The Student Room Group

OFFICIAL OCR A Biology A level Exam Thread- 12th, 20th and 26th JUNE 2017

This is the official OCR A level Biology thread for the Year 13's doing the A level this year.

Biological Processes (Modules-1,2,3,5)- June 12th
Biological Diversity (Modules-1,2,4,6)- June 20th
Unified Biology (Modules-1,2,3,4,5,6)- June 26th

I hope you have all been revising hard, Don't forget the AS topics!!

Scroll to see replies

If anyone has any good revision sources, please share! :smile:
I genuinely want to cry I am struggling so much this year and last year. I've been averaging 50% for all papers and no matter how much work I do I just can't get it to come across in the exams. I know the stuff but I just don't understand the questions.

I made a huge booklet (over 130 pages) of all the topics using the points on the spec for everything I need to know, but it is too big to upload. I have broken it up into smaller parts too but it is still too big
Does anyone have any predictions as to what is coming up on Monday?
Original post by cream_pie

We can't really predict because it is the first paper of this spec. The only things we can is the modules that they say are coming up on the spec.
Does anyone have a step-by-step process for how to do a serial dilution?
Reply 6
Original post by DrawTheLine
Does anyone have a step-by-step process for how to do a serial dilution?

Yeah,
1. Using a pipette, extract 10cm3 of solution into a test tube.
2. Then take 1cm3 from the the test tube and add 9cm3 water.
3. (using bung) Invert and shake several times, and then extract 1cm3 of solution and add to another test tube.
4. add 9cm3 water and repeat process 3 and 4 until desired amount is obtained.
Arjun

Original post by DrawTheLine
We can't really predict because it is the first paper of this spec. The only things we can is the modules that they say are coming up on the spec.

I think the Heart is definitely gonna come up it wasn't really in any of the AS papers last year and this year. The only thing that came up on it was an MCQ in the Breadth paper last year
Original post by TheAlphaParticle
I think the Heart is definitely gonna come up it wasn't really in any of the AS papers last year and this year. The only thing that came up on it was an MCQ in the Breadth paper last year

Wansnt there a 6 marker on single and double circulatory systems last year?
Reply 9

That was a real mindfudge Imo, I wrote everything I knew about circulation in the hope that I at least got 4/6 lool XD
Arjun

I meant more structure of the heart, cardiac cycle and ECG's etc...
I meant more structure of the heart, cardiac cycle and ECG's etc...

Ah fair play, yeah i can see that coming up, especially the cardiac cycle
I think muscles will come up as maybe 6/8 marker in the first paper or the unified paper
more predicitions?? lol i just revised all of the plants mod 5. what are the 3 pulling forces that cause movement of water up stream (6m)
How much detail do we need to know the ornithine cycle in?
Original post by GenuineHpLaptop
more predicitions?? lol i just revised all of the plants mod 5. what are the 3 pulling forces that cause movement of water up stream (6m)

Is it cohesion, adhesion and tension? the adhesion and cohesion work together to exhibit capillary action
Is it cohesion, adhesion and tension? the adhesion and cohesion work together to exhibit capillary action

pretty close

its a)transpiration pull continuous column of water (cohesion &adhesion)
b) root pressure with the osmosis of water after the medulla is concentrated with minerals with the introduction of the casparian strip.
c) capillary action

well thats what the book says atleast (ocr a bio p217)
correct me if im wrong
Original post by FrankJones22

I'd just say amino acids get deaminated then the ammonia enters the orthinine cycle where it is joined with co2 to form Urea. I think the rest is pretty useless and not relevant
Original post by FrankJones22

The textbook that I used mentioned citrulline and arginine too, so you may want to consider learning that.
Ornithine is converted into citrulline by adding ammonia, carbon dioxide and removing water.
Citrulline converted into Arginine by adding ammonia and removing water.
Arginine converted back into ornithine by adding water; removing urea as a by-product.
we only need to remember basically the picture of the ornithine cycle in the book that is pretty much it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending