The Student Room Group

Don't have A levels? Alternative Routes into University FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Thanks for your help.
Hey, sorry I'm sure similar questions have been asked before but after trawling through various College and University pages I'm just not sure how to proceed. Will be going to Open Days and events at colleges in due course.

Basically I dropped out half way through first year of University when I was 18, and have been working in retail ever since. I'm 25 now. I have A levels in Maths (B), Geology (C) and Chemistry (D)

I just wanted to know what my options would be for getting back into education? If I wanted to go to Uni I'd need to do an access course, right? I've belatedly matured and realised I need to up-skill myself. Looking to get into some form of Engineering but I'm still in the early stages of getting a clear focus on where I want to be.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Original post by scriggy
Hey, sorry I'm sure similar questions have been asked before but after trawling through various College and University pages I'm just not sure how to proceed. Will be going to Open Days and events at colleges in due course.

Basically I dropped out half way through first year of University when I was 18, and have been working in retail ever since. I'm 25 now. I have A levels in Maths (B), Geology (C) and Chemistry (D)

I just wanted to know what my options would be for getting back into education? If I wanted to go to Uni I'd need to do an access course, right? I've belatedly matured and realised I need to up-skill myself. Looking to get into some form of Engineering but I'm still in the early stages of getting a clear focus on where I want to be.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Pretty straightforward you just apply to o to uni like the first time. They give you offers and you accept a firm and an insurance.

If you want to try and get better offers then you can consider degrees with a combined foundation year. Some unis may ask you to do this considering the age of your A levels, some may not have an issue. It is a chance to learn the core skills they think you need for the course.

You dont have to do an Access course.

Start researching Engineering and see what A levels they require plus what grades. You may then decide that:

1. New A level
2. Access course
3. Foundation year

Are all ways to move onto your chosen degree. Do the research.
Reply 83
I'm 21 years old and all I have is GCSEs. I've worked in retail and telesales over the past few years. Really not going anywhere, have been feeling depressed about how little achieved over the last 5 years.

Ideally I want to get into Computer Science.

Although I classify as a mature learner, I dont feel optimistic that they will see my past experience as a good substitute for A-Levels (i.e. doing **** all).

Taking that to account and that I will be apply late, should I apply or would it be a waste of time?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 84
Birkbeck university is definitely worth a look. You don't need traditional qualifications to get in and it seems to be a decent uni. Plus the classes are held in the evening, so if you want to pursue a career during the day you're free to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why not, go to college and do one those Access to HE schemes (they cost like £2400 BUT i dont think you have to pay if you get into Uni) Unis apparently see that as an A-Level equivalent and I dont think you need anything special in your GCSEs (i think grade C) but even then im fairly sure the college will let you do them again on top of the HE course.

They are one year i think

(Although I havent done one of these, this lady at my university told me about what she did and she said they are really good) Plus this method will allow you to apply to almost all universities.

Check it out if they do it at a college where you live.
Reply 86
An Access course is a good bet (I just did one :biggrin:)

Sure an extra year spent studying might seem daunting, but you'll be older than most of the students anyway and you'll soon find it doesn't make too much of a difference.
Original post by mojos
I'm 21 years old and all I have is GCSEs. I've worked in retail and telesales over the past few years. Really not going anywhere, have been feeling depressed about how little achieved over the last 5 years.

Although I classify as a mature learner, I dont feel optimistic that they will see my past experience as a good substitute for A-Levels (i.e. doing **** all).

Taking that to account and that I will be apply late, should I apply or would it be a waste of time?

You'll need some kind of level 3 qualification(post-16 so that means A-levels or equivalent).

The easiest option is to do an Access to HE course as others have said(A-level courses offered for over 19's are quite rare), I'm just finishing the first year of CS having done Access the year before.You'll also likely need a C in GCSE English and a C or B in GCSE Maths, admissions depts can be pretty religious about this even with the Access qualification. The loan for the course is also written off as long as you finish your degree.

There's specific computing courses at some colleges but uni's will often accept a generic science course as well, I did the former but the latter are more widely available.

You can search for courses by subject here:

https://ava.accesstohe.ac.uk/SubSites/PublicSearch/search.aspx
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 88
Any university that is willing to take you with your current qualifications is likely accepting you purely based on financial reasons rather than because they believe you are an ideal candidate.

There's no reason to imagine you can go from GCSE to degree with nothing in between. Additionally, telesales and retail experience provide you with zero benefit when it comes to studying computer science. You need to familiarise yourself with studying at a higher level than GCSE to prepare yourself for studying at degree level.

As mentioned, an Access course is likely your best option. That will open up far more doors to you than just applying to anywhere you feel may accept you currently.
Original post by mojos

University of Liverpool do a computer science degree with a foundation year along with other science and engineering courses. They are quite flexible on entry requirements for mature students. If you pass the foundation year you get a guaranteed place on the main course. The foundation year is ran at Carmel College which is a brilliant 6th form college but you are still classed as a full university student. As it's a part of your degree you would be funded by student loan company for tuition fees and maintenance loan assuming your eligible.

It's very late for applying for 2017 entry but there is no harm in calling and giving them a try but to maximize your chances you should be considering for September 2018 entry. That will give you more time to research available courses and make sure you choose the right uni for you rather than the first one that says yes.
Reply 90
With no A-Levels or prior preparation, I would leave it for this year. You're only 21, plenty of time!

There's plenty of options. The quickest way would be an Access course or a one year foundation degree.

Alternatively if you wanted A-Levels, but would take longer, I know places do do night classes. My friend is studying for Maths A-Level while working full time, he's in his early 30s
Reply 91
I dropped out of my A Levels at the start of my second year due to some things happening in my personal life. Recently I've decided I would like to apply for uni, however I'm unsure of whether I'd need to find a way to complete my a levels which I'd have to pay for as I'm turning 19, or if I could apply for foundation courses with my GCSE's. Any guidance would be extremely helpful!!!
Original post by rnd07
I dropped out of my A Levels at the start of my second year due to some things happening in my personal life. Recently I've decided I would like to apply for uni, however I'm unsure of whether I'd need to find a way to complete my a levels which I'd have to pay for as I'm turning 19, or if I could apply for foundation courses with my GCSE's. Any guidance would be extremely helpful!!!

My understanding is foundation courses require A levels or level 3 equivalent. Do some research and check admission. the A levels required will be lower.

Your options are A levels at college or distance learning or as a private candidate.

Access course

Paid for with advanced learner loan They would let you get onto the course direct or if needed the course with a foundation year.
You can always apply but since the majority of university courses have entry requirements you may find yourself rejected from them, If you're turning 19 soon however I would say you should try for an Access to HE course. They're the equivalent of a typical level 3 course but condensed into one year with the goal of giving mature students (19+) a 'fast-track' for uni, It's what I did and I found it was better in many ways than A-levels or other level 3 courses.
Original post by Snufkin

Alternative Routes into University

This is a list of the various alternative routes into university for people hwho, for whatever reason, didn't do or couldn't do A levels. If you have any questions which are not covered in the FAQs, post them below! Open the Spoilers to see a list of FAQs.

Access to Higher Education (HE) Diploma

Access to HE Diplomas (also known as Access courses) are designed to prepare people without traditional qualifications for university. Access courses are the best established and most common route into university for mature students and students without A levels. Each year more than 20,000 people apply to university after doing an Access course. There is a large community of Access students in the Mature Students forum.

Spoiler

Foundation Year

A foundation year is an extra year of study at the start of a university course. It enables students who do not meet the course entry requirements to fill the gaps in their knowledge. If you pass the foundation year, you automatically move into the first year of your chosen degree.

Please note, foundation years are not the same as international foundation years (these are courses for international students who want to study in the UK but either don't have the right qualifications or need to improve their English language skills before starting a degree).

Spoiler

Distance learning A-levels

If you want to do A levels but can't attend school or college consider studying them at home. You can either use a distance-learning provider or study them independently. This is a good option if you don’t know what degree you want to do. Doing A levels in different subjects is a great way to keep your options open. Remember to download past papers from the relevant exam board websites, and make use of the Study Help forums and A level study help page.

Spoiler

OpenPlus

OpenPlus is a partnership between The Open University (OU) and other leading universities to create a more affordable and flexible route into a science degree. If you decide to do OpenPlus, remember to visit the Open University forum to talk to other OU students and discuss specific modules.

Spoiler

Birkbeck, University of London

Birkbeck College offers a number of Certificates of Higher Education (CertHE) which can be used to apply for or transfer into degree courses at other universities.

Spoiler

Foundation Degree

Foundation degrees are higher education qualifications which combine work-based learning with academic study. They are developed with employers and usually focus on a particular career (e.g. Primary Teaching). Foundation degrees are a qualification in their own right, but they're also the equivalent of the first two years of an undergraduate degree. After you've finished your foundation degree you can 'top it up' into a bachelor's degree.

Spoiler

I am wondering if access to nursing courses have any exams??
Original post by LiamHolt
You can always apply but since the majority of university courses have entry requirements you may find yourself rejected from them, If you're turning 19 soon however I would say you should try for an Access to HE course. They're the equivalent of a typical level 3 course but condensed into one year with the goal of giving mature students (19+) a 'fast-track' for uni, It's what I did and I found it was better in many ways than A-levels or other level 3 courses.

Do access courses have any exams?

I wondering about the access to nursing course
Original post by Blackstarr
Do access courses have any exams?

I wondering about the access to nursing course

Generally, yes, but it depends on the college. You should be able to find out by emailing them. Remember that you will have to do exams at university, so don't be put off by having to do them for Access. It's good practice.
Original post by Schadenfreude65
Generally, yes, but it depends on the college. You should be able to find out by emailing them. Remember that you will have to do exams at university, so don't be put off by having to do them for Access. It's good practice.

Okay.

Do you happen to know if any access to nursing courses have exams within their specifications?
Original post by Blackstarr
Okay.

Do you happen to know if any access to nursing courses have exams within their specifications?

At the college I went to, there were certainly exams in the nursing pathway (I did Engineering, but there was some overlap with nursing). I don't know how other colleges operate, but I'd be surprised if you can find any that are exam-free. I suggest that you email your local colleges and ask them.
Original post by Schadenfreude65
At the college I went to, there were certainly exams in the nursing pathway (I did Engineering, but there was some overlap with nursing). I don't know how other colleges operate, but I'd be surprised if you can find any that are exam-free. I suggest that you email your local colleges and ask them.

Okay.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending