The Student Room Group

Edexcel Psychology 2017

Does anyone have an unofficial mark scheme for paper 1??

Or any answers to the questions in general...
(edited 6 years ago)
I've been looking for one of these too! Completely ran out of time!! :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by itsmedaisyb
I've been looking for one of these too! Completely ran out of time!! :frown:

If this is for the foundations in psychology paper there was way too many essays-six in total. I think everyone ran out of time, however thank heavens the questions were super easy. :h: Good luck for your next exam :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Bethr0berts
Does anyone have an unofficial mark scheme for paper 1??

Or any answers to the questions in general...

Here are some answers to the short questions

Social psychology
q1)opportunity sampling
q2)don't remember the exact question but you had to fully operationalise the independant and dependant variable stating the age of participants etc.
q3)There are many improvements that could be used, such as to carry out the study under controlled conditions with the use of the lab experiment-but this had to be applied to the scenario.
q4) to long to write but four relevant points from realistic conflict theory such as conflict being caused by a conflict of interest or by conmpetition for dominance, resources, or land etc. All these points had to be applied to the scenario of the school hockey teams shouting insults. There would be no marks for generic points which aren't applied.

cognitive
standard deviation equalled 4.228.... which was equal to 4.23 to 2.d.p.

describe the multi store model of memory?
description of each store is requires, such as sensory register recieves info from the environment and is stored in the same format as it is recieve, STM has a capacity of 7+/-2 items (miller), LTM has unlimited capacity and duration. then an additional point such as rehearsal is a technique used to transfer info from one store to another in respective order of sensory register, STM, LTM

biological
q1) 1 mark for correct title, one mark for correct labelling of the graph, and one mark for plotting the correct points.
q2)negative correlaton
q3) why spearmans rho is suitable? shows a relationship between to variables so would allow for the coincidence between exam scores and attendance to be shown (1 mark) Shows the significance of the impact of attendance effecting exam scores which allows for further analysis (2nd mark)
q4) explain one difference between Freud's psychodynamic theory and the biological explanation of aggression (2marks)? The psychodynamic explanation focuses on nurture aspects in human development such as the superego's interaction with others (1 mark) whereas the biological explanation focuses on nature aspects such as the role of hormones such as testosterone effecting agression (2nd mark)

learning theories
practical issues with using animals for research
issues such as generalisability could be used, issues of giving the animal adequate social conditions, ethical issues of research benefits having to outweigh the costs to the animal etc.

I don't remeber any other short questions so if anyone is able to jog my memory let me know what i've missed. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by 2025
Here are some answers to the short questions

Social psychology
q1)opportunity sampling
q2)don't remember the exact question but you had to fully operationalise the independant and dependant variable stating the age of participants etc.
q3)There are many improvements that could be used, such as to carry out the study under controlled conditions with the use of the lab experiment-but this had to be applied to the scenario.
q4) to long to write but four relevant points from realistic conflict theory such as conflict being caused by a conflict of interest or by conmpetition for dominance, resources, or land etc. All these points had to be applied to the scenario of the school hockey teams shouting insults. There would be no marks for generic points which aren't applied.

cognitive
standard deviation equalled 4.228.... which was equal to 4.23 to 2.d.p.

describe the multi store model of memory?
description of each store is requires, such as sensory register recieves info from the environment and is stored in the same format as it is recieve, STM has a capacity of 7+/-2 items (miller), LTM has unlimited capacity and duration. then an additional point such as rehearsal is a technique used to transfer info from one store to another in respective order of sensory register, STM, LTM

biological
q1) 1 mark for correct title, one mark for correct labelling of the graph, and one mark for plotting the correct points.
q2)negative correlaton
q3) why spearmans rho is suitable? shows a relationship between to variables so would allow for the coincidence between exam scores and attendance to be shown (1 mark) Shows the significance of the impact of attendance effecting exam scores which allows for further analysis (2nd mark)
q4) explain one difference between Freud's psychodynamic theory and the biological explanation of aggression (2marks)? The psychodynamic explanation focuses on nurture aspects in human development such as the superego's interaction with others (1 mark) whereas the biological explanation focuses on nature aspects such as the role of hormones such as testosterone effecting agression (2nd mark)

learning theories
practical issues with using animals for research
issues such as generalisability could be used, issues of giving the animal adequate social conditions, ethical issues of research benefits having to outweigh the costs to the animal etc.

I don't remeber any other short questions so if anyone is able to jog my memory let me know what i've missed. Hope this helps :smile:

Thannk you so much! It's so hard to remember now :smile:
Reply 5
Thannk you so much! It's so hard to remember now :smile:

Your welcome. Here is a prediction of the grade boundaries for this paper also:
This is given that the questions were super easy :h:(unlike last year), but there was not enough time. :bawling:
A-63
B-54
C-45
What grade and mark do you reckon you've got on this paper? :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by 2025
This is given that the questions were super easy :h:(unlike last year), but there was not enough time. :bawling:
A-63
B-54
C-45

I have no idea but hopefully a B! How about you?
Reply 7
I have no idea but hopefully a B! How about you?

I don't want to sound to overconfident but hopefully an A :smile: as I think I dropped about 20 marks (6 marks over short questions, and 14 marks over the essays). Good luck on the next paper. :h:
Reply 8
Original post by 2025
A-63
B-54
C-45

yo just wondering how you found these boundaries and how credible it is as i am really really counting on this to be true :argh:
Reply 9
Original post by mxakcm
yo just wondering how you found these boundaries and how credible it is as i am really really counting on this to be true :argh:

last year for AS an A was 57%. Therefore as timing was an issue for many students but the paper was super easy I added approx 15% to last years grade boundary but based on 90 marks for this paper.:smile:
Reply 10
Original post by 2025
last year for AS an A was 57%. Therefore as timing was an issue for many students but the paper was super easy I added approx 15% to last years grade boundary but based on 90 marks for this paper.:smile:

ahhh cheers
How was the 2nd paper for everyone?
Reply 12
Original post by Aala1999

I personally found it horrible! Most of the stuff that I revised for did not show up, I also did not have enough time to finish the last question. I genuinely hope grade boundary will be low this year.
Reply 13
Original post by Aala1999

Found it quite easy but not as easy as foundations in psychology. The 20 marker for clinical was great as there was loads of CBT studies that could be used to criticise the efficacy of Williams study. However missed a whole 8 mark question-rekon I got about 63 marks on this paper. How did you find the exam? :h:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Nuskai
I personally found it horrible! Most of the stuff that I revised for did not show up, I also did not have enough time to finish the last question. I genuinely hope grade boundary will be low this year.

I agree i did do a lot of studying but i didn't study the 20 marker that came up! So i had to make up the whole thing!
What was the 8 marker on social and congnitive can you tell me please
Reply 16
Original post by Haaris716
What was the 8 marker on social and congnitive can you tell me please

For social it was ethics in social psychology and for cognitive the use of experiments in cognitive psychology
Reply 17
Does anyone remember what was on paper 2???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending