The Student Room Group

How doI get my father to understand thatt I do not want anything to do with Jamaica?

My father keeps on pushing Jamaica on to me.

I have almost nothing to do with the country, I've only been there twice. I don't like the country.

I don't like the accent of the people, it REALLY annoys me, I can't tolerant it at all. I wish it would disappear so I don't have to hear it.

My father has started to talk like that to me "so I can understand it". He knows I can't stand it yet keeps on doing it.

He tells me that he's talking on his "natural tongue" he's not, he's using a fake accent. It's not his real voice.

I'm not really interested in the food. I find it boring and repittive. The only thing I like is my grandmother's rice and peas, I don't eat it all the time.

I don't understand why when I go to family functions it's all they have, there are no foods from other countries, there's no variation.

I told my father that if I were to get married there wouldn't be any Jamaican food. The food will be from all over the world.
He tells me I should have "black" people food.
I'm not interested in the music whatsoever. I only listen to video game music and Japanese music.

My father keeps on telling me that I'll like it one day and that's it's in my blood. I told him that if I were going to like it I would have liked I already. I've always liked video game music.

Is there anything I can do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Catsarefamily

I have almost nothing to do with the country, I've only been there twice. I don't like the country.

I don't like the accent of the people, it REALLY annoys me, I can't tolerant it at all. I wish it would disappear so I don't have to hear it.

My father has started to talk like that to me "so I can understand it". He knows I can't stand it yet keeps on doing it.

He tells me that he's talking on his "natural tongue" he's not, he's using a fake accent. It's not his real voice.

I'm not really interested in the food. I find it boring and repittive. The only thing I like is my grandmother's rice and peas, I don't eat it all the time.

I don't understand why when I go to family functions it's all they have, there are no foods from other countries, there's no variation.

I told my father that if I were to get married there wouldn't be any Jamaican food. The food will be from all over the world.
I'm not interested in the music whatsoever. I only listen to video game music and Japanese music.

My father keeps on telling me that I'll like it one day and that's it's in my blood. I told him that if I were going to like it I would have liked I already. I've always liked video game music.

Well if you don't like it, there is not much you can do, it is their culture at the end of the day and that's pretty much their identity. If it's bothering you so much, then move out.

It's the same with my Mother, she doesn't like listening to modern day western music and only listens to afrobeats & watches Nollywood majority of the time.
Just say Why Jamaica me keep going to Jamaica every ting gwarn be ire.
Can me ask what does your mum use to make her rice and peas black eyed beans?

You may miss out of a major party of your background. Are you full jamaican from your ancestry?

Try to remain open, i doubt there is nothing you can take from your jamaican roots.
QUOTE=Wired_1800;72008908]You may miss out of a major party of your background. Are you full jamaican from your ancestry?

Try to remain open, i doubt there is nothing you can take from your jamaican roots.

I don't really care. I don't feel anything for the country.

I wasn't born there. (If I were I would make myself mute and deaf.)

There's nothing that I care about when it comes to the country.

I don't understand why my father wants me to care about it.
He keeps on telling me that they're "my people". They're not, they're just people who just happen to have brown skin like myself.I feel nothing for them.

He keeps on telling me that they're "my people". They're not, they're just people who just happen to have brown skin like myself.I feel nothing for them.

I am not saying that you should sell your soul to Jamaica. I am saying that you should learn something from that portion of your background.

Dont have a narrow mind, you may lose in the end.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Wired_1800

I am not saying that you should sell your soul to Jamaica. I am saying that you should learn something from that portion of your background.

Dont have a narrow mind, you may lose in the end.

I don't really care about it. I don't feel anything for it. I don't like it.

All you can do is voice your true opinion. Also, by forcing this upon you, it may just mean he wants you to embrace your heritage. Just tell him that you feel no connection to Jamaica and don't really want to.
Just tell him you feel British and like multiculturalism, that's how you sound.
Why would he have a problem with it?
Reply 10
Okay laddie, What you do is you listen to me, What i want you to do is tell your dad that "you are not my real father, and I am a coconut." This should work out really good for you.
Original post by 69XD
Okay laddie, What you do is you listen to me, What i want you to do is tell your dad that "you are not my real father, and I am a coconut." This should work out really good for you.

This method has worked for me before it tried and proven
Original post by 69XD

My father is my father and I am not a "coconut".
Don't deny your family origins but try to change the subject. And don't be unkind to others who make a deal out of theirs.
Just tell him it's "Jamaican me crazy"

okay well my Dad is very well spoken him and his family were born in a small house in the country and grew up there so they don't have an accent from a town or a city and neither do I but he has started talking really common as if to blend in or be weird since he started working at a factory. That's a bit of an alarm bell there because it's a polar opposite to what their normally like. I'd just tell him to stop annoying you.
You go to him, and you say 'Father, I understand what you are doing for me. But what do you see in me? Because....I see pride. I see power. I see a badass mother who don't take no crap off of nobody!'

Don't do that.
Look, you don't have to like your culture or want anything to do with it.

I'm not saying you must beg at their feet, but respect the culture. You may hate the food and the music, but that's your opinion. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's boring and repetitive. It is an important part of your dad's life and as his child, he would naturally like for you to take it on.

For example if someone is vegan and you eat meat but you want to stay eating meat, you aren't going to downright disrespect the vegan - you'd still respect it no matter what.

This is different but my mum is an art addict. I didn't really like the art she liked but I went to galleries and shows etc and respected her passions. In turn, my mum and I go to the gym- which I love but my mum hates.

I was born here too but my family are Dominican. My grandma has her accent despite leaving home 63 years ago and naturally whilst I talk to her or to my mum(who was born here too) the 'natural tongue' slips in - even though I wasn't not born there.

It's not nice to say you would become deaf and mute. I'm deaf in one ear myself and would crave to not wear my hearing aid all the time and hear cheesy, boring, repetitive video game music properly.

Be careful.
Original post by barnetlad
Don't deny your family origins but try to change the subject. And don't be unkind to others who make a deal out of theirs.

Original post by Anfanny
Just tell him it's "Jamaican me crazy"

I don't like talking about the country or saying the name... It makes me feel uncomfortable...

Original post by jabbathemuttdog
Look, you don't have to like your culture or want anything to do with it.

I'm not saying you must beg at their feet, but respect the culture. You may hate the food and the music, but that's your opinion. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's boring and repetitive. It is an important part of your dad's life and as his child, he would naturally like for you to take it on. .

I do not hate the food or music. I find the food boring as it’s pretty much the only thing that’s there at family gettogethers. I dislike that there is no variation of food. It’s always the same old stuff Curried Goat/Chicken, Jerk Chicken and rice and peas. I wish they could make food from other parts of the world.

I do not hate the music. It’s just not my taste of music.

Original post by jabbathemuttdog
Look

This is different but my mum is an art addict. I didn't really like the art she liked but I went to galleries and shows etc and respected her passions. In turn, my mum and I go to the gym- which I love but my mum hates. .

I do not understand going to somewhere or doing something you didn’t like or are not interested in.

I was born here too but my family are Dominican. My grandma has her accent despite leaving home 63 years ago and naturally whilst I talk to her or to my mum(who was born here too) the 'natural tongue' slips in - even though I wasn't not born there.

It's not nice to say you would become deaf and mute. I'm deaf in one ear myself and would crave to not wear my hearing aid all the time and hear cheesy, boring, repetitive video game music properly.

Be careful.

I’m sorry. It’s how I feel about the way they talk. I cannot stand it at all,. I avoid anyone who talks like that. I wish it never existed.
I don't like talking about the country or saying the name... It makes me feel uncomfortable...

I do not hate the food or music. I find the food boring as it’s pretty much the only thing that’s there at family gettogethers. I dislike that there is no variation of food. It’s always the same old stuff Curried Goat/Chicken, Jerk Chicken and rice and peas. I wish they could make food from other parts of the world.

I do not hate the music. It’s just not my taste of music.

I do not understand going to somewhere or doing something you didn’t like or are not interested in.

Be careful.

I’m sorry. It’s how I feel about the way they talk. I cannot stand it at all,. I avoid anyone who talks like that. I wish it never existed.

1) Doing something I didn't like with someone I love allowed me to build a bond with my mum. It pushed me out of my comfort zone and I understood why my mum loved it. I eventually started to like it(even though it's not my fav).- I'm not saying you will.

2) Regardless of how you feel, it is a very ignorant and careless thing to say. At least you can eat, swallow and not have to be fed food through a tube in your freaking stomach.

3) Because it's their culture I don't think that they would cook foods from all around the world. It's much less likely that you'll see a Scottish born man/woman cook ackee at their family get together - unless they are Jamaican. They will cook the same Scottish foods.

4) If you want to try different foods from around the world in your own time that's fine, but at a family get together most people will want to eat their traditional food.

5) Jamaican food is a mix of worldly foods and cultures etc. Curry goat is cooked in South Asia.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending