The Student Room Group

Get This Boy To Vet School! (A*AB)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
QUICK UPDATE 10/06/2017

Went through and remade a bunch of flash cards on the topics mentioned yesterday:

Spoiler

I'll run through them every few hours over the next week so that they're cemented in my brain. I've decided that tomorrow I'm going to take it easy, and just go through some old multiple choice CIE papers, as OCR have in the past been known to quite literally copy and paste old CIE questions into their G484 papers (often just changing the values slightly), so in the hopes of not getting caught out I'll peruse those old booklets and make a note of how to tackle any particularly difficult questions.
Reply 81
Biology paper tomorrow. Ran through flashcards today; realised this morning that I have Chemistry on Tuesday, not Physics, so I can spend Wednesday going through some old CIE papers. Quite tired. Won't be late out of bed tonight.

If nothing else, here is some inspiration for the next 7 days.

I'll report in again post-BIOL4. :redface:

TTFN!
Original post by Scitty
If nothing else, here is some inspiration for the next 7 days.

Love it :rofl: :h:

Especially like that you are on there also :yep: But yeah, I'm sure you can make them all proud. :h: For what it's worth this stranger on the internet is really impressed with all your hard work :yep:

Best of luck dude, you've got this!
Reply 83
Good luck on your exam tomorrow! :h:
Reply 84
12/06/17

IT'S D-DAY!!!

Thank you @mvictor and @Little Tail Chaser for your well wishes!

Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Especially like that you are on there also :yep: But yeah, I'm sure you can make them all proud. :h: For what it's worth this stranger on the internet is really impressed with all your hard work :yep:
It almost ended up being entirely of my dog and random pooches on the internet. Priorities. :wink:

BIOL4

I've just finished the unit 4 paper and...feeling pretty good! I went into college an hour early so I could chill out in the exam room and have some lunch (I caved and went for the ol' faithful peanut butter & banana sandwiches combo), then because I was the only one sitting was allowed to pick an earlier start time so we could all pack up and leave before 3pm. :tongue: Felt really calm during the exam; didn't even have butterflies going into it, so fingers crossed I didn't have brain fog!

Like other people doing any other AQA resits have been murmuring about, found this paper to be pretty much all past paper questions. In fact, one question (featuring the delightful Anoli lizards) was a carbon copy of its 2013 inspiration, so when I saw that and the mark scheme flashed up on my mind, I was very pleased. There was only one question that had me frowning a little, and that was a calculation of new population size from birth + death rate, but that's only because I forgot I had converted the numbers into P.O.T to make it easier to calculate, so couldn't work out why Mexico suddenly had the entire 2016 population of the earth chilling within its borders.

Timing wise I finished about 30 minutes early, which is average for me on Biology papers. I didn't feel rushed, and I spent ten minutes going back over answers, checking calculations, fixing some syntax etc. and then the invigilator let me go early before I could butcher my answer paper like I did last year.

I don't want to be too confident, but I'm pretty content I got at least 80% of the marks on that paper, and considering I only need to get an additional 5 UMS above what I had last year, I think I'll be okay. :smile:

Was glad to see this heckin' good boy in my exam today.

I just wanted to say, I'm so proud of you! I know what its like have mental health come in the way of exams, and I'm sohappy to see you've gotten back up again and again and again
Good luck in your recision, bit please remember to put your well bring first x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 86
Original post by Annie.k
I just wanted to say, I'm so proud of you! I know what its like have mental health come in the way of exams, and I'm sohappy to see you've gotten back up again and again and again
Good luck in your recision, bit please remember to put your well bring first x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, that means a lot to me. Hopefully I'm in a better place this year. :hugs: Good luck to you, too!
Reply 87
That's fantastic Scitty! I'm sure you did great. Yes, mental health can drag us all down. It's the only reason why I've fallen so behind over the last 5 years. But you're pursuing your dream and you'll make it if you believe in yourself :colondollar:
Reply 88
13/06/17

HALFWAY THERE

Original post by mvictor
That's fantastic Scitty! I'm sure you did great. Yes, mental health can drag us all down. It's the only reason why I've fallen so behind over the last 5 years. But you're pursuing your dream and you'll make it if you believe in yourself :colondollar:
Thank you! Mental health has so much to answer for, haha. This is now my 4th year of A-Levels, but definitely the last. Fingers crossed it all goes well...

CHEM4

I went through all the Chem 4 past papers last night, since a lot of people have reported AQAs resit papers being recycled questions. Pointless exercise, as they weren't nearly so kind for this paper. :tongue: Overall, not feeling too bad. Definitely got at least 80%, worked out I maybe dropped 7-12 marks which hopefully gets me >105 UMS? We'll have to see what the grade boundaries are like. Going into the exam with a thumping headache didn't help; took some meds but they didn't shift it at all. Bloody sinuses...

I definitely felt myself panicking during this exam. I couldn't stop fidgeting, and ended up getting the shakes halfway through, despite eating beforehand so my sugar levels weren't wonky. There are some questions I know I missed the marks on. Others I know I gained the marks on. The last pH question gave me a bit of trouble, as the first answer I worked out ended up using the wrong numbers, so I had to recalculate. Then I went back and assessed how many marking points my method would gain me, and it only came to 5 rather than 6, so tried going a different method and hoping I haven't shot myself in the foot and deleted the correct answer (I probably have).

I'm going to ignore what just happened, and set my mind to the last two exams. No use crying over spilled milk. :redface: It's done now, and I just need to make sure I get as many marks as possible on Chem 5, just in case I dropped too many on this paper.

Oh please, please, please let me smash Chem 5.

Sign depicting me pouring acid on myself, which is metaphorically representative of my panic over buffer calculations.

Reply 89
15/06/17

1 LEFT TO GO!

G484

I'm really upset with myself. I've been doing so well. I did everything I could to combat stress and anxiety ahead of time. What happens? 9.30AM exam. Physics. I wake up, have a panic attack, get into college aaaand...I'm sick. As in, physically ill. That paired with not sleeping much last night made for a very exhausting Physics exam. And add onto that that my college a) lost my data, formulae & relationship booklet and b) had a JCQ inspection in the middle of my exam meant it was all less than ideal.

But. But. I am not telling partner any of that, because he'll worry. Mum saw me having the attack this morning (and promptly trying to calm myself down with a failed attempt at kicking the mammalian dive reflex into action) so that can't be helped, but having her fretting is bad enough.

And despite all that, I don't think the exam went badly. I definitely did better than last year. The questions were odd a lot of relationship questions (express x in terms of y), not much on thermodynamics, and not much on gravitational fields. A lot of "explain phenomenon in terms of Newton's Laws" questions, but generally those were okay. There weren't any huge 6-8 marker questions, which I was pretty gutted by as those are usually really helpful when it comes to pulling up my grades. There was a bizarre 4-marker, but I think I got at least half marks on that, if not 3/4. I at least went into the exam feeling prepared, and there wasn't any question I couldn't answer because of lack of knowledge: if I struggled, it was because the panic attack made my brain slow to respond, or because I couldn't find a way to articulate what I wanted to say. So that's a good sign, at least...? Glad I went over some of the old CIE paper questions, though, as the sorts of questions we were asked in this paper were quite similar in style to the CIE ones. Good call on that plan, methinks.

Overall, I think I achieved a C at minimum which is, at the end of the day, all I need in this module. :redface: And at least it's over and done with and I have the rest of the day to relax. From the looks of things, people are panicking the heck out over it, so with any luck with others finding it difficult they won't make the grade boundaries too high.

Only one more exam to go now. Having today off, then over the weekend I'm going to use a-levelchemistry.co.uk to grind the heck out of the topics and cover every past paper question there is, on the off-chance that AQA do decide to recycle (and if they don't, I'll have done the methods a thousand times and should know them off by heart).

Farewell Newton, old buddy, old pal.
Reply 90
QUICK UPDATE - 18/06/2017

So my dad came down Friday for a birthday/Father's Day joint meal. I ended up not going as I was too tired, but yesterday we took the dog for a walk up on the moors to sniff around (pardon the pun) Foggintor, then over to family for a BBQ. She seemed to thoroughly enjoy the adventure. :smile:

Friday and today I've been going through the exam question booklets & test on a-levelchemistry.co.uk just to keep myself on my toes for tomorrow, but overall I'm feeling pretty prepared for it and providing I don't go to pieces like I did with the G484 paper, I know I can do well on this.

Plan of action is to get plenty of sleep tonight (I'll probably watch Lilo & Stitch or something to calm myself down, haha) and wake up early tomorrow to give myself plenty of time to have breakfast slowly, and calm myself down if I do end up having another panic attack. Probably going to go on a hunt for the old box of Chamomile tea we have lying around and have a cheeky sip of that before bed as well. Also going to take iced tea into the exam tomorrow, rather than water, as hopefully I'll be encouraged to drink more if it tastes nicer, and the little bit of sugar in it should help me out if I do start getting worked up or having a brain fart.

No idea what my partner is doing over the next few weeks. I hope he's coming down on Monday, but if not I'll go from my exam to the gym to burn off all the stress the last week has wound me up into. :lol: I'd loved to have kept running over exams, but it's been so damn hot that waiting for it to cool down has meant I'm shattered by the time evening comes around, and no longer have the energy to muster up for a jog. May go for one tonight if I'm not too tired, just to give me a good shot at a decent's night sleep.

A newt I found. Most likely Lissotriton vulgaris.

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 91
19/06/17

EXAMS ARE OVER!

CHEM5

I'm kind of sad that exams are over, in a strange way. This has been one heck of a journey. I've worked so hard to build up my confidence in subjects. I've managed to improve my understanding of Chemistry enough that I actually enjoy it now, and have gone from getting Es/Ds on past papers to As/A*s. I retook a whole year of Biology and Physics for a sake of 5 UMS! :laugh: And all it came down to was 4 days. I guess...I don't know. I guess it's just a bit sad that all they exam boards and unis will see is my performance on the day, rather than all the hard work I put in, but at least I can rest easy with the knowledge that I slaved away and did my best. That's as much as a peace of mind I'll get until results day, anyway.

Anywho. On to Chem 5. I couldn't have had a nicer exam to finish off the lot with! It was blisteringly hot in the exam room, but managed to stick out. Finished the whole paper in 40 mins, but spent the last hour going back over equations and double checking everything balanced, I had the correct formulas etc. Overall, I think I drapped maybe 6 marks? 94/100 has been around A*/full UMS in past papers so fingers crossed I've got myself a high A* to pull up any potential flops from last week's Chem 4. I quite enjoyed the paper - there was only one question I had a bit of trouble with (Cr2O72- reaction with OH-, which I kind of facepalmed over after I walked out because it suddenly came to me) but I think even that one I may get 1 mark as I could identify the colour change, if not the species responsible. Wasn't much in the way Period 3 elements or Born-Haber Cycles, or Catalysis, so it felt, but that might be because the paper just flowed really well and the questions covered several topics at once.

So yes, feeling pretty good about it! I hope it's enough to get me the A I need. :smile:

Signing Off

Well, I guess that's it for now. :h: There isn't much use for this blog until 17th August now. Next time I'll be writing in, I'll be post-op and (hopefully) checking in to say I'm off to vet school. Thank you to @Little Tail Chaser and @misstiah_h (good luck with your results!) for being regular followers. It's always nice to feel like you're writing to people rather than talking into the wind. :tongue:

I've just finished chugging the apple iced tea my step-mum brought back from Indonesia at Christmas, which I've been saving specifically for my last exam. Waiting for Sims 3 to install so I can start building houses and making animals for download, and just kick back and relax. Hopefully partner will be up for a visit tomorrow, so summer can really kick off. Looking forward to riding and working on sites and spending time with best friend and him over the next few months!

Until results day...

Original post by Scitty

Well, I guess that's it for now. :h: There isn't much use for this blog until 17th August now. Next time I'll be writing in, I'll be post-op and (hopefully) checking in to say I'm off to vet school. Thank you to @Little Tail Chaser and misstiah_h (good luck with your results!) for being regular followers. It's always nice to feel like you're writing to people rather than talking into the wind. :tongue:

D'aww, you're very welcome. Props to you for keeping up such an interesting (and I'm sure helpful to many others) blog!

I'm so pleased that your exams seem to have gone well for you, you truly deserve it :smile: Have a fantastic summer and I'm sure I will see you at AVS Sports Weekend or something later this year :wink:
Original post by Scitty
19/06/17

EXAMS ARE OVER!

CHEM5

I'm kind of sad that exams are over, in a strange way. This has been one heck of a journey. I've worked so hard to build up my confidence in subjects. I've managed to improve my understanding of Chemistry enough that I actually enjoy it now, and have gone from getting Es/Ds on past papers to As/A*s. I retook a whole year of Biology and Physics for a sake of 5 UMS! :laugh: And all it came down to was 4 days. I guess...I don't know. I guess it's just a bit sad that all they exam boards and unis will see is my performance on the day, rather than all the hard work I put in, but at least I can rest easy with the knowledge that I slaved away and did my best. That's as much as a peace of mind I'll get until results day, anyway.

Anywho. On to Chem 5. I couldn't have had a nicer exam to finish off the lot with! It was blisteringly hot in the exam room, but managed to stick out. Finished the whole paper in 40 mins, but spent the last hour going back over equations and double checking everything balanced, I had the correct formulas etc. Overall, I think I drapped maybe 6 marks? 94/100 has been around A*/full UMS in past papers so fingers crossed I've got myself a high A* to pull up any potential flops from last week's Chem 4. I quite enjoyed the paper - there was only one question I had a bit of trouble with (Cr2O72- reaction with OH-, which I kind of facepalmed over after I walked out because it suddenly came to me) but I think even that one I may get 1 mark as I could identify the colour change, if not the species responsible. Wasn't much in the way Period 3 elements or Born-Haber Cycles, or Catalysis, so it felt, but that might be because the paper just flowed really well and the questions covered several topics at once.

So yes, feeling pretty good about it! I hope it's enough to get me the A I need. :smile:

Signing Off

Well, I guess that's it for now. :h: There isn't much use for this blog until 17th August now. Next time I'll be writing in, I'll be post-op and (hopefully) checking in to say I'm off to vet school. Thank you to Little Tail Chaser and @misstiah_h (good luck with your results!) for being regular followers. It's always nice to feel like you're writing to people rather than talking into the wind. :tongue:

I've just finished chugging the apple iced tea my step-mum brought back from Indonesia at Christmas, which I've been saving specifically for my last exam. Waiting for Sims 3 to install so I can start building houses and making animals for download, and just kick back and relax. Hopefully partner will be up for a visit tomorrow, so summer can really kick off. Looking forward to riding and working on sites and spending time with best friend and him over the next few months!

Until results day...

How sweet! It's been such a pleasure reading your blog and I hope you have a great summer because you've earnt it. Best of luck for results day xx
Reply 94

Results day is here! Or rather, it was. It's been a hectic few days and so I'm a little late in updating this blog.

What have I been up to this summer? Well, to start with, trying to wind down from exams. I work myself up into a quite a state over exam season and it normally takes me a few weeks to get out of the mode of thinking of "ohmygod, study, study, study!". Once that was sorted, however, I spent a great deal of time enjoying the hot sunny days we had, including riding out and going swimming up on Dartmoor (twice; once with, and once without, a very excitable Springer puppy I borrowed for companionship). I also took some time to work on some personal things I've been putting off: the collaborative writing I do with a friend, and the site I keep to contain all the lore for our worldbuilding; working on getting fit; and, lastly and most recently, preparing for surgery.

Surgery was...an experience, to say the least. I'm lucky I managed to lose enough weight that the procedure went smooth as could be. I was on the borderline for a less invasive procedure but, due to time constraints and greater risk of complications should the technique not work out, I opted to stick with the original and be happy with shorter incisions necessary. I ended up opting into a research group as well, so that was fun! I had an A-Level student on work experience watch me go under the knife, so hopefully it was a good show for her. :laugh:

Recovery has had its ups and downs. I left the hospital with no easy transport and little in the way of instructions for dressings and such. Turns out that was because they didn't want me to do anything with dressings, not that they had forgotten, so what started out as a manic panic over the bandages (or rather, giant plasters) falling off ended up being a simple case of "keep replacing them until your stitches come out". Speaking of which, I still have to keep the dressings on until the 23rd, but after that I'm freeeee and can shower and sleep on my side again. Amen.

For now, however, it's a lot of bed rest and opiates. Morphine was, to say the least, an entertaining experience. :wink:

Results

My dad surprised me by showing up for results day at the same B&B my mum and I had moved into the night before. Considering I was under the impression he didn't even remember when it was, I was very grateful and a little tearful to say the least.

However, things...haven't really gone well.

Results Achieved:
*drumroll*

Spoiler

Not what I was aiming for. The good part? A in Biology, and the Physics paper I resat to obtain my B I ended up getting 88/90 UMS on so I'm thrilled with how I did there.

Chemistry is where it goes sour. Unfortunately, I just couldn't get the 91% marks needed on the two papers to make the UMS I needed for my A overall. I ended up being smack bang in between B and A. So although I had the grades I needed for Bristol, just in the wrong subjects, I lost both my Liverpool and Bristol offers. Gutted doesn't really cover it but, well, I've had my day of moping and crying, and while I feel a bit useless and angry and - dare I say it - bitter, I've been working hard to try and turn this around in my favour. I just can't say how it's going to go. Every plan I've tried to made has just...fallen apart in my hands, and while I'm used to having to pick up the tatters and make something new from them by now, it's beginning to get harder to pick myself up again each time, and this was a set back I could have done without.

Where To Now?

I have several options. None are more or less appealing than the other, honestly, as none are ideal. But I'm willing to bend over backwards to keep moving forward towards my dream, and I'm not giving up until I've exhausted every possible avenue.

#1: Liverpool's Changed Offer
Liverpool have given me an Unconditional Firm for Bioveterinary Science. I could take this, then apply to do graduate VetMed upon graduation, but that's especially expensive and honestly...I'm not thrilled. I know friends that have gone this route, and all have dropped out before graduating because they just didn't like the course, and the thought of the monetary problems for graduate route has ended up putting them off. I don't want to take a degree I may struggle to get a job in, in the hopes that I might be able to pay to do VetMed with it in the future.

#2: Slovakia - UVM Kosice
I still have a potential place at UVM Kosice to start this September. The problem? I need to have documents ready and fly out to sit the entrance exam on September 5th, barely 4 weeks post-op. The surgeon has given me the all clear to fly, as it's a flight under 3hrs, but it means trying to sit an exam on something I haven't revised for several months, while still in pain—then, if I do pass, coming home to pack and prepare to move to a foreign country for the next six years. My only concern is my health and energy—but if I can make it work, I will take the opportunity and run with it. :redface: I still love the look of Kosice, and if I can pass the exam and muster the money, it could be my chance!

#3: Reapply
I can't reapply to Liverpool, even post-grad. They've said that they won't accept a third application from me as two is their limit (I've only ever heard that three applications is the limit, but whatever), so that rules them out. That also rules out me being able to take a BTEC in Animal Management to supplement my A-Levels, as that is something I had considered doing.
As I will be over 21 when starting on a 2018 course, I could potentially apply for Gateway at Bristol. I would have the grades already, so it would be a chance for me to get a paid job and save some money for university, if they would consider me. Nottingham could also be an option, but it depends on whether they will take my extenuating circumstances of mental health into account and the fact that the parents I have lived with for 10+ years don't hold any qualifications above GCSE level (formally) - it's only my dad who hasn't really been involved in raising me that has attended university, out of my entire family (close and extended).
I've written to Bristol for advice on what I should do and after getting nowhere with the generic Admissions & Enquiries team I contacted the Vet Admissions directly, and they're going to look into things & discuss what my options are. I'm not expecting any good news for this year, but it may be they'll accept a Gateway reapplication for 2018.

#4 Do a science degree abroad
I don't want to study a generic science degree in the UK, as post-grad funding for VetMed is horrendous. But it may be that I can take a non-vet degree abroad, then apply to VetMed post-grad, and still be eligible for student loans due to it being my first degree in the UK. I'm unsure. At the moment I've contacted some universities in Republic of Ireland to see what might be available to me, as it may be that I'm still considered an EU applicant for the time being so eligible for cheaper rates. If it ended up being possible, I'd like to take a Genetics degree, as that's what I was hoping to intercalate with should I have been accepted into the UK. It's a longer way around it, but it'll get me where I want nonetheless.

Signing Off

So there we go. At the end of the day, I didn't achieve what I set out to, and I am disappointed. But, I don't regret doing GYG 2017 and I hope if nothing else, my journey can serve as a reminder to people that things won't always go your way, no matter how much work you put in. A Levels are tricky, and I'm willing to admit that I'm clearly just not good at exams any more. :redface: And that's okay. It's not for everyone. A part of me has questioned if university is really for me, if I'm apparently so terrible at tests, but I'm not willing to give up until proved wrong from every angle.

Thank you to everyone who has been with me this year, either posting along or as a silent reader. I'm sorry it's not a more happy ending, but I hope that if there are any future GCSE or A2 students who come across this thread they take it as a reminder to look after your mental health, support themselves, and most importantly -- DO NOT GIVE UP.

Every time you fall down, pick yourself up. It's not over until you chose it to be.

Original post by Scitty

Results day is here! Or rather, it was. It's been a hectic few days and so I'm a little late in updating this blog.

What have I been up to this summer? Well, to start with, trying to wind down from exams. I work myself up into a quite a state over exam season and it normally takes me a few weeks to get out of the mode of thinking of "ohmygod, study, study, study!". Once that was sorted, however, I spent a great deal of time enjoying the hot sunny days we had, including riding out and going swimming up on Dartmoor (twice; once with, and once without, a very excitable Springer puppy I borrowed for companionship). I also took some time to work on some personal things I've been putting off: the collaborative writing I do with a friend, and the site I keep to contain all the lore for our worldbuilding; working on getting fit; and, lastly and most recently, preparing for surgery.

Surgery was...an experience, to say the least. I'm lucky I managed to lose enough weight that the procedure went smooth as could be. I was on the borderline for a less invasive procedure but, due to time constraints and greater risk of complications should the technique not work out, I opted to stick with the original and be happy with shorter incisions necessary. I ended up opting into a research group as well, so that was fun! I had an A-Level student on work experience watch me go under the knife, so hopefully it was a good show for her. :laugh:

Recovery has had its ups and downs. I left the hospital with no easy transport and little in the way of instructions for dressings and such. Turns out that was because they didn't want me to do anything with dressings, not that they had forgotten, so what started out as a manic panic over the bandages (or rather, giant plasters) falling off ended up being a simple case of "keep replacing them until your stitches come out". Speaking of which, I still have to keep the dressings on until the 23rd, but after that I'm freeeee and can shower and sleep on my side again. Amen.

For now, however, it's a lot of bed rest and opiates. Morphine was, to say the least, an entertaining experience. :wink:

Results

My dad surprised me by showing up for results day at the same B&B my mum and I had moved into the night before. Considering I was under the impression he didn't even remember when it was, I was very grateful and a little tearful to say the least.

However, things...haven't really gone well.

Results Achieved:
*drumroll*

Spoiler

Not what I was aiming for. The good part? A in Biology, and the Physics paper I resat to obtain my B I ended up getting 88/90 UMS on so I'm thrilled with how I did there.

Chemistry is where it goes sour. Unfortunately, I just couldn't get the 91% marks needed on the two papers to make the UMS I needed for my A overall. I ended up being smack bang in between B and A. So although I had the grades I needed for Bristol, just in the wrong subjects, I lost both my Liverpool and Bristol offers. Gutted doesn't really cover it but, well, I've had my day of moping and crying, and while I feel a bit useless and angry and - dare I say it - bitter, I've been working hard to try and turn this around in my favour. I just can't say how it's going to go. Every plan I've tried to made has just...fallen apart in my hands, and while I'm used to having to pick up the tatters and make something new from them by now, it's beginning to get harder to pick myself up again each time, and this was a set back I could have done without.

Where To Now?

I have several options. None are more or less appealing than the other, honestly, as none are ideal. But I'm willing to bend over backwards to keep moving forward towards my dream, and I'm not giving up until I've exhausted every possible avenue.

#1: Liverpool's Changed Offer
Liverpool have given me an Unconditional Firm for Bioveterinary Science. I could take this, then apply to do graduate VetMed upon graduation, but that's especially expensive and honestly...I'm not thrilled. I know friends that have gone this route, and all have dropped out before graduating because they just didn't like the course, and the thought of the monetary problems for graduate route has ended up putting them off. I don't want to take a degree I may struggle to get a job in, in the hopes that I might be able to pay to do VetMed with it in the future.

#2: Slovakia - UVM Kosice
I still have a potential place at UVM Kosice to start this September. The problem? I need to have documents ready and fly out to sit the entrance exam on September 5th, barely 4 weeks post-op. The surgeon has given me the all clear to fly, as it's a flight under 3hrs, but it means trying to sit an exam on something I haven't revised for several months, while still in pain—then, if I do pass, coming home to pack and prepare to move to a foreign country for the next six years. My only concern is my health and energy—but if I can make it work, I will take the opportunity and run with it. :redface: I still love the look of Kosice, and if I can pass the exam and muster the money, it could be my chance!

#3: Reapply
I can't reapply to Liverpool, even post-grad. They've said that they won't accept a third application from me as two is their limit (I've only ever heard that three applications is the limit, but whatever), so that rules them out. That also rules out me being able to take a BTEC in Animal Management to supplement my A-Levels, as that is something I had considered doing.
As I will be over 21 when starting on a 2018 course, I could potentially apply for Gateway at Bristol. I would have the grades already, so it would be a chance for me to get a paid job and save some money for university, if they would consider me. Nottingham could also be an option, but it depends on whether they will take my extenuating circumstances of mental health into account and the fact that the parents I have lived with for 10+ years don't hold any qualifications above GCSE level (formally) - it's only my dad who hasn't really been involved in raising me that has attended university, out of my entire family (close and extended).
I've written to Bristol for advice on what I should do and after getting nowhere with the generic Admissions & Enquiries team I contacted the Vet Admissions directly, and they're going to look into things & discuss what my options are. I'm not expecting any good news for this year, but it may be they'll accept a Gateway reapplication for 2018.

#4 Do a science degree abroad
I don't want to study a generic science degree in the UK, as post-grad funding for VetMed is horrendous. But it may be that I can take a non-vet degree abroad, then apply to VetMed post-grad, and still be eligible for student loans due to it being my first degree in the UK. I'm unsure. At the moment I've contacted some universities in Republic of Ireland to see what might be available to me, as it may be that I'm still considered an EU applicant for the time being so eligible for cheaper rates. If it ended up being possible, I'd like to take a Genetics degree, as that's what I was hoping to intercalate with should I have been accepted into the UK. It's a longer way around it, but it'll get me where I want nonetheless.

Signing Off

So there we go. At the end of the day, I didn't achieve what I set out to, and I am disappointed. But, I don't regret doing GYG 2017 and I hope if nothing else, my journey can serve as a reminder to people that things won't always go your way, no matter how much work you put in. A Levels are tricky, and I'm willing to admit that I'm clearly just not good at exams any more. :redface: And that's okay. It's not for everyone. A part of me has questioned if university is really for me, if I'm apparently so terrible at tests, but I'm not willing to give up until proved wrong from every angle.

Thank you to everyone who has been with me this year, either posting along or as a silent reader. I'm sorry it's not a more happy ending, but I hope that if there are any future GCSE or A2 students who come across this thread they take it as a reminder to look after your mental health, support themselves, and most importantly -- DO NOT GIVE UP.

Every time you fall down, pick yourself up. It's not over until you chose it to be.

Oh, I'm so sorry. I know how you feel; I received an A*AA offer from UCL to study medicine and got A*A*B and was rejected. The B was in maths, with chem and bio being the A* subjects. I hope things look up for you - best of luck.
Reply 96
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Oh, I'm so sorry. I know how you feel; I received an A*AA offer from UCL to study medicine and got A*A*B and was rejected. The B was in maths, with chem and bio being the A* subjects. I hope things look up for you - best of luck.

Oh man I'm so sorry :frown: How anal of them. Those are amazing results though, holy crap.

Did you get in elsewhere? If not, what are your plans?
Original post by Scitty
Oh man I'm so sorry :frown: How anal of them. Those are amazing results though, holy crap.

Did you get in elsewhere? If not, what are your plans?

Currently about to attend an interview for Sheffield, but otherwise, idk - I'd have like 4 Unis to choose from in my gap year, because many of them hate retakes, so I'd guess I may just have to study something else :/
Reply 98
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Currently about to attend an interview for Sheffield, but otherwise, idk - I'd have like 4 Unis to choose from in my gap year, because many of them hate retakes, so I'd guess I may just have to study something else :/

Yea, a lot of vet schools won't look at me because of my retakes, or because I'm a return applicant. I'll keep everything crossed in the hope you do well at interview though! A gap year isn't so bad, and you can only apply for 4 medicine places anyway, just depends on whether those few unis are ones you'd actually want to attend, I guess.

I wish in a sense unis worked off of UCAS points for medicine etc. You're clearly an able candidate, those results are fantastic. :smile:
Original post by Scitty
Yea, a lot of vet schools won't look at me because of my retakes, or because I'm a return applicant. I'll keep everything crossed in the hope you do well at interview though! A gap year isn't so bad, and you can only apply for 4 medicine places anyway, just depends on whether those few unis are ones you'd actually want to attend, I guess.

I wish in a sense unis worked off of UCAS points for medicine etc. You're clearly an able candidate, those results are fantastic. :smile:

Yeah, it's actually quite awful how competitive it is here; it's so much more than any other country in Europe. I've known people to go study medicine in Spain or Czech Republic with BBC for example, where as here, people with 3A* end up not making it. Problem mainly is down to their admissions criteria, some of them require a high UKCAT too, so it may be a waste of a choice. I hear chemistry isn't even used much in these subjects, and is only used as an applicant thinner - UK Med courses for you 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending