The Student Room Group

Access to Nursing and Midwifery HE Course

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by kaylee123
I have had a offer for Bangor university. Hopefully they won't just look at my grades thank you x

Congrats honey
Original post by nelfran29
Calling all Mature Students!!!

Who's done this course if so, have you applied to any universities, any issues with grades or final certificates.

Any offers for Nursing/Midwifery/ODP

Let's talk!!!

Just to also let you know, I have applied for Adult Nursing for Sept 2017!!!

Are there any exams involved in this access course?
Reply 22
Original post by Blackstarr
Are there any exams involved in this access course?

Normally your have a maths exam you do a couple of modules, I'm sure all the access courses the same can't remember anymore exams.

Are you doing the access now or thinking about it?
Normally your have a maths exam you do a couple of modules, I'm sure all the access courses the same can't remember anymore exams.

I am thinking about it:smile:

with the maths exam, is it part of the access course or just to test your ability to get unto the course?

How many units in total?
Reply 25
I am thinking about it:smile:

with the maths exam, is it part of the access course or just to test your ability to get unto the course?

Coming to think of it, some access courses require you to undertake a maths and English test to see what level your working at, then they decide if your working level is suitable for the course. As you already know access courses are for over 19s some people haven't been to school or college for years and this forms the foundation for progression to degree level if that makes sense.

I know the access courses have changed since I did mine years ago. But normally you would have to sit a maths exam and go through the required modules when their due. If you really want to do an access course you should have a look at your local colleges prospectus to see the course content, this should includes modules and exams, better still give them a call and see when their next open day is so you can speak to the module tutors and so on.

What are your interests if you don't mind me asking? Is nursing something you want to get into?

:smile:
Coming to think of it, some access courses require you to undertake a maths and English test to see what level your working at, then they decide if your working level is suitable for the course. As you already know access courses are for over 19s some people haven't been to school or college for years and this forms the foundation for progression to degree level if that makes sense.

I know the access courses have changed since I did mine years ago. But normally you would have to sit a maths exam and go through the required modules when their due. If you really want to do an access course you should have a look at your local colleges prospectus to see the course content, this should includes modules and exams, better still give them a call and see when their next open day is so you can speak to the module tutors and so on.

What are your interests if you don't mind me asking? Is nursing something you want to get into?

:smile:

I am actually 19, i have got my GCSES including English and Maths and yes, i am interested in nursing.
Reply 27
I am actually 19, i have got my GCSES including English and Maths and yes, i am interested in nursing.

Hi, @Blackstarr :smile:

Do you have experience in care?

Do you have any universities in mind/ locations of course?

This is an example of what London South Bank University require for their Adult Nursing degree Sept 2017 entry, These nursing courses are subject to tuition fees of £9250 per year. So that's over £27K for 3 years :angry:

Whereas previously these courses were funded by the government (Not anymore) :frown:

Really consider the financial implications of this course, I sadly can't afford the course and have to rely on student loans for the 3 years and this will eventually have to be paid back. :frown:

2017 entry

A Level BCC or;

BTEC National Diploma DMM or;

Access to HE qualifications with 9 Distinctions and 36 Merits or;

Equivalent level 3 qualifications worth 112 UCAS points.

Applicants must hold 5 GCSEs A-C including Maths and English or equivalent (reformed GCSEs grade 4 or above).

Adult Nursing - BSc (Hons) | London South Bank University

www.lsbu.ac.uk/courses/course-finder/adult-nursing-bsc-hons

Hope this helps.:smile:
Hi, @Blackstarr :smile:

Do you have experience in care?

Do you have any universities in mind/ locations of course?

This is an example of what London South Bank University require for their Adult Nursing degree Sept 2017 entry, These nursing courses are subject to tuition fees of £9250 per year. So that's over £27K for 3 years :angry:

Whereas previously these courses were funded by the government (Not anymore) :frown:

Really consider the financial implications of this course, I sadly can't afford the course and have to rely on student loans for the 3 years and this will eventually have to be paid back. :frown:

2017 entry

A Level BCC or;

BTEC National Diploma DMM or;

Access to HE qualifications with 9 Distinctions and 36 Merits or;

Equivalent level 3 qualifications worth 112 UCAS points.

