The Student Room Group

OCR A level history 2017

Scroll to see replies

wagwan Historians anyone have any idea how to revise thematics espc Middle East, kinda last minute but our teacher is awful
Original post by y33zus
Do you mean the coursework? We don't get our marks until results day:frown:
I really need to practise interpretations lol

I think we all do tbh; they're pretty challenging.
but I have a few tips if you want them? I think they work; they got me from 11 to 21 in one interpritation essay.

Original post by violeta23
What mark did you get for your historical essay?

I'm nervous too. Really nervous. I dunno for the essay questions but for the interpretation Q. I think it'll be something on Khrushchev.

And I am hoping Khrushchev comes up; either him or Alexander II I can do like the back of my hand, but the PG is something that I still don't properly understand.
Reply 82
Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie
I think we all do tbh; they're pretty challenging.
but I have a few tips if you want them? I think they work; they got me from 11 to 21 in one interpritation essay.

And I am hoping Khrushchev comes up; either him or Alexander II I can do like the back of my hand, but the PG is something that I still don't properly understand.

I really need some tips for the interpretations!! please share them?:smile:

Yeah if Alexander II comes up I will be sososo happy, if it's the PG...i will not be happy at all
Is anyone doing

Unit 1: challenge of german nationalism
Unit 2: Italian unification
Unit 3: Early Stuart's and the origins of the civil war

Because I'm struggling really bad with the challenge of german nationalism, especially the interpretation questions. If anyone has any tips or essay plans I would highly appreciate it :-)
Original post by georgialennon
I've currently been revising from my own revision powerpoints, using the headings from the specification to direct my specific focuses.

Planning essays also seems to be quite helpful.

Please may you post some revision examples!?x
Original post by y33zus
I really need some tips for the interpretations!! please share them?:smile:

Yeah if Alexander II comes up I will be sososo happy, if it's the PG...i will not be happy at all

A few tips here:

If an essay question mentions a turning point, then it's easier to argue that there generally wasn't one - in any topic

War and Revolution essays have the Themes of SEP - Social, Economic and Political; Sometimes you can have two paragraphs on one of these themes if you have enough to say about it.

Before starting with the interpretations read through both and highlight the key arguments - there should be one or two in each (and possibly some minor ones)

the first interpretation that is discussed is the one you think is the strongest.

The interpretation essay can be: Intro, 2 paragraphs, conclusion. With 1 paragraph on each interpretation.

The paragraphs shouldn't be assessing the provenance - that's the Tudor sources. You should be writing sentences like "This interpretation is correct/ the strongest of the two/ provides the best insight into X"

Original post by NomadPrincess
Is anyone doing

Unit 1: challenge of german nationalism
Unit 2: Italian unification
Unit 3: Early Stuart's and the origins of the civil war

Because I'm struggling really bad with the challenge of german nationalism, especially the interpretation questions. If anyone has any tips or essay plans I would highly appreciate it :-)

For German Nationalism I think a thematic approach is the best way to go about essays, so political, social, economic, militarily, ideologically, culturally etc etc

To me, the interpretation is the easy part - just make sure you revise the three periods (I think it's 1848-9 revolutions, the time around unification and most of Wilhelm's rule -- I can't remember actual dates, you should check the OCR specification for them)

Also, for the essays there are specific categories of exam questions that have come up before, so so long as you have written an answer for at least each of those then you will be prepared for whatever comes up.

I would recommend this for learning all the facts -> https://www.memrise.com/course/1510611/the-challenge-of-german-nationalism/

Hope this helped!
Units:
Crusades and Crusader States 1095-1191
The mid-tudor Crisis 1485-1558
Russia and its rulers 1855-1964

I am doing Russia and Mid Tudor as well. Just wondering how do you plan on writing your essay for Russia? Thematically or a Yes/No in a sort of chronological order?
Original post by Andyest99
I am doing Russia and Mid Tudor as well. Just wondering how do you plan on writing your essay for Russia? Thematically or a Yes/No in a sort of chronological order?

For the breadth studies - war and revolution etc- my teacher's suggested to do it by theme:
War and Rev: Social, Economic, Political
nature of government: Ideology, Structure, Reform, Repression (the secret police etc)
Economy and Society: Agriculture, Industry, Living and Working Conditions

I'm not sure about how to structure nationalities - but if you study three sections out of 4 then you've got decent odds for at least two of those to turn up on the paper. They technically can't pick 2 essays on the same topic.
For the breadth studies - war and revolution etc- my teacher's suggested to do it by theme:
War and Rev: Social, Economic, Political
nature of government: Ideology, Structure, Reform, Repression (the secret police etc)
Economy and Society: Agriculture, Industry, Living and Working Conditions

I'm not sure about how to structure nationalities - but if you study three sections out of 4 then you've got decent odds for at least two of those to turn up on the paper. They technically can't pick 2 essays on the same topic.

Thanks i don't think you understand how much of a god send you are. I wish you the very best of luck for Friday.
Original post by IssyJuly7
For German Nationalism I think a thematic approach is the best way to go about essays, so political, social, economic, militarily, ideologically, culturally etc etc

To me, the interpretation is the easy part - just make sure you revise the three periods (I think it's 1848-9 revolutions, the time around unification and most of Wilhelm's rule -- I can't remember actual dates, you should check the OCR specification for them)

Also, for the essays there are specific categories of exam questions that have come up before, so so long as you have written an answer for at least each of those then you will be prepared for whatever comes up.

I would recommend this for learning all the facts -> https://www.memrise.com/course/1510611/the-challenge-of-german-nationalism/

Hope this helped!

THANKS SO MUCH! especially the timeline! Very useful

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NomadPrincess
THANKS SO MUCH! especially the timeline! Very useful

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're welcome! let me know if you have any predictions, I am so nervous for this exam!!
Reply 92
A few tips here:

If an essay question mentions a turning point, then it's easier to argue that there generally wasn't one - in any topic

War and Revolution essays have the Themes of SEP - Social, Economic and Political; Sometimes you can have two paragraphs on one of these themes if you have enough to say about it.

Before starting with the interpretations read through both and highlight the key arguments - there should be one or two in each (and possibly some minor ones)

the first interpretation that is discussed is the one you think is the strongest.

The interpretation essay can be: Intro, 2 paragraphs, conclusion. With 1 paragraph on each interpretation.

The paragraphs shouldn't be assessing the provenance - that's the Tudor sources. You should be writing sentences like "This interpretation is correct/ the strongest of the two/ provides the best insight into X"

Thank you!!!
Original post by Andyest99
Thanks i don't think you understand how much of a god send you are. I wish you the very best of luck for Friday.

Original post by y33zus
Thank you!!!

You're more than welcome! I'm hoping they help; how has revision for this paper been going for you?
Reply 94
You're more than welcome! I'm hoping they help; how has revision for this paper been going for you?

It's alright, I finished most of the content last week so I've just been going over everything and trying to practise exam technique! I'm just not sure I'll be able to remember everything for Friday:frown: How's it going for you?
Reply 95
Original post by ProbablyJade
I am doing proper AS exams as well, why do you think that makes us disadvantaged? (but i didn't do the german reformation)

Yes, I honestly do believe we are disadvantaged. Many other schools do internal exams and teachers give hints at what will be in the exam also may be much more lenient in marking.
Original post by Undec
Yes, I honestly do believe we are disadvantaged. Many other schools do internal exams and teachers give hints at what will be in the exam also may be much more lenient in marking.

But we get formal qualifications, and those students don't, so i guess unis/apprenticeships/jobs will take that into account during applications. I do agree that i feel disadvantaged with maths as other student only have to revise for maths and so will probably be able to dedicate three weeks to it but i had to balance my other subjects as well (as maths is still linear) but i think it is good preparation for next year :smile:
does anyone else in the known universe actually do Middle East unit
Original post by MrBindo10
wagwan Historians anyone have any idea how to revise thematics espc Middle East, kinda last minute but our teacher is awful
Does anybody do China and it's Rulers 1839-1989??? struggling so bad
How is everyone feeling about synthesis?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending