The Student Room Group

AQA English Language GCSE 2017

So in section B of my exam today I chose to write the narrative because I always slip into a narrative when writing a description, so I got my inspiration from the source we were given, it was basically the same kinda plot and idea, but I changed the characters and described them differently obviously and made it my own, I was told by my teacher that you can take ideas as long as you don't copy it outright, which I didn't, so was just wondering if they'd penalise me for this? I added my own techniques in but didn't finish in time either😬 Any advice would be appreciated, thanks😊

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It seems like I was in a very similar situation to you! I chose to do a narrative but didn't finish it, I also took inspiration from the picture but added a couple different scenes and I ran out of time to finish it 🙁 (I just hope the examiner thinks the it was half- decent because I can't really tell whether it was good or terrible... ANYWAY in response to your question my English teacher said the same the same thing. By the sounds of it it seems like you made it clear you went for the narrative, also my guess is that the majority of the marks awarded would be for similar things (I haven't actually looked that up but the 2 tasks aren't exactly 2 opposite things). So don't worry too much if that's your main concern!
Just checking, the description was write a description about the bus/people on it and the writing was write about 2 contrasting characters from anywhere?
Reply 3
Original post by Tr0picalgaming
Just checking, the description was write a description about the bus/people on it and the writing was write about 2 contrasting characters from anywhere?

Yep
Reply 4

it was 2 people from different backrounds
Original post by Emgemm
Yep

K thanks my story fits but is ****ing weird xD

Gap year so someone from a priveledged family went travelling to zimbabwe and found a homeless person from zimbabwe and her became friends and the dude stole all her stuff.

Thats what happens when you have 20 minutes to do a 40 marker xD
Reply 6
K thanks my story fits but is ****ing weird xD

Gap year so someone from a priveledged family went travelling to zimbabwe and found a homeless person from zimbabwe and her became friends and the dude stole all her stuff.

Thats what happens when you have 20 minutes to do a 40 marker xD

Ahaha well it is creative! 😃 I wrote about one poor woman and an extremely wealthy guy who both hate their lives and eventually they meet up (via bus?!) And then I was going to describe the scene where there's a crash in more detail but ran out of time 😕...(I wrote mine in 20 mins too) Oh well! I'll just have to smash the next paper. Btw do u have any ideas on what mark I would need to get out of 160 (2 papers) to get a level 6?- no worries if you don't
Original post by Emgemm
Ahaha well it is creative! 😃 I wrote about one poor woman and an extremely wealthy guy who both hate their lives and eventually they meet up (via bus?!) And then I was going to describe the scene where there's a crash in more detail but ran out of time 😕...(I wrote mine in 20 mins too) Oh well! I'll just have to smash the next paper. Btw do u have any ideas on what mark I would need to get out of 160 (2 papers) to get a level 6?- no worries if you don't

You didn't have to make relevance to the bus do you :smile:?

Umm, in terms of marks, in my mock I did an english lang paper 1 and I got 56/80. I got graded on expected grade boundaries and worst possible grade boundaries. Worst possible grade boundaries 56 = lvl 5 and normal ones 56 = 7.

The texts will have one from the 19th century and one from the 21st so may be challenging to compare.

I think I got between 45-55 marks this time on paper 1 which I imagine to be between a lvl 4 - lvl 6 as I fully *******sed question 4 as I mis-interpreted a quote so I have only 2 decent paragraphs for that question.

My guess on grade boundaries however this is predictions:

4 - 80/160
5 - 96/160
6 - 104/160
7 - 120/160
8 - 138/160
9 - 152/160

4 will have a large range and 5 will shrink as 4 is now a pass. (C)

Always been a maths and science guy so been struggling with english xD

Literature felt alright however so that will be my english grade I imagine.

My tips for paper 2:

-Dont repeat/make same points in question 4 as you did q2
- Q2 will always ask for similarities or differences not both
- Do questions 1 and 3 first as they require you to only learn one extract
- Know the form of each of the writing types eg letter, newspaper etc

Good luck
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
You didn't have to make relevance to the bus do you :smile:?

Umm, in terms of marks, in my mock I did an english lang paper 1 and I got 56/80. I got graded on expected grade boundaries and worst possible grade boundaries. Worst possible grade boundaries 56 = lvl 5 and normal ones 56 = 7.

The texts will have one from the 19th century and one from the 21st so may be challenging to compare.

I think I got between 45-55 marks this time on paper 1 which I imagine to be between a lvl 4 - lvl 6 as I fully *******sed question 4 as I mis-interpreted a quote so I have only 2 decent paragraphs for that question.

My guess on grade boundaries however this is predictions:

4 - 80/160
5 - 96/160
6 - 104/160
7 - 120/160
8 - 138/160
9 - 152/160

4 will have a large range and 5 will shrink as 4 is now a pass. (C)

Always been a maths and science guy so been struggling with english xD

Literature felt alright however so that will be my english grade I imagine.

My tips for paper 2:

-Dont repeat/make same points in question 4 as you did q2
- Q2 will always ask for similarities or differences not both
- Do questions 1 and 3 first as they require you to only learn one extract
- Know the form of each of the writing types eg letter, newspaper etc

Good luck

Thank you so much, this is very helpful! Your predictions seem reasonable to me. Mrbruff's predictions (from youtube) for English language papers are:
4- 40/80
5- 43/44 out of 80
6- 46/47 out of 80
7- 50/80
Oh and no you didn't have to mention the bus but I usually mention something from the image for inspiration. I just had to make it more clear that I was writing a story and not a description.☺
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Emgemm
Thank you so much, this is very helpful! Your predictions seem reasonable to me. Mrbruff's predictions (from youtube) for English language papers are:
4- 40/80
5- 43/44 out of 80
6- 46/47 out of 80
7- 50/80
Oh and no you didn't have to mention the bus but I usually mention something from the image for inspiration. I just had to make it more clear that I was writing a story and not a description.☺

Yeah but I think this might be the worst possible grade boundaries as they are steep :smile:
Reply 10
we were told to describe a bus journey home
Reply 11
Yeah but I think this might be the worst possible grade boundaries as they are steep :smile:

Ahh I see
Reply 12
Original post by m4323
we were told to describe a bus journey home

After the exam? Is that what you did? I guess it would work if you took inspiration from the picture. I heard a few people in my class writing all sorts of different ideas.
Reply 13
Original post by Emgemm
After the exam? Is that what you did? I guess it would work if you took inspiration from the picture. I heard a few people in my class writing all sorts of different ideas.

i saw the question about the 2 different backrounds and wrote nothing about the bus -_-

*bus journey
Original post by Adaytoremember
*bus journey

The descriptive writing one was a bus journey - not the story?
Reply 16
Original post by Monkaay
i saw the question about the 2 different backrounds and wrote nothing about the bus -_-

Wait so did u do the description or the story?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Emgemm
Wait so did u do the description or the story?

I am very confused - I am 99% sure the story was about people from different backgrounds and didn't have to have no relevance to a bus

The descriptive writing was about the bus journey

Is that correct?

I did a weird story as did lots of other people with no relevance to the bus and that is correct right?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 18
I am very confused - I am 99% sure the story was about people from different backgrounds and didn't have to have no relevance to a bus

The descriptive writing was about the bus journey

Is that correct?

I did a weird story as did lots of other people with no relevance to the bus and that is correct right?

Yes it is:
Description- Describe the picture (which was of ppl on a bus)
Story- Write about people from different backrounds
Original post by Emgemm
Yes it is:
Description- Describe the picture (which was of ppl on a bus)
Story- Write about people from different backrounds

Thank **** xD Did crap enough already without *******sing the last question :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending