The Student Room Group

OCR AL Psychology (New): Research methods H167/1 & H567/1 - 15 May & 07 Jun 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DrawTheLine
You are correct. Likert scale is strongly agree to strongly disagree in regards to a statement e.g. "I like chocolate". Semantic differential scale is two opposite words on a scale e.g. introvert and extrovert. A person answers this scale by placing a mark along the line:

Introvert -------------------------------X-------Extrovert

In that case, the person feels they are closer to being an extrovert than an introvert.

So the question saying agree or disagree was a semantic differential rating scale? :smile:
Original post by itskitkatp
So the question saying agree or disagree was a semantic differential rating scale? :smile:

No -it is Likert. Likert scales go strongly agree, agree, neutral, disagree, strongly disagree.

Semantic differentials are more descriptive e.g. very happy---------very sad,
Original post by DrawTheLine
No -it is Likert. Likert scales go strongly agree, agree, neutral, disagree, strongly disagree.

Semantic differentials are more descriptive e.g. very happy---------very sad,

Ahh okay thank you, that's annoying haha
How is everyone going about revising for the core studies exam? Sitting here reading over studies is acc killing me
Original post by LenniesRabbit
How is everyone going about revising for the core studies exam? Sitting here reading over studies is acc killing me

Ikr same, I don't really know how else to get all the information to stick though :/

I've made mind maps of all the studies and I am in the process of making Quizlet flash cards and question cards, which I am getting my parents to test me on regularly. I am also trying a different way where instead of revising all of one study, then another, I'm revising all the samples, all the designs, all the conclusions. I'm hoping that way the numbers will stick. I'm also doing the specimen and practice papers and the exam questions in the textbook. Also I'm trying not to cry.
any predictions for core?
Section C is prob the only predictable part of the paper:
Specimen AS paper was Social Psychology based on Obedience
2016 AS Paper was based on Developmental Psychology and learning/positive reinforcement

ugh it could easily be social again but based on helping behaviour for the A2 core studies :s-smilie: I think it might be biological though (not sure why)
Original post by polaroidfilms
any predictions for core?
Has anyone got the section c questions from the research methods exam?
Original post by SpireiteLauren
Has anyone got the section c questions from the research methods exam?

Yeah, ill type them up in a minute. (Won't let me upload as file is too large.
Original post by Kholmes1
Yeah, ill type them up in a minute. (Won't let me upload as file is too large.

Thank you!
19. Identify two findings from the data in this table. (4 marks)

20a. Calculate the mean for the stood up condition to 2dp. (2 marks)

b. Calculate the mean for the sat down condition to 2sf. (2 marks)

c. Calculate the mean percentage for the number of words recalled in each condition. (This is part c, so yes it was a mistake, but its quite obvious to what they were talking about as it was part c to the question) (2 marks)

21. Explain how you would calculate the SD for each condition (5 marks)

b. What information would it provide if it was calculated for the data in this study (2marks)

c. SD for stood up was: 1.72, for sat down it was: 5.60. What do these findings tell us about the effect of sitting down or standing up. (4 marks)

22a. What non-parametric test do you use? Give reasons why. (2 marks)

b. Outline how the data is ranked before using this test. (2 marks.)

23. Outline a advantage and a disadvantage of using quantitative data in this study. (4 marks)

24. Outline what is meant by the following features and how they apply to the study

a. Hypothesis testing (3 marks)

b. Manipulation of variables (3 marks
Does anyone know for sure whether Milgram's experiment is a Lab experiment or a controlled observation?

It is a controlled observation because there was no manipulation of any variables
Section C is prob the only predictable part of the paper:
Specimen AS paper was Social Psychology based on Obedience
2016 AS Paper was based on Developmental Psychology and learning/positive reinforcement

ugh it could easily be social again but based on helping behaviour for the A2 core studies :s-smilie: I think it might be biological though (not sure why)

The AS 2017 section c was developmental
Is anybody able to briefly explain the Blakemore and Cooper results to me (specifically what they found during the physiological investigation of neurons etc) because I'm so confused
Reply 335
Is anybody able to briefly explain the Blakemore and Cooper results to me (specifically what they found during the physiological investigation of neurons etc) because I'm so confused

The kitten in the vertical environment only had neurons firing vertically and not in a horizontal plane

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know what came up in the AS exam for section B and C. Also for the second set of specimen papers.

For Specimen 1, Section B, it was Individual vs Situational.
Section C was Developmental.

Anyone remember the other topics for the other papers?
Does anyone know what came up in the AS exam for section B and C. Also for the second set of specimen papers.

This is a section B set of answers I put on here a while ago from what I assume was a specimen paper that our teacher had given to us at some point. I'm thinking it was the second spec paper:

Describe two principles or concepts of psychodynamic perspective (4/4)
The psychodynamic perspective asserts that our behaviour is influenced by our subconscious and unconscious dispositions e.g. through the 'Id' 'Ego' and the 'Superego'.
One other principle is that all behaviours go through particular psychosexual stages of development in childhood in order to form the adult self. These include the oral stage, the anal stage and the phallic stage.