Applicants must hold 5 GCSEs A-C including Maths and English or equivalent (reformed GCSEs grade 4 or above).

Adult Nursing - BSc (Hons) | London South Bank University

www.lsbu.ac.uk/courses/course-finder/adult-nursing-bsc-hons

Hope this helps.:smile:

Thanks for your reply:smile:
Reply 29
Thanks for your reply:smile:

Your very welcome :wink:
Hi ☺I am interested into doing the access into nursing and midwifery.Would I get funding for this I am currently on benefits with 2 kids youngest will start nursery soon.I would like to do adult nursing.The nearest university's to me are the Stafford, Wolverhampton
Reply 31
Original post by Soniaaa123
Hi ☺I am interested into doing the access into nursing and midwifery.Would I get funding for this I am currently on benefits with 2 kids youngest will start nursery soon.I would like to do adult nursing.The nearest university's to me are the Stafford, Wolverhampton

Hi @Soniaaa123

Since your on benefits you may be entitled to a discount, but your safest bet would be to check with the college directly to and go from there. X
hi just wondering if its possible to do the midwifery course if you have not got your maths and english at a grade 4 ? thanks
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 33
Hi @rhianne Rees normally they require you to have your GCSE maths and English sometimes they accept equivalent qualifications for these, the best thing to do is to contact the admissions team and ask them directly what their likely to accept, also check UCAS or the direct university for entry requirements hope that helps x
Original post by rhianne rees
hi just wondering if its possible to do the midwifery course if you have not got your maths and english at a grade 4 ? thanks
okay thank you x
Hi @rhianne Rees normally they require you to have your GCSE maths and English sometimes they accept equivalent qualifications for these, the best thing to do is to contact the admissions team and ask them directly what their likely to accept, also check UCAS or the direct university for entry requirements hope that helps x
i have just applied to do access to nursing and midwifery after 26 years out of education so excited and nervous...how did you find it
Reply 36
Original post by michelle down
i have just applied to do access to nursing and midwifery after 26 years out of education so excited and nervous...how did you find it

Hi @michelle down

This is my first post copied and pasted below, please refer to the whole thread that marks my experience thanks. Hope this helps xx

Well, I did the access to nursing and midwifery programme a couple of years ago and its' the best course out there for mature students (over 19s) in terms of getting into Nursing/Midwifery/ODP and for those who don't currently hold A Levels to get into university.

To get into Nursing, this is a great first step. The good thing about doing this programme is that not only do you learn biology, chemistry, and science you can develop your English, maths and research skills which is crucial when going to university especially for health courses.

It's also good to start looking at entry requirements for your chosen universities they do change, and of course we all want to get the best grades in all our essays and exams so knuckle down and do your research when writing essays ask for feedback this helps you improve, after all we want to do our very best. This will urge you to work harder. Many universities want more distinctions than merits or simple passes. If you start getting high grades in college this can only mean good things for you, it will give you the strength to progress to degree level.

Pay attention to deadlines too and use the support of tutors and lecturers, after all, they are the experts in this field.

in terms of getting into the profession as an HCA, try to join the hospital bank or look out for NHS jobs online check every day it changes a lot, if not try local care homes or agency work to get your foot in the door and get some experience. Try volunteering, even speaking to healthcare professionals might help its who you know as they say! There's always competition, but you need to give yourself the best chance and stand out from the crowd, your uniqueness and so on. You think that's hard, try applying to university it's the same thing! competition for nursing is fierce.

Also with government changes and no more bursaries, it's heart breaking our only option is funding the course ourselves or tied down to a student loan. Not to mention if you family and so on.

I hope I have given solid info if not please comment.
Reply 37
Hi, I am starting adult nursing at thesame university LSBU this September but I really do not know what to expect. How are you finding studying at Lsbu?
Hi. I’m currently 24 years old and work in the care industry. I’ve worked within the care setting for 3 years now. I’m wanting to do an access course to get me into UNI to do midwifery but I’m so scared I won’t pass the course...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending