The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 10LFC10
Does anyone know when the medicine open day is?

I know there's an open day for those who were successful on the GAMSAT in December but I don't know when their other open day is!
Reply 2
May I just ask how everyone did on the GAMSAT in March? With ACER giving a worldwide distribution curve, it has made it difficult to predict if the entry requirements will go up!

I'm also planning on applying for 2018 entry, a few people from my uni have gone there to do GEM and I've only heard good things about the course and about Swansea!
Original post by pmough
May I just ask how everyone did on the GAMSAT in March? With ACER giving a worldwide distribution curve, it has made it difficult to predict if the entry requirements will go up!

I'm also planning on applying for 2018 entry, a few people from my uni have gone there to do GEM and I've only heard good things about the course and about Swansea!

58 (52,57,62) applying with:
2.1 in chemistry BSc
PhD in biochemical engineering
6 months as a ward HCA and other work exp in gps

Yourself?
Reply 4
Good scores, congrats :smile:

63 (59, 57, 68) With:
2:1 in Biochemistry BSc MBIOL
1.5 years working as an HCA in a children's hospice
Reply 5
Original post by 10LFC10
55 63 64, overall 61 :smile:

Congrats :smile:

Are you gonna be sitting the UKCAT and go for some UKCAT unis? Or just hope that your GAMSAT is good enough to get interviews?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by 10LFC10
I am praying 61 is ok for Swansea notts and st Georges. I mean it should be, it would be bonkers if cut offs increase that much! I can't help but doubt my score still though

I am sitting ukcat for 5 year keele. Hoping I get a 4 year place though haha.

Yourself???

Keele will accept gamsat over ukcat :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by 10LFC10
I am praying 61 is ok for Swansea notts and st Georges. I mean it should be, it would be bonkers if cut offs increase that much! I can't help but doubt my score still though

I am sitting ukcat for 5 year keele. Hoping I get a 4 year place though haha.

Yourself???

I'm exactly the same. I'm really hoping that the cut off isn't gonna jump up dramatically, especially with it being so low last year!

I'm thinking of applying to St George's, Notts and Swansea too but am thinking of applying to Exeter's 5-year course since they just look at GAMSAT score and nothing else. So not sitting the UKCAT at the moment. I think I'm gonna try and stalk the Irish GAMSAT entry scores as they come in, and see if they increase, then use that to guess if the entry requirements are gonna jump up.
Original post by converseallstars
Hi everyone! Didn't see a thread for this so thought I'd start one for people considering applying for Swansea GEM. I plan on applying for 2018 entry and sat the GAMSAT in March. I've heard lots of good things about Swansea already!

I live in Swansea. The city centre is a shambles and there is pretty limited places for night life. However Swansea does have some good parts like the Gower and mumbles along the front
Reply 9
Everyone's got so much experience it's making me wonder if there's even any point in applying!!!
I'm considering applying to Swansea. Not sure if I'll get interview though...I've got a 3rd class BSc but I have a distinction in my masters. And will submit my Ethnomusicology PhD thesis in the next few months. I'm also Mr Buckethead's PR rep so I have a fair bit of experience in politics too which I hope will make up for my lack of work experience in hospitals.
Reply 11
Hey does anyone know what the historic cut off scores have been?
Original post by Swansea Medic
I'm considering applying to Swansea. Not sure if I'll get interview though...I've got a 3rd class BSc but I have a distinction in my masters. And will submit my Ethnomusicology PhD thesis in the next few months. I'm also Mr Buckethead's PR rep so I have a fair bit of experience in politics too which I hope will make up for my lack of work experience in hospitals.

Hi Swanseamedic, do you know if Swansea will get a few extra places for 2018 entry compared to previous years? I recall something being mentioned on the interview day that they wouldn't (might have imagined this) but could you clarify if you know :smile:
Original post by shamim2k9
Hi Swanseamedic, do you know if Swansea will get a few extra places for 2018 entry compared to previous years? I recall something being mentioned on the interview day that they wouldn't (might have imagined this) but could you clarify if you know :smile:

They don't as it's only NHS England med schools that are getting extra places
Original post by 10LFC10
The document has been released. Swansea is not on it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright. Could you provide me with a link to this document (my googling ability appears to be quite sketchy and im not getting anything)
Original post by 10LFC10
If you look on the graduate medicine entry 2018 thread Dr squared posted the link. (I really want to help more but I am on my phone so struggling to) I think it was posted a few days ago

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by 10LFC10
You're welcome :smile: are you applying this year then? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will be, Swansea is my only definite application at the moment. What about yourself? where else you looking to apply?
Original post by 10LFC10
If you look on the graduate medicine entry 2018 thread Dr squared posted the link. (I really want to help more but I am on my phone so struggling to) I think it was posted a few days ago

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Dr squared
They don't as it's only NHS England med schools that are getting extra places

How I wish this was true... :frown:

Original post by shamim2k9

Unfortunately most likely. Proposals by the Sennedd were released back in June time. There are an amount of extra places to be distributed between Swansea and Cardiff, where and how has not been decided afaik. And the idea of a new medical school in Bangor has been put on the backburner.

Swansea isn't on the list as the HEFCE list is for England. Wales has it's own health minister, Vaughan Gething, in charge for this country. There are also plans to start a HEW (welsh counterpart to HEE) asap. I believe more were accepted for this coming year than previous years, and this is projected to increase for 2018.

Swansea is a small medical school, that is it's strength, our ethos and environment is closely intertwined with this. We do not have the facilities to accommodate much more. Most current students are against increase in numbers (in the blunt way it has been proposed without adequate funding) and we are continuing to campaign against this and trying to propose ways we can train more doctors in Wales without adversely impacting the quality of education i.e. a new joint medical school in North Wales run by Swansea, Cardiff and Bangor.
With deadline looking, I would like to wish everyone the best of luck :smile:
Original post by dontplayyourself
Hi everyone,

When I was applying last year, I found Oxford Medical Case Reports a good resource for short medical cases. Plus the interviewers liked the fact that I was aware of a few real life cases. I've attached the link to the facebook page below.

Hope it helps!

https://www.facebook.com/OxfordMedicalCaseReports/

Thanks for sharing!

Latest

Trending

Trending