Outline one reason why individual explanations of behaviour are useful. Support your answer with evidence from an appropriate core study. (4/4)
One reason why they are useful is because they provide a more personal explanation of behaviour. This is because it suggests that our acitons area result of innate or biologically predisposed factors that aren't influenced by the environment, so it may help us to understand the behaviours of and sympathise more with those suffering from mentla health issues such as autism in Baron-Cohen's study, where Theory of Mins was identitfied to be an innate feature and not the influence of development or environment.

Compare the psychodynamic perspective to the individual differences area. Use examples from appropriate core studies to support your answer (6/8)
The psychodynamic perspective sees all behaviour as influenced by our predisposed subconscious and unconscious thoughts that are led by the Id, the Ego and the Super-ego. This is similar to 'individual differences' as it argues that behaviour is individual and unique to the person who is exhibiting it. For example, in Freud's study the psychodynamic perspective sees Little Hans' phobia as natural and a typical part of development as he passes through the Oral, Anal and Phallic (Oedipus) stages of development.

Likewise, in individual differences, Little Hans' behaviour is unique to him in particular and comes as a result of particular and novel traits. Baron-Cohen's study in individual differences suggests that a lack of Theory of the Mind is natural to autistic patients, and Freud's psychodynamic perspective also sees behaviour as influenced by situational factors e.g. development or environment.

Psychodynamic perspective is able to see all behaviour as subconscious in nature, as shown through Little Hans' subconscious attraction to his mother with fantasies and dream but individual differences does suggest that behaviour is a result of individual experiences e.g. Hancock's study into how Psychopaths who had murdered have different language traits to those who have not experienced the act.

Discuss the strengths and weaknesses of conducting socially sensitive research in psychology. Use examples from appropriate core studies to support your answer. (15/15)
Socially sensitive research refers to research that may be potentially controversial to society or that may have a big impact in controversial areas of debate. A strength of this is that the research conducted could have some positive practical applications.

For example, Milgram's study had asserted that people are more obedient to destructive orders than we may think we are. As over 63% had administered a 450volt shock to the learner in comparison to the 1.2% predicted by the students prior. This is socially sensitive as it suggests that individuals have no influence (free-will) over their own behaviours and are morally ignorant, but its practical applications help to predict atrocities and inform people of their willingness to obey authority figures even when they may not truly agree with them. This is a positive aspect of socially sensitive research.

However, it is possible that practical applications have weaknesses, as Yerke's study was applicable to science and helped support Eugenics, which could have been harmful to many religious and minority groups.

One other strength is that it could help individuals to understand their own behaviour better. Freud's theory of psychosexual stages had been socially sensitive when first published as it had suggested quite inappropriate things about child development. However, it had also helped people to understand how the subconcious mind may influence out behaviour, actions and reactions to other individuals and situations (as shown through Little Hans' dreams and fantasies revolving around his mother. It also poses many societal strengths in terms of forming everyday concepts such as the 'Freudian Slip'. However, the socially sensitive research may also be unreliable and seek to generalise all behaviour as predictable. For example in Gould's study, he had disallowed black and immigrant Army Recruits from taking the Army Beta, but had sought to generalise their low intelligence score of 10.4 years to all black people through publication of findings, which could have been detrimental as although it enabled people to understand themselves a lot more, it had particularly bad effect on Government policy which took advantage of the results. This is a weakness of socially sensitive research as findings ay lead to unreliable generalisations of behaviour.

Finally, socially sensitive research could help us to alter our behaviour, which is a strength. In Bocciaro's study, they found that people are less likely to whistleblow on unethical requests than we may think. This could enable us to reconsider our behaviour within the workplace and environment in general, as well as our attitudes towards authority as we are now more aware of our weaknesses, which is a key strength of socially senstitive research.

(So it was based on Psychodynamic perspective) Don't have a section C for it unfortunetly.

--
Also last year's AS exam had a Developmental based section c
(edited 6 years ago)

For the AS exam this year section B the longer question was comparing the social area and the biological area and section C the scenario linked to Chaney so was for the developmental area
Original post by moon_light_wolf
For the AS exam this year section B the longer question was comparing the social area and the biological area and section C the scenario linked to Chaney so was for the developmental area

Oh hang on then I think last years AS exam Section C was behaviourist then. I remember the extract been about how children who learned through TV shows like Sesame Street from an early age did better in school, so you could have used Chaney or Bandura for it..

--
Found the questions for last year's section B

•6 (a) Outline one principle orconcept of the social area in psychology. (2)

•(b) Outline how Bocchiaroet al.’s study links to the social area of psychology. Support your answer withevidence from this study. (3)

•(c) Describe one way the individualdifferences area is different from the biological area. Use examples fromrelevant core studies to support your answer. (5)

•(d)* Discuss the strengths andweaknesses of breaking ethical principles. Use examples from relevant corestudies to support your answer. (12)

•(e) Describe one reason whyconducting reductionist research is useful. (3)
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending