The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
Its just that its a highly unbelievable claim and he should understand if someone wants proof.

Modern society runs on proofs! None of that "shes a witch kill her" malarkey anymore. Evidence is necessary, especially to such claims.
Usually I agree with you on a lot of the posts you make but not this time. The maths paper today was completely unlike the specimen papers that Edexcel posted out in my own opinion, and there were so many questions right from the onset that were both time-consuming and ridiculously complex. I had four questions left in the last 10 minutes and by that time, I'm usually finished.

It isn't just one person experiencing this discomfort of lack of time, so I think that the examboard clearly didn't time the questions well this time around. Here's hoping paper 3 will be more well-timed from both my perspective and the examboard's.
Original post by Glassapple
Yes I'm that 'posh idiot', he's not my boyfriend, he's a friend with benefits for the record. I take maths, further maths, physics, chemistry and English literature. I've being doing excellently in my own exams, thank you for your overwhelming concern.

Why are you complaining about how you're not running out of time when you do English literature?

Surely you'd want to put passion, as you so condemned above, into your essay so that the examiner knows that you didn't just take english lit for the grade, but because you enjoy the subject??

Some people these days honestly.
UMS, we weren't given the raw marks specifically, although I asked for some of my papers back and I got all the raw marks on those.

Much more believable and doable as some gcses have v. low grade boundaries, i am still skeptical and would like to be tagged in proof when you provide it.
Yes I'm that 'posh idiot', he's not my boyfriend, he's a friend with benefits for the record. I take maths, further maths, physics, chemistry and English literature. I've being doing excellently in my own exams, thank you for your overwhelming concern.

Hes a friend with benefits chill out :/
14 A*s is believable, as my cousin got 13 last year and 1 more is doable. But I'm calling bull on the 100 UMS until you prove it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 26
The exam board doesn't just pluck a number out of thin air and run with it. Obviously the amount of time given is proportional to how much time the paper should take, which has been fairly and logically analysed (with extra time given to those legitimately judged to need it, which is not very many at all as a percentage of your year group). If you run out of time then it's down to your poor exam technique, which guess what, you've had two academic years to practise and perfect.

Your teachers have been banging on at you for two years about how much time to spend on each section, how much you should aim to write for each section, how to be concise when you need to, how to write in detail when you need to, etc. They sit there with you time and time again with timed and untimed papers in lessons and revision sessions, going through mistakes you could make and how to correct them. They show you the specification, past mark schemes and sample answers. They tell you to revise the content and practise your exam technique against all of this. Then you still run out of time because clearly, you haven't been paying any attention at all to the people who were trying to help you.

I totally understand your point but not being funny or anything half the students in the exam room aren't going to be looking at the clock every couple of minutes if they are anything like me you're already preoccupied with the seemingly gibberish writing on your page.
The exam board doesn't just pluck a number out of thin air and run with it. Obviously the amount of time given is proportional to how much time the paper should take, which has been fairly and logically analysed (with extra time given to those legitimately judged to need it, which is not very many at all as a percentage of your year group). If you run out of time then it's down to your poor exam technique, which guess what, you've had two academic years to practise and perfect.

Your teachers have been banging on at you for two years about how much time to spend on each section, how much you should aim to write for each section, how to be concise when you need to, how to write in detail when you need to, etc. They sit there with you time and time again with timed and untimed papers in lessons and revision sessions, going through mistakes you could make and how to correct them. They show you the specification, past mark schemes and sample answers. They tell you to revise the content and practise your exam technique against all of this. Then you still run out of time because clearly, you haven't been paying any attention at all to the people who were trying to help you.

Haha this makes me laugh. I always run out of time so I'll answer your question!
so the reason why I always run out of time is....NOT because of lack of revision OR lack of practice. I am perfectly capable of finishing papers within timed condition if it's outside of exams. But within exams? No can't do. And no I don't have a 'legitimate' reason nor do i need extra time. But being in an exam room after two years of working hard and having only that one paper determine everything is not exactly a stable bet. People panick, they may get distracted, stuck on a question( and yes it's possible even after much revision ), making mistakes, and panicking even more about the fact that there is a time limit! I can probs finish the paper in less than the time prescribed if they werent actually timing us. Im often too busy trying to squint several feet across the hall to keep checking the time. And what does that do? Waste time :smile: but that's just me.

And all in all. It depends on the person.

Do allow me the privelage of knowing why you are so salty over other people not finishing their exams tho :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Elliwhi
Why are you complaining about how you're not running out of time when you do English literature?

Surely you'd want to put passion, as you so condemned above, into your essay so that the examiner knows that you didn't just take english lit for the grade, but because you enjoy the subject??

Some people these days honestly.

Who cares what the examiner personally thinks your motives are? As long as you've actually answered the question, followed the specification and assessment objectives and written the right amount, they don't know whether you love or hate the subject. If you can write well you can pretend you're passionate about it, they're not psychic. People take A-levels to get into university, not to appear on stage with tears in their eyes as they read their essay to respected literary critics; the examiners are well aware of this. School teaches you how to pass the test, passion is for your own time. You might think that's sad but that's how it is and how it always will be.

Original post by pereira325
Might be true, he sounds like a genius...
Hope you fail your AS'. You deserve it (your lack of revision is a piss-take to every student that revises and doesn't do well)

Would you like to join my fan club?

Original post by glad-he-ate-her
Much more believable and doable as some gcses have v. low grade boundaries, i am still skeptical and would like to be tagged in proof when you provide it.

It will appear.

Why would you take 5 A-levels? Pure question, no offence intended.
School teaches you how to pass the test, passion is for your own time. You might think that's sad but that's how it is and how it always will be.

On some level, you're right but on another level having passion for what you're doing a) can motivate you to study and b) might help to convey that sense of vigour in essay subjects. Sometimes you can just tell if someone is writing like they're dead inside.
I need to have a word with you.
Original post by SpindlesTheBerry

He's a genius did you not see my post.
He got 14a*s in gcses (doing 14 is hard enough) without doing extra-curricular revision which every normal person does!

The question you should ask is why did he only take 5 A-Levels...
Right LMAO i am not even goint to bothering reading after the first 2 lines and say:

Why don't YOU get full marks? OBVIOUSLY, from what you have said yourself actually, exam boards dont make questions that are impossible to do...right ey?

Everyone different bruv, if you haven't realised that by now you're quite ****ed unfortunately. Goodluck for the future man, you'll NEED it more than anyone else xxxxx
Original post by pereira325
He's a genius did you not see my post.
He got 14a*s in gcses (doing 14 is hard enough) without doing extra-curricular revision which every normal person does!

The question you should ask is why did he only take 5 A-Levels...

Yeah I got that, I was just thinking since Universities only want 3 or 4 at most why bother with extra? Idk, maybe I'm being cynical.
Reply 35
I am very sorry to say this, but you must come to the terms that not everybody is as smart as you are.
Not everybody can achieve 14A* by just turning up to school and doing no extra revision. Most people can't do that even with doing revision.
But there is something called 'variety'. And people have different varieties of intelligence.
Thus your ability to get full UMS within the time limits during exam conditions is highly comendable, but rather rare.
You just have to accept that people struggle with the time limits and stop complaining about a problem that isn't yours. :smile:

I find them easy. Maths is easy, therefore further maths is easy, therefore physics is easy. Chemistry is another science subject, which is easy. I like books so I took English. I've found everything incredibly easy throughout the entire year.

Original post by auburnstar
On some level, you're right but on another level having passion for what you're doing a) can motivate you to study and b) might help to convey that sense of vigour in essay subjects. Sometimes you can just tell if someone is writing like they're dead inside.

Some people, such as myself, do not need genuine passion to write. If I know what I'm meant to write and I know what they want to hear and how they want to hear it, it all comes together. The texts have been done over and over again for years, it's obvious what the examiners want you to write, you just need to make it fit into your answers for your specific questions.

Original post by tres1732
I need to have a word with you.

Hurry up and choose one then.
Original post by BF19
I am very sorry to say this, but you must come to the terms that not everybody is as smart as you are.
Not everybody can achieve 14A* by just turning up to school and doing no extra revision. Most people can't do that even with doing revision.
But there is something called 'variety'. And people have different varieties of intelligence.
Thus your ability to get full UMS within the time limits during exam conditions is highly comendable, but rather rare.
You just have to accept that people struggle with the time limits and stop complaining about a problem that isn't yours. :smile:

I'd like to commend you for being so reasonable and polite. Everyone should act like you. Kudos.
I'd like to commend you for being so reasonable and polite. Everyone should act like you. Kudos.

Thank you :smile: It's so nice to hear

(this is my main account- I just wanted to keep myself more anonymous)
Ahhh Glass. You're great you know, really.

But your entire argument goes out the window if someone decides to redo a single question.
Or if someone misses out a detail and has to redo it.
Or if someone doesn't see a question until the end
Or if someone gets stuck....
Or if someone knows alot and writes too much...

You said it yourself, time was allocated for people to finish the exam. For an exam with 10 questions, enough time to do those 10 questions will be given. But what if someone made an error and had to redo one question? Time wasn't allocated for 11 questions.

And no matter how intelligent you are you'd have to not be human to never make a mistake...