The Student Room Group

WJEC Information & Communication Technology IT3 (LEGACY) 1243/01 - 16 Jun 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jasmine_Bunn
Just interested what other A levels are people doing alongside ICT?

Maths, Business, ICT and the Welsh Bacc.

Predicted A*A*A*A* but clearly ICT is dropping to an A now haha:biggrin:
How low could the grade boundaries for AS go this year considering the paper was weird?
Original post by Mande1724
How low could the grade boundaries for AS go this year considering the paper was weird?

Probably about 5-6 marks lower than last year. But remember that the average grade is a U in IT1 all the time anyway so possibly not. We will have to see. They certainly wont be higher than last year anyway so be reassured of that.

The boundaries can be found on my site for last year.
Guys, I have now made a sort of notes/mark scheme type of thing for the possible new questions after the wake up call IT1 gave us today.

http://jacktilson.net/dl/IT3-untouched-questions.pdf
(you might have to refresh the page a couple of times as i just replaced the file)

There are a couple of things such as the DFD, Decision tables, systems diagrams and entity relationship diagrams which I have left out because they are either really weird and I cannot see how a question could be made out of them or are far too complex to reliably learn within the time left while also be able to revise the rest of the stuff which comes up all the time, along with the rest of the exams we all need to sit.

Out of that lot, I reckon the bus topology stuff could be there. A reasonable thing to throw in that's new, but as shown earlier on - nothing is out of the question really. Have a look and try to at least get a grasp of a bit of everything.

If that IT1 tells us anything about the examiner's psyche this year, I sense a shift of focus from your usual advantages and disadvantages type of questions to a more heavily descriptive/explanatory few questions. That PDF above has plenty of that as you will see.

Keep on with your regular mark schemes/past papers practise, just go over this whenever you can.

Time for a maths paper before the sun goes down:biggrin:.

Hope you are all well.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 304
Original post by AminaNessa
Guys I'm stuck I've got my ICT exam and my history exam on the same day 😭😭

I got my ICT History russia exam and law o4 exam in same day :frown:
:h:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by maxperkins519
How do you guys recommend i revise for the it3 wjec exam on the 16th of June? I want to get an A* but I have been focusing on my other linear a levels and have a really bad teacher who's unqualified to teach the course. I have already achieved 197 ums in my first year for the AS and have achieved full marks for my coursework this year, however I need 72/90 marks in the exam to get an A*. I have started memorising the mark schemes for simple topics such as networks and the databases etc but i am struggling with longer questions on topics such as the system development life cycle and the 8-10 mark questions about the internet and MIS. Has anyone got any tips or ideas of what is going to come up? Thanks.

Hi. I put posted a link to my predictions paper somewhere on the last couple of pages of this thread.

Take it with a pinch of salt as with any predictions, but learning exact answers is the way to go.

You'll need between 80 and 82 /90 for an A* assuming you have full marks in the coursework this year.

I do wish it was 72/90 for an A* haha. Maybe then more than 23 candidates out of like 3000 would get the A* in this subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by PedanticStudent
Hi. I put posted a link to my predictions paper somewhere on the last couple of pages of this thread.

Take it with a pinch of salt as with any predictions, but learning exact answers is the way to go.

You'll need between 80 and 82 /90 for an A* assuming you have full marks in the coursework this year.

I do wish it was 72/90 for an A* haha. Maybe then more than 23 candidates out of like 3000 would get the A* in this subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How often/have you guys been doing FULL past papers? how may times have you done each paper? if not, have you just been doing the questions by topic, and how often?
How often/have you guys been doing FULL past papers? how may times have you done each paper? if not, have you just been doing the questions by topic, and how often?

I broke everything down by topic and went through one by one starting back in October and finished in about February. Once I finished the course via mark schemes, I proceeded to complete around 2 full past papers per week. Each time I would get 88-90/90. I then took a break for a couple of weeks and then did all of the papers again. Just finished doing that recently.

Did my predictions paper (4.5hrs) on the weekend.

I intend to do three or four more IT papers before the exam just to sharpen up for the final time.
Will probably do the four most recent ones as the predictions paper covers a great deal of older stuff such as disaster recover programme and feasibility report which hasn't come up for a long while.

Will probably cram the stuff that has never come up before the day prior to the exam (it isn't really all that much)

By the way, I basically ditched IT lessons except for coursework right at the beginning which is how I have done so much. Don't be concerned if your level of work has not amounted to this. One can get a decent grade without having to do all of that.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Ali173
I got my ICT History russia exam and law o4 exam in same day :frown:

Damnn I feel sorry for you. But same ict and russia on the same day and abs hate russia
Reply 310
God knows.

Thank god I only need a D in IT3 for A overall. If this IT1 is anything to go by then all hope of an A* has gone haha - not to worry, my offer for uni is AAA.

I will likely be producing "mark schemes" for each of those little things in that PDF which haven't come up yet - probably will just scan some of the textbook and lift some stuff off google where the textbook isn't sufficient.

Keep an eye out for that later.

Has there ever been a quetion on online databases ?
Original post by AA923
Has there ever been a quetion on online databases ?

http://jacktilson.net/edu/ict/pastpapers/IT3/IT3-jan-10.pdf

Question 4b(ii)
Reply 312

Sorry ,forgot to mention except that one :')
Original post by AA923
Sorry ,forgot to mention except that one :':wink:

nope:biggrin:
If you wrote factors of a good MIS in a question asking about effecive MIS or vice vera, would you still get the marks?

Factors which can lead to a good MIS include the following:
-Accuracy of the information produced usually dependent on the accuracy of the data input
-Ability to allow managers to set up their own queries flexibly
-Presents the data in an appropriate form, for example a graph, to make it easy to understand
-Can be used by managers who have differing experience and skills in the use of ICT
-Ability to be transferred to other packages for further processing/analysis such as a spreadsheet package

Factors which make an effective Management Information System:
-Accuracy and relevancy of the data-The data used from the transaction systems that supply data to the management system must have passed a data validation and verification check.
-Flexibility of the system- Managers of different sections have different requirements and the MIS must be able to cope with this.
-Providing data/information in an appropriate form (table/graph)-Managers will need the data presented in the easiest form for them to interpret, some will want it in tabular form and some in graphical.
-Accessible to a wide range of users / Different expertise-Can be used by managers who have a range of ICT skills and knowledge.
nope:biggrin:

what kind of question do you think could be about normalisation i.e 1NF 2NF and 3NF?

is that not like the questions that are in previous papers where you have to create new tables??
Original post by tommylad
If you wrote factors of a good MIS in a question asking about effecive MIS or vice vera, would you still get the marks?

Factors which can lead to a good MIS include the following:
-Accuracy of the information produced usually dependent on the accuracy of the data input
-Ability to allow managers to set up their own queries flexibly
-Presents the data in an appropriate form, for example a graph, to make it easy to understand
-Can be used by managers who have differing experience and skills in the use of ICT
-Ability to be transferred to other packages for further processing/analysis such as a spreadsheet package

Factors which make an effective Management Information System:
-Accuracy and relevancy of the data-The data used from the transaction systems that supply data to the management system must have passed a data validation and verification check.
-Flexibility of the system- Managers of different sections have different requirements and the MIS must be able to cope with this.
-Providing data/information in an appropriate form (table/graph)-Managers will need the data presented in the easiest form for them to interpret, some will want it in tabular form and some in graphical.
-Accessible to a wide range of users / Different expertise-Can be used by managers who have a range of ICT skills and knowledge.

You have to be extremely careful to make sure you write the correct point. There is an overlap between four of the good points and four of the effective points, and the extension points are very much the same but This is one of the biggest pitfalls and it catches people out every time.

Eg

Good: Accuracy of the data
Effective: Accuracy and relevancy of the data

Posted from TSR Mobile
You have to be extremely careful to make sure you write the correct point. There is an overlap between four of the good points and four of the effective points, and the extension points are very much the same but This is one of the biggest pitfalls and it catches people out every time.

Eg

Good: Accuracy of the data
Effective: Accuracy and relevancy of the data

Posted from TSR Mobile

so they are really two different answers?
so they are really two different answers?

Yes, this is one of the many malicious questions on the exam.

Logically, if something is good then it will also be effective, common sense would say that the two are the same

It's just one of those many REALLY pedantic, harsh things that this exam is infamous for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, this is one of the many malicious questions on the exam.

Logically, if something is good then it will also be effective, common sense would say that the two are the same

It's just one of those many REALLY pedantic, harsh things that this exam is infamous for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are there any other questions which are worded like this in other topics?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending