The Student Room Group

WJEC Information & Communication Technology IT3 (LEGACY) 1243/01 - 16 Jun 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tommylad
Are there any other questions which are worded like this in other topics?

Not that i immediately recall of no; If I come across one again I will post it here. I do believe that MIS is the only one that is like this, there are a couple of other very similar ones but cant think of them rn
I got 183 UMS last year and full marks in coursework this year and last year what do i need to get out of 90 to get an A in IT3?
Original post by zoemary
I got 183 UMS last year and full marks in coursework this year and last year what do i need to get out of 90 to get an A in IT3?

That's close to mine so about 58/90 odd - somewhere close to that anyway.
Reply 323
I got 184 UMS last year and full marks in coursework this year what do i need to get out of 90 to get an A* in IT3?
Original post by Mtz
I got 184 UMS last year and full marks in coursework this year what do i need to get out of 90 to get an A* in IT3?

I think you have to get 90% in the IT3 exam for an A* which is 81/90
Reply 325
Original post by tommylad
I think you have to get 90% in the IT3 exam for an A* which is 81/90

Thank you im just hoping they dont give any questions that have not been asked
Original post by Mtz
Thank you im just hoping they dont give any questions that have not been asked

Yes tommy is correct.

I am also praying for another cloned paper like the good old days. I am baffled as to how he gets away with setting such high grade boundaries when the average grade is still an E.
Reply 327
Original post by PedanticStudent
Yes tommy is correct.

I am also praying for another cloned paper like the good old days. I am baffled as to how he gets away with setting such high grade boundaries when the average grade is still an E.

I agree the boundaries are quite high considering the average. I would have thought that as this is the last paper of this course they wouldnt bother adding new questions but after looking at IT1 im not too sure
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Mtz
I agree the bounderies are quite high considering the average. I would have thought that as this is the last paper of this course they wouldnt bother adding new questions but after looking at IT1 im not too sure

I think it is the objective of the examiner to cover the entire specification over the life of the specification - that's what my business teacher tells me anyway, and I presume that it is a common policy across all subjects.

After looking at that IT1 paper in full, I'd have to say it wasn't really that bad. Many of the questions were just a twist of existing mark schemes - so if you knew the schemes well enough then you could just regurgitate the relevant area. The problem is, people tend to memorise answers and just dump them down regardless of what the question says - which to be fair has worked for a number of years.

The question about home DTP and pro DTP was just silly but a lot of the things about sensors could have been common sense for many people. Weather forecasting was also pretty reasonable.

IT3 in 2015 demonstrated that there is not a great deal left on the spec to ask - can probably ask one new question on the paper coming up tbh as there isn't a great deal more he could feasibly ask without the mean mark plummeting even lower than it already is.

The approach now just seems to be to demand an increased number of points, or twist the mark scheme around to shift the focus to something else. (FIVE operational procedures on 2015, and also the question about the internet on 2015 where you could just make the answer to a previous question fit the context)

We saw that in the IT1 just gone with the body scanning, MRI and CAT scanners were reasonably described in the mark scheme for 2014 but the previous question didn't actually require a thorough explanation of the scanners, it was more about the advantages and disadvantages.

It is difficult to see how it will pan out, but like you say, not long left for the specification - the last exam in England is 2018, with Wales following in 2020. Why would he bother making his job harder by bringing in a load of new questions?

Can only hope.
I think it is the objective of the examiner to cover the entire specification over the life of the specification - that's what my business teacher tells me anyway, and I presume that it is a common policy across all subjects.

After looking at that IT1 paper in full, I'd have to say it wasn't really that bad. Many of the questions were just a twist of existing mark schemes - so if you knew the schemes well enough then you could just regurgitate the relevant area. The problem is, people tend to memorise answers and just dump them down regardless of what the question says - which to be fair has worked for a number of years.

The question about home DTP and pro DTP was just silly but a lot of the things about sensors could have been common sense for many people. Weather forecasting was also pretty reasonable.

IT3 in 2015 demonstrated that there is not a great deal left on the spec to ask - can probably ask one new question on the paper coming up tbh as there isn't a great deal more he could feasibly ask without the mean mark plummeting even lower than it already is.

The approach now just seems to be to demand an increased number of points, or twist the mark scheme around to shift the focus to something else. (FIVE operational procedures on 2015, and also the question about the internet on 2015 where you could just make the answer to a previous question fit the context)

We saw that in the IT1 just gone with the body scanning, MRI and CAT scanners were reasonably described in the mark scheme for 2014 but the previous question didn't actually require a thorough explanation of the scanners, it was more about the advantages and disadvantages.

It is difficult to see how it will pan out, but like you say, not long left for the specification - the last exam in England is 2018, with Wales following in 2020. Why would he bother making his job harder by bringing in a load of new questions?

Can only hope.

do you think they will put many surprises in?
What do you need out of 400 to get an A?
Reply 331
Original post by zoemary
What do you need out of 400 to get an A?

Original post by zoemary
do you think they will put many surprises in?

I really do not know. Just go into the exam expecting maybe 1-4 surprises as we can't know how it's going to pan out. Just don't panic if you see an unfamiliar question. Maybe just write the question number, leave plenty of room and come back to it after you have done all the questions you can just regurgitate mark scheme for.

20 page answer booklet is used for IT3 so space is not an issue.
Original post by AA923

So essentially if i only get half the marks i can still get an A overall by getting full marks in coursework in It2 and It4 and getting 183 ums in it1?
Original post by zoemary
So essentially if i only get half the marks i can still get an A overall by getting full marks in coursework in It2 and It4 and getting 183 ums in it1?

I think you mean the AS level is 183ums, presuming this and that you get full on the coursework you need just shy of 50% UMS in IT3 which to be safe is 55/90 thereabouts
Will you be making an unofficial mark scheme after the exam pls?
Original post by mayhs98
Will you be making an unofficial mark scheme after the exam pls?

Depends on how mentally drained I am on the day - I have C4 after IT3 so might be too knackered to do it, also my last exam is on the following monday so this will take priority.

But yes I probably will make one, should be able to do it reasonably quickly as I've got that question pack. Any new questions will just go off the textbook.
Reply 337
Depends on how mentally drained I am on the day - I have C4 after IT3 so might be too knackered to do it, also my last exam is on the following monday so this will take priority.

But yes I probably will make one, should be able to do it reasonably quickly as I've got that question pack. Any new questions will just go off the textbook.

Make sure you rest well afterwards :smile:
How do you answer this question- June 2014 Question 10
The mark scheme is so confusing.
If yuo can do the prediction paper do you think anyone will do fine?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending