The Student Room Group

what is the best way to memorize definitions?

what is the best way to do it?

really struggling to memorize some of the concepts for my upcoming exam. i feel like i am gonna under perform
quote to reply please
Reply 2
Make double sided flashcards, the word on one side and the definition on the other. Practice picking them up (definition facing downwards), reading the word, saying the definition and turning it over to see if you were right. After a while you should be able to remember them pretty well depending on how long you've been doing it.
Original post by Cemi
Make double sided flashcards, the word on one side and the definition on the other. Practice picking them up (definition facing downwards), reading the word, saying the definition and turning it over to see if you were right. After a while you should be able to remember them pretty well depending on how long you've been doing it.

what about writing everything down first and then just using your hand to cover and check ?
Original post by study beats
what about writing everything down first and then just using your hand to cover and check ?

flashcards are the best way to do it-use quizlet, on the app version the 'learn' mode is really useful as it tests you on all the stuff you're bad at multiple times so you'll remember!!!
If you have trouble remembering a definition, I find that if you come up with a memorable way of remembering it, it stays in your memory

Like for example, I had to learn dates for my music gcse. The Schoenberg was composed in 1909 so I would think, Shoenburg was in a bad mood because he composed the piece before the war. The funnier is it, the more memorable it is

Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by upbeat4
If you have trouble remembering a definition, I find that if you come up with a memorable way of remembering it, it stays in your memory

Like for example, I had to learn dates for my music gcse. The Schoenberg was composed in 1909 so I would think, Shoenburg was in a bad mood because he composed the piece before the war. The funnier is it, the more memorable it is

Original post by pastelsloth
flashcards are the best way to do it-use quizlet, on the app version the 'learn' mode is really useful as it tests you on all the stuff you're bad at multiple times so you'll remember!!!

and what about writing everything down? does writing help ?
Original post by upbeat4

also it isnt really just definitions

its also the descriptions
Reply 8
How many definitions do you need to know and how long do you have to learn them?
Original post by Cemi
How many definitions do you need to know and how long do you have to learn them?

for example: i have to learn these descriptions :

Control loop requirements: ‘In order to maintain system stability, the control loop must be executed every 10 milliseconds’.
Algorithmic requirements:
‘Weapon delivery computation must be done 500 times per second in order to maintain numerical stability. This translates directly to the accuracy with which the target may be attacked’. Human factors requirements: ‘Keypad presses must be handled within 250 milliseconds to convince the operators that the system is responding correctly’. Computation requirements: 'The throughput of the pipeline processor system is such that target information can be presented to the weapons officer within 100 milliseconds of receiving radar updates'. Response requirements: ‘The gas blanketing system must be fired off within 10 milliseconds of detecting flame in the fuel tank'. Note that any sensible examples are acceptable. [10 marks]

(a) The basic task carried out by embedded computer systems fall into two major categories:

Periodic or synchronous: These are executed repeatedly at regular time intervals.

Aperiodic or asychronous: These are executed in response to a demand or event, and are essentially random in nature.

Examples of these are:

Periodic: (i) Closed-loop control system (any type).

(ii) Updating of a CRT display.

Aperiodic: (i) Bomb release control (activated by the bomb release signal).

(ii) Engine start-up (invoked by pressing the start button).

[6 marks]

(b) Dealing with absolute and relative time (by having direct access to the environment's time frame [2 marks], by using an internal hardware clock that gives an adequate approximation to the passage of time in the environment [2 marks]; access to a clock [1 marks]; operations to read/set a clock or timer [2 marks]; delay a task [2 marks]

Reply 10
I would still stick with flashcards, all you need to do is get some paper,cut them out into cards the size you need. For example, on one side you could write "how many times must weapon delivery computation be done per second and why?" and on the other side write "500 times per second to maintain numerical stability".Then on another flashcard you could write "what are the human factor requirements of... and why?" and the other side would be "keypad presses must be handled withing 250 milliseconds to convince the operators that the system is responding correctly".
also it isnt really just definitions

its also the descriptions

writing has been said to improve memory-sometimes what i like to do is use the flashcard to memorize it initally but write the content from the flashcard onto paper since it makes it easier.

flashcards work well for things other than descriptions too-i do gcse science and using freesciencelesson's flashcards really help-a whole paper is summarized in a about 200 cards each which do take about a day to learn if you're slow but about 5 hours for me- but it's worth it as the info sticks. some examples of his can be found: http://freesciencelessons.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Unit-1-Biology-flashcards.pdf

^so just make something similar and it'll all stay in your head, flashcards haven't failed me since i first started using them! :redface:

if you need help in writing them properly, in a way that's the best to get them memorized, the freesciencelessons dude talked about it in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1Q3J3g6X2w&t=2m40s

but yeah best of luck with everything, i hope you memorize it all!
writing has been said to improve memory-sometimes what i like to do is use the flashcard to memorize it initally but write the content from the flashcard onto paper since it makes it easier.

flashcards work well for things other than descriptions too-i do gcse science and using freesciencelesson's flashcards really help-a whole paper is summarized in a about 200 cards each which do take about a day to learn if you're slow but about 5 hours for me- but it's worth it as the info sticks. some examples of his can be found: http://freesciencelessons.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Unit-1-Biology-flashcards.pdf

^so just make something similar and it'll all stay in your head, flashcards haven't failed me since i first started using them! :redface:

if you need help in writing them properly, in a way that's the best to get them memorized, the freesciencelessons dude talked about it in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1Q3J3g6X2w&t=2m40s

but yeah best of luck with everything, i hope you memorize it all!

i would love to use flash cards but i dont think i have the time and resources to do it. how am i gonna write a whole passage on one card ?
i would love to use flash cards but i dont think i have the time and resources to do it. how am i gonna write a whole passage on one card ?

it's okay-if it's done digitally it's over quick
as for a whole passage-try to split things up across several cards as much as you can as this will help to make them easier to understand instead of chucking it all onto one card.

look at each individual point or idea and make a card on that then work from there, it will usually be over before you know it when it comes to flashcards
Try using a mnuenomic to remember the first word of each sentence? That's how I remember French writing essays.
Original post by samwesttt
Try using a mnuenomic to remember the first word of each sentence? That's how I remember French writing essays.

i dont think thats gonna work in this case
Reply 16
what is the best way to do it?

really struggling to memorize some of the concepts for my upcoming exam. i feel like i am gonna under perform

Ok so I do this two ways with two separate revision materials.

1) Double sided flashcards : Wrtie the word or phrase on one side and the definiton on the other.

2) Definition mindmap : This works as a drip feed when I wake up or about to go to sleep. Opposite my bed I hand a mindmap of definition and their corresponding word besdie them so I am slowly remembering them just by looking at them.

I hope this helps. It doesn't work on everyone but there's nothing wrong with trying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending