The Student Room Group

Labour wins UK's richest constituency for the first time in history

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/june2017/2017/06/labour-wins-kensington-uks-richest-constituency-first-time

Labour has won Kensington, the UK's richest constituency, for the first time.

This safe Tory seat, which had a majority of 7,361 in 2015 and was not seen as a credible target for Labour, was won by Labour in the final result announced in the election.
Reply 1
Yes I know! It was only by 20 votes but still! I think it because the Lib Dem MP did a very good campaign and so lots of people who normally vote tory voted for her. Also, Kensington used to be with chelsea which is super tory but now its just Kensington and some parts of Kensington tend to be very labour.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Yeah, Kensington has a lot of poorer parts who vote for Labour - Chelsea and Fulham is and will stay Tory :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by iFluffle
Yeah, Kensington has a lot of poorer parts who vote for Labour - Chelsea and Fulham is and will stay Tory :smile:

You say that but that is what most people thought about Kensington! It got 52% tory vote in 2015...!
Original post by emma.m99
Yes I know! It was only by 20 seats but still! I think it because the Lib Dem MP did a very good campaign and so lots of people who normally vote tory voted for her. Also, Kensington used to be with chelsea which is super tory but now its just Kensington and some parts of Kensington tend to be very labour.

20 seats? I thought it was 20 votes? Oh welllll
Original post by MagicNMedicine
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/june2017/2017/06/labour-wins-kensington-uks-richest-constituency-first-time

Labour has won Kensington, the UK's richest constituency, for the first time.

This safe Tory seat, which had a majority of 7,361 in 2015 and was not seen as a credible target for Labour, was won by Labour in the final result announced in the election.

Who woulda thought the "dementia tax" would be rejected by people with the most expensive houses? :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Yes it was very impressive and probably one of the key examples of 'revenge of the remainer' (I believe Kensington was almost 70% remain).
Reply 7
Original post by feministy
20 seats? I thought it was 20 votes? Oh welllll

Ahh yes sorry I meant votes!
Maggie and Ted would be turning in their graves

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Imperial students???
They must vote labour

Posted from TSR Mobile
The north side of Kensington in the shadow of Westway where Grenfell Tower burnt down is a hell hole of a place. It was infamous in the 1950s for the hundreds of slum apartments owned by the notorious landlord Rachman.

The old Kensington North constituency was Labour between 1945 and 1974.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending