The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow Accommodation - Official Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Hi,
What is the advance payment to confirm the booking of accommodation? Is it a deposit or non-refundable payment? Does it count as paying upfornt for the first month? Thank you.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
When do conditional offers holders hear about accommodation? I just got an offer last week of a waiting list and have a applied for accommodation a few days ago but I am very worried that I will not be able to secure unsuite accomodation.
Original post by siege98
Hi!
I am about to apply for accomodation and I have some doubts. I am intrested mainly in Student appartments and Cairncross House. What is the difference between twin room in those properties? In case of both twin and single rooms in those two, how many rooms share one bathroom/kitchen?

Hi @siege98

The main difference between the two sets of twin rooms is probably the size. Cairncross House is a purpose-built student residence and so tends to have fairly standardised rooms whereas Student Apartments, being traditional tenement buildings, has varying room sizes and shapes. Cairncross House was recently refurbished so if you check out our Flickr page for the site you should see some more images there and the Student Apartments Flickr page should also have some images of a their typical twin rooms.

At Cairncross House the toilets and showers are distributed at various points along the corridor of each floor and students can basically use any that is free. In addition, all rooms have a sink. Student Apartments on the other hand has one shower and one toilet for approximately four/five students.

Best wishes,

Alexander
Accommodation Services
Original post by ky23
Hi, I submitted my housing application in March and I got an unconditional offer from the University two weeks ago. When can I expect to get an update on my accommodation status?

Hi @ky23 ,

Sorry for the delay. We’re actually just putting the final touches to the offers but we should hopefully have something sent out within the next couple of weeks.

Best wishes,

Alexander
Accommodation Services
Original post by siege98
Hi,
What is the advance payment to confirm the booking of accommodation? Is it a deposit or non-refundable payment? Does it count as paying upfornt for the first month? Thank you.

Hi @siege98 ,

Yes, the prepayment that you make when confirming acceptance of your accommodation contract basically covers your first month in residence and is taken off your overall fees.

Best wishes

Alexander
Accommodation Services
Original post by numbers9876
When do conditional offers holders hear about accommodation? I just got an offer last week of a waiting list and have a applied for accommodation a few days ago but I am very worried that I will not be able to secure unsuite accomodation.

Hi @numbers9876 ,

Students with conditional offers will be put forward for allocation when their study status is be updated to unconditional.

Best wishes

Alexander
Accommodation Services
Original post by University of Glasgow Accommodation
Hi @numbers9876 ,

Students with conditional offers will be put forward for allocation when their study status is be updated to unconditional.

Best wishes

Alexander
Accommodation Services

Would you know if it is likely that I would get an ensuite room? Does the date you applied for accommodation influence the likelihood of getting your 1st choice accommodation ?
Would you know if it is likely that I would get an ensuite room? Does the date you applied for accommodation influence the likelihood of getting your 1st choice accommodation ?

Yes they process it according to the date you put the application in

Hi @numbers9876,

Yes, @Electrify is absolutely correct, we allocate rooms in the date order in which the applications are received so the earlier that you apply the more likely you are to get one of your top preferences. This doesn’t mean that students applying later won’t get their first choice though. It really just depends on the particular preferences and what is available at the point the application comes to be allocated.

Best wishes,

Alexander
Accommodation Services
Hi,
I have an unconditional offer from UofG and so I applied for accommodation a few months ago. I have had emails informing of the delays but have not heard anything in a while. Do you know when we'll start to receive offers?
Original post by elmac123
Hi,
I have an unconditional offer from UofG and so I applied for accommodation a few months ago. I have had emails informing of the delays but have not heard anything in a while. Do you know when we'll start to receive offers?

Hi @elmac123 ,

Yes, we’ve had a slight delay finalising the offers this year but we’re almost there and we should hopefully have something sent out within the next couple of weeks or so. Keep checking your emails but if you have any further concerns about your application please drop us an email or give us a call.

Best wishes,

Alexander
Accommodation Services
Hi,
I have sent my results on 2nd June and on Track it says that "my place has been confirmed". When I look at the UofG website, it says that "If you meet the conditions of the offer, and have not received an offer of accommodation within seven days of having achieved unconditional firm (UF) status, please contact us", but in FAQ it says "For students with conditional offers that successfully become unconditional offers, the Allocations Team process these applications shortly after Higher & A Level results are published."
Does it mean that I should've heard back or I do need to wait until A level results?

Thank you :smile:
Hi @Peet79 ,

Thanks for your message. Unfortunately this year we have experienced a bit of an issue with our system and all of the accommodation offers have been delayed as a result. If you have an unconditional place at the university we should hopefully have something with you in the next 7 to 10 days so please keep checking your emails and we will get an offer to you as soon as possible.

Best wishes,

Alexander
Accommodation Services
Hi,

I just sent my application today and I would like to know if there's still rooms available at Student Apartments and Cairncross. I'm an EU student who's holding an unconditional offer. These are my top choices and I don't want to be hoping for nothing !
I would also like to know if it's possible to work in the residence as a receptionist or a cleaner for eg. If so, what are the hours of work ? Is the rent reduced ? And how can I apply ?

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by efoliot1
Hi,

I just sent my application today and I would like to know if there's still rooms available at Student Apartments and Cairncross. I'm an EU student who's holding an unconditional offer. These are my top choices and I don't want to be hoping for nothing !
I would also like to know if it's possible to work in the residence as a receptionist or a cleaner for eg. If so, what are the hours of work ? Is the rent reduced ? And how can I apply ?

Hi @efoliot1 ,

Yes, you’ve definitely still got a chance of receiving one of your top choices. We should start getting the offers out in the next 7-10 days so you’ll hopefully find out your allocation soon.

If you would like to work with the University during your time with us that would definitely be a possibility. All vacancies connected to the residences and cleaning etc are advertised through the University’s job search page so if you keep an eye on that there will hopefully be something that interests you.

Best wishes,

Alexander
Accommodation Services
Is it possible to book university accommodation for just one semester? I'd like to find my own place - and I'm also thinking of buying a flat (unlikely as my budget is on the low side), so I'd rather not get locked in with a 9 month lease, but I also realise my chances of finding something private in September aren't great. 1 semester accommodation would be perfect.
Hi @psuspark,

Unfortunately the University can only offer students 39 or 52 week accommodation contracts so we wouldn’t have anything available for one semester. If you require any assistance in your search for private accommodation please drop us an email at [email protected] and we can send you through some useful links to providers in Glasgow.

Best wishes,

Alexander
Accommodation Services
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi,
Are the prices of the rooms on your website about to change? Or are they firmly accepted?
Hi @colourfu,

No, the prices on the website for session 2017/18 are correct and won’t change.

Best wishes,

Alexander
Accommodation Services
Reply 199
I haven't received emails about the delays (someone mentioned above that they received emails), so I'm relying on this thread to get updates on the accommodation offers? Any idea when they'll be sent out?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending