The Student Room Group

I think I've failed maths :(

I have sat 2 papers so far for edexcel higher maths and I have found both papers really challenging. I think I've got less than 30 marks in each paper so far. My target grade is a grade 5 which I know I'm capable of as I've worked really hard but the new system is a load of *******s in my opinion. Can I still get a grade 5 if I do well in paper 3? Say if I get 45 ish marks?

Please tell me that I'm not the only grade 5 student that's struggling with the higher papers....

Scroll to see replies

Your not the only one.
YOU'RE NOT THE ONLY ONE
feel better now?
good
truss me dude i think i've failed maths aswell
but you just need to focus on the rest of your exams and do the best
and then hope for the best :smile:
im sure you did fine lol
I have scored less than 20 I know it, am just a negative piece of energy when it comes to maths.
If you can get 45 in the next one, then you should average to a 5 :smile: good luck; study hard, and don't panic during the exam.
Original post by jt1212
I have sat 2 papers so far for edexcel higher maths and I have found both papers really challenging. I think I've got less than 30 marks in each paper so far. My target grade is a grade 5 which I know I'm capable of as I've worked really hard but the new system is a load of *******s in my opinion. Can I still get a grade 5 if I do well in paper 3? Say if I get 45 ish marks?

Please tell me that I'm not the only grade 5 student that's struggling with the higher papers....

My advice is that you should study for the third paper. It'll make up for your challenged papers. I did the old spec, and did pants in the first but studied hard for the second one. I got a very high mark for Paper 2. Just want to know, did you answer every single question?
Am a grade 5/6 struggling. Fml.
Reply 7
Original post by Digisirran
My advice is that you should study for the third paper. It'll make up for your challenged papers. I did the old spec, and did pants in the first but studied hard for the second one. I got a very high mark for Paper 2. Just want to know, did you answer every single question?

Nope I didn't there answer everything across the 2 papers especially the last 4/5 questions on each paper as I didn't understand what it was as they were like grade 8/9 questions which are way out of my capability
If you are doing GCSE'S I can't really help you as my year when I did my exams was the last before they changed stuff I guess. Like that stupid number system and now you have to remember lots more stuff. If the content is the same as before in past papers then you should be fine. If you got the basics down then just do lots of past papers and you will notice a gradual improvement. Once you get to a good grade carry on and try to become even better. I am doing A-level maths right now and I find doing 3 or 4 papers a few days before the exam takes place makes me more confident as they are not as difficult as I think. Do this but that does not mean don't revise beforehand. Preparation is very important. By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail. I think that is a quote, can't remember by who but hey good luck.

If you have a year or so before you actually take these exams then don't worry about grades atm just practice and get better.:biggrin:
I want to get a Grade 6 to do A - Level maths and Physics but I'm in the same position as you. My application to sixth form is practically ruined because of this so I'll have to change 2 of my 3 subjects. Only thing I can count on is everyone else doing badly (which is a horrible thing to say :frown:). Then again, I'm looking at TSR and seeing people being like "I only got 60/80 marks, I wanted to get 70, my life is ruined bla bla bla" etc...
Ffs I failed the old system TWICE!!!
Reply 11
Original post by TheAlchemistress
Am a grade 5/6 struggling. Fml.

I wish I would have done foundation instead but I know I had the capability in doing higher but my teacher entered me for higher and I said to him about 3 weeks before the exams that I wanted to do foundation but he said no. He says that it will be much easier to pass as the pass mark is significantly lower for higher tier
Original post by jt1212
Nope I didn't there answer everything across the 2 papers especially the last 4/5 questions on each paper as I didn't understand what it was as they were like grade 8/9 questions which are way out of my capability

Just do your best, pal. Relax and do what you can. There's always a next time, and you could always practice the hard ones and perhaps ask your teacher/tutor to help you during lessons. My college provided "workshops", which I attended each single one for the legacy GCSE Maths.

Original post by emerald7770
Ffs I failed the old system TWICE!!!

Five times here. Don't make it sound like twice is bad. :wink:
(edited 6 years ago)
same, i'm normally a 6 but ive been revising loads to get a 7 in the real thing, but feel like i did worse in those ones than mocks/ other papers
Reply 14
Original post by 152mmOfDerp
I want to get a Grade 6 to do A - Level maths and Physics but I'm in the same position as you. My application to sixth form is practically ruined because of this so I'll have to change 2 of my 3 subjects. Only thing I can count on is everyone else doing badly (which is a horrible thing to say :frown:). Then again, I'm looking at TSR and seeing people being like "I only got 60/80 marks, I wanted to get 70, my life is ruined bla bla bla" etc...

I totally get you I just want to pass!!!! There's too many *****y people on here that complain when they claim that they have got 70/80 in a paper and say that I messed up so bad
Original post by Digisirran
Just do your best, pal. Relax and do what you can. There's always a next time, and you could always practice the hard ones and perhaps ask your teacher/tutor to help you during lessons. My college provided "workshops", which I attended each single one for the legacy GCSE Maths.

Five times here. Don't make it sound like twice is bad. :wink:

Holy crap, 5 times?!!! I'm defo going to be in your situation
Original post by jt1212
I totally get you I just want to pass!!!! There's too many *****y people on here that complain when they claim that they have got 70/80 in a paper and say that I messed up so bad

Welcome to the TSR community!

Just gonna say A-level Physics is extremely difficult, take it from my friends. (I don't do it, thank goodness.) Most people drop it or make changes. If you really like physics then go for it but don't do it for other people or just to get a high paying job as you might not be happy.

Exactly you go on twitter and people say they found it hard. Then you come on TSR and you see people scrapping 50-70 marks, and am like 😰.
Original post by emerald7770
Holy crap, 5 times?!!! I'm defo going to be in your situation

No you will NOT. Fifth try was a success! I got a C eventually! Truth is I never gave up, so you shouldn't either. Trust me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending