The Student Room Group

Whats the meaning of life?

Feel like im asking a bit of a stupid question but its fine..
Basically im a 16 year old girl, homeschooled blah blah blah and i find myself wondering sometimes , like about life?
What is the point in it all? Is it like some kind of massive test? Its got to the point where im constantly trying to figure it out.
Like we are born, we study for 16-25 years of our lives if not more, to get a job, marry , have kids and be happy for a while just to die and be forgotten.
Some people dont even get that luxury, like kids that die young. A couple of my friends have passed at a young age and i dont understand it. People say that everything happens for a reason? Do you agree with this.
Sorry, its a bit jumbled but im confused and this is literally everything that goes through my mind 24/7??
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

The meaning of life is different for everyone. It is more of an opinion than fact. The meaning of life is what you want it to be.
capitalism
Original post by Adnan762
I've always believed that the point of life is to make the best of our existence. We do that by acknowledging that there are 7 billion of us here and we need to show love & compassion towards one another to make it work.

The fact that this doesn't always happen is why our world is bitterly divided.

I like to think that everything happens for a reason. I also like to believe that God is up there and things will make sense in the end.

Maybe like a plan for when we die?
From a young age , i was always taught to love everyone equally and that it is important to spread love and forgive those who do us wrong, but theres so much hate in the world that i just dont know anymore. If God is up there, he has a strange way of for-filling his/her plans.
Original post by Adnan762
Indeed there are many questions that we want answers to but what I do believe is that we will get those in due course.
For now it's best to set an example of how we think this world should be.

Thank you, i'm just going to try live my life and be as helpful as i can i think
Reply 5
There isn't one. You can do whatever you want and everything will end the same way.
Reply 6
Original post by YesItsMe56563
No you are fine to ask it, those that don't are a bit stupid!

While @ Uni I started to consider the purpose of my life, and realised I didn't have one that satisfied me, "the world was my oyster", but there was no pearl !

I did the student thing, stayed up late having "deep" conversations but it all seemed just words. The few people that got serious about politics of their philosophy didn't seem particularly happy, in fact they were either angry or irrelevant. So, when some "nice"people who obviously believed in the bible spoke to me I decided to investigate properly. I started going to various church meetings and was told to pray a “sinners prayer”, believing, and as such I was "a Christian". For the next 18 months I continued going to meetings and reading books by people considered to be "Christian leaders" to try and work out God's will for me, without success! All I got was opinions.
Then I met people who were not going to different churches and reading lots of books about God, they had a confidence and contentment I had not attained to, despite my efforts. I realised my relationship with God was mostly one-way, from me, not the daily, growing 2-way relationship they seemed to have.

They had received the Holy Spirit and spoke in tongues (an unlearned prayer language that God leads his people in as only he knows his perfect will for us, it allows him to minister his grace & love to our hearts). They also had other direct input and leading from God. After a while I realised I was getting nowhere spiritually so for the first time I actually prayed expecting God to *do* something... namely give me the same as them or whatever else I needed.
One evening I was alone in my room, not doubting or fearing, just believing God had said yes to me (because he could have no favourites), and wanting nothing more, I prayed and spoke in tongues and in the days that followed I realised I had the Life spoken of in the bible, whereas before I was trying to be something I was not! I used to worry and get bored, now I see God opening my understanding about why things are the way they are, and more importantly, what life can be like.

I left the old churches because I could see they was as I was before, not as I wanted to be. The church I'm now in is like the one in the new testament, all members have the new Life, we have a unity I never found before. I now have contentment and fulfilling purpose that only the living God can give. I am now able to know God's thoughts and live according to His nature because I have His heart and mind through the Holy Spirit in me, so long as I'm disciplined to look at things God's way . . . that's the "good fight".

I know that God has no favourites, what he has done for one, he will do for another.
Original post by NJA
No you are fine to ask it, those that don't are a bit stupid!

While @ Uni I started to consider the purpose of my life, and realised I didn't have one that satisfied me, "the world was my oyster", but there was no pearl !

I did the student thing, stayed up late having "deep" conversations but it all seemed just words. The few people that got serious about politics of their philosophy didn't seem particularly happy, in fact they were either angry or irrelevant. So, when some "nice"people who obviously believed in the bible spoke to me I decided to investigate properly. I started going to various church meetings and was told to pray a “sinners prayer”, believing, and as such I was "a Christian". For the next 18 months I continued going to meetings and reading books by people considered to be "Christian leaders" to try and work out God's will for me, without success! All I got was opinions.
Then I met people who were not going to different churches and reading lots of books about God, they had a confidence and contentment I had not attained to, despite my efforts. I realised my relationship with God was mostly one-way, from me, not the daily, growing 2-way relationship they seemed to have.

They had received the Holy Spirit and spoke in tongues (an unlearned prayer language that God leads his people in as only he knows his perfect will for us, it allows him to minister his grace & love to our hearts). They also had other direct input and leading from God. After a while I realised I was getting nowhere spiritually so for the first time I actually prayed expecting God to *do* something... namely give me the same as them or whatever else I needed.
One evening I was alone in my room, not doubting or fearing, just believing God had said yes to me (because he could have no favourites), and wanting nothing more, I prayed and spoke in tongues and in the days that followed I realised I had the Life spoken of in the bible, whereas before I was trying to be something I was not! I used to worry and get bored, now I see God opening my understanding about why things are the way they are, and more importantly, what life can be like.

I left the old churches because I could see they was as I was before, not as I wanted to be. The church I'm now in is like the one in the new testament, all members have the new Life, we have a unity I never found before. I now have contentment and fulfilling purpose that only the living God can give. I am now able to know God's thoughts and live according to His nature because I have His heart and mind through the Holy Spirit in me, so long as I'm disciplined to look at things God's way . . . that's the "good fight".

I know that God has no favourites, what he has done for one, he will do for another.

How is it that you found your purpose , i would love to find God. At the moment, i find life to be an obstacle. Everyday is just something i want to get over and done with.
How is it that you found your purpose , i would love to find God. At the moment, i find life to be an obstacle. Everyday is just something i want to get over and done with.

The meaning of life is life. If you want a purpose, it's for you to chose one. Just interacting with others can be extremely rewarding.

If you find any evidence of a god, please post it. Not believing in a god actually make life more worth living to the full IMO.
Reply 9

My purpose is to receive the daily inspiration God gives and to use what he's given me in my interaction with others.
God isn't hiding, mankind is just like Adam & Eve hid in the bushes people have all their other priorities ("gods") and reasonings/excuses.

If you have seen through yours just whole-hearedly call on The Lord for his promise - to receive His Spirit, if you ereally want nothing more your tongue will change ("speaking in tongues" - that's the initial sign, let it flow)

"whosoever drinks of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life" (John 4:14)
To seize the means of production
Original post by NJA
My purpose is to receive the daily inspiration God gives and to use what he's given me in my interaction with others.
God isn't hiding, mankind is just like Adam & Eve hid in the bushes people have all their other priorities ("gods":wink: and reasonings/excuses.

If you have seen through yours just whole-hearedly call on The Lord for his promise - to receive His Spirit, if you ereally want nothing more your tongue will change ("speaking in tongues" - that's the initial sign, let it flow)

"whosoever drinks of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life" (John 4:14)

Thank you x
Basically im a 16 year old girl, homeschooled blah blah blah and i find myself wondering sometimes , like about life?
What is the point in it all? Is it like some kind of massive test? Its got to the point where im constantly trying to figure it out.
Like we are born, we study for 16-25 years of our lives if not more, to get a job, marry , have kids and be happy for a while just to die and be forgotten.
Some people dont even get that luxury, like kids that die young. A couple of my friends have passed at a young age and i dont understand it. People say that everything happens for a reason? Do you agree with this.
Sorry, its a bit jumbled but im confused and this is literally everything that goes through my mind 24/7??
Thanks

I also have these thoughts, and was also home schooled :smile: you are completely right that it's stupid that we study, have a family and die to be forgotten, that's why you have to make memories for yourself, not for anyone else. Live how you want to live, not how society tells you so. Get yourself a goal and aim for it. It doesn't have to be a house or find your soul mate or whatever. Personally I want to work towards a specific car I want, then travel around Europe, be free and see what happens... it's realistic for me. If you have a dream chase it, and don't let anyone stop you, because at the end of the day it's your life not theirs. Do whatever makes you feel alive, not just merely existing. Hope this helps
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Xopher_
I also have these thoughts, and was also home schooled :smile: you are completely right that it's stupid that we study, have a family and die to be forgotten, that's why you have to make memories for yourself, not for anyone else. Live how you want to live, not how society tells you so. Get yourself a goal and aim for it. It doesn't have to be a house or find your soul mate or whatever. Personally I want to work towards a specific car I want, then travel around Europe, be free and see what happens... it's realistic for me. If you have a dream chase it, and don't let anyone stop you, because at the end of the day it's your life not theirs. Do whatever makes you feel alive, not just merely existing. Hope this helps

Thank you, this actually helped :smile:
Reply 14
Asking "What is the meaning of life?" is like asking "What is the meaning of a chair?". Is it an object to sit on? No, that's it's purpose not the definition of chair. Is it an object with a flat surface mounted on 4 legs? No, that's a description of a chair.

The point is, you're asking a question that has no answer. Asking "What is the purpose of life?" or "What is a chair" is very different and a whole another topic because even those are abstract issues