you work out the mean, then you do the scores on maths test take away the mean squared, then you work out the mean of those and divide it by participant number (6) - 1 and square root, I think that is right anyway!!
Also when it asked what info it would produce I said about how it shows the spread of scores and how spread apart they are???? is that right??
Also what was the question where it had the standard deviation scores given to us and then asked something about what they show?? I wasn't sure about that question...
I messed up and said it was chi squared and not mann whitney U - I can't believe I did that!!! Either way I wouldn't have known what to write for how they are ranked question!
The strengths and weaknesses questions were good I think
the last two questions on hypothesis testing and manipulation of variables I just sort of made it up and hoped for the best
I was laughing at the "number of words recalled" for the MATHS test :d but I worked it out by taking the mean I had calculated and dividing by max score (20) and x100 and I'm pretty sure I got that right but I reckon they won't count the question anyway
hopefully low grade boundaries because of the misprints and everyone seems to have found it difficult! :smile:
Now just core studies and applied!!!
Laughing because i wrote this then crossed it out because it looked wrong and wrote: 'To investigate factors that effect dreams' :bawling:

That should be fine, as you made sure you had the context and it said on the paragraph that factors that effect dream

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending