The Student Room Group

AQA A-level Economics new 7136 - 06, 13 & 19 Jun 2017 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 640
I am doing the old spec by the way but the same topics will appear in the legacy and new papers regardless.

But I also think these topics will come up;

- Globalisation

- Free Trade/Protectionism

- UK Governement Austerity

- Consequneces of current account deficit for UK
Original post by Danllo
Hi, what context in terms of a real life economic situation are they likely to put in ?

Say a question comes up on Globalisation, Free trade or Protectionism, what context do you think they will give in terms of a real life situation that happened ?

I think well with trumps debate with protectionism, china's currency manipulation, trying to find articles to the right time period :smile:
Reply 642
Original post by physicsamor
I think well with trumps debate with protectionism, china's currency manipulation, trying to find articles to the right time period :smile:

Trumps debate on Protectionsim could well be an extract they give
Reply 643

Do you think they will ask about the UK leaving the EU ? I think it's too predictable to come up and in the legacy paper from June 16 a question came up on UK joining the EU so I don't think that type of question will come up but what are your thoughts on a EU question appearing ?
Original post by Danllo
Do you think they will ask about the UK leaving the EU ? I think it's too predictable to come up and in the legacy paper from June 16 a question came up on UK joining the EU so I don't think that type of question will come up but what are your thoughts on a EU question appearing ?

I'm not too sure they would and brexit is too recent but they could ask about the single marker, the effect of a monetary union for any other country, or if there was an EU maybe about turkeys decision to join the EU?
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/40208460

Pound is falling as a result of the exit poll, expected but still a bit of economics!
I know it won't be possible for paper 3 but do you think I could get away with not revising financial markets? cos I'm way behind :/
guys how many marks do u lose for a 25 marker if u use a wrong statistic???
are supply side fiscal policies only related to reductions in tax rates or do they also inlcude policies such as spending on education and training schemes?
I really don't think anything about Brexit will come up. The papers were set before the UK's decision to leave and unless they have gone back and changed the papers, which I highly doubt due to money and time, I don't think it will come up. Maybe more general questions about the EU or a case study on Greece or Turkey and their current problems with the EU.
my teacher said with everything that has happened and even economists being so unsure about what BREXIT will mean for the UK, its a very loose topic for them to ask us on.

Also a few have mentioned protectionism appearing in this years paper, not sure if you have taken a look at the spec papers but protectionism was a q on 1 of the 2 papers - so I would say it is unlikely
Original post by tamcat
my teacher said with everything that has happened and even economists being so unsure about what BREXIT will mean for the UK, its a very loose topic for them to ask us on.

Also a few have mentioned protectionism appearing in this years paper, not sure if you have taken a look at the spec papers but protectionism was a q on 1 of the 2 papers - so I would say it is unlikely

But literally all the good questions came up in both spec papers😭 I hope we at least get globalisation and policies to intervene into a deficit.

What do you think could come up? I'm so not ready for this.
Original post by SWISH99
are supply side fiscal policies only related to reductions in tax rates or do they also inlcude policies such as spending on education and training schemes?

Supply side policies is anything which aims to enhance economic performance and potential, whether this be interventionist or non-interventionist. So yes an interventionist supply side policy of spending on education and training would help to increase human capital which would improve our productivity, which may lead to increases in economic growth and development. Other supply side policies may include non-interventionist supply side policies such as deregulation, as this would promote competition so increase new business start ups and so increase our productive potential and push our LRAS or our PPF.
Hope this helps :smile:
But literally all the good questions came up in both spec papers😭 I hope we at least get globalisation and policies to intervene into a deficit.

What do you think could come up? I'm so not ready for this.

deffo globalisation - wasn't in the spec or last years paper
maybe interventionist vs market based policies for Econ development - was added to the new spec I believe
also a question on how something affects macroeconomic performance e.g. discuss the affect of rising oil prices on the macroeconomic performance of an economy - my teacher thinks these kind of qs are most likely to come up
Original post by tamcat
maybe interventionist vs market based policies for Econ development - was added to the new spec I believe
also a question on how something affects macroeconomic performance e.g. discuss the affect of rising oil prices on the macroeconomic performance of an economy - my teacher thinks these kind of qs are most likely to come up

Need to go over econ development then :O
Rising oil prices would kill me hate those questions
Does anyone have the section B essay questions for AQA specimen 2015 paper
Original post by Gemmamcconville
Supply side policies is anything which aims to enhance economic performance and potential, whether this be interventionist or non-interventionist. So yes an interventionist supply side policy of spending on education and training would help to increase human capital which would improve our productivity, which may lead to increases in economic growth and development. Other supply side policies may include non-interventionist supply side policies such as deregulation, as this would promote competition so increase new business start ups and so increase our productive potential and push our LRAS or our PPF.
Hope this helps :smile:

thanks for replying!

I was just confused was the only example of a "supply side fiscal" policy my textbook gave was a reduction in taxes. Surely spending on training and education if also both fiscal and supply side.
Original post by tamcat

what types of questions do you think they could ask on globalisation?

Advantages/disadvantages for developed countries such as the UK?
I haven't seen any questions on advantages/disadvantages of floating exchange rates in the specimen paper either
Original post by SWISH99
what types of questions do you think they could ask on globalisation?

Advantages/disadvantages for developed countries such as the UK?

well they only really ask ad/dis of globalisation which is sometimes rephrased as the economic effects of globalisation - and yes either on developed or developing economies or sometimes they ask for both in the same q and you just need to be careful to mention which type of economy benefits for each of the points you are discussing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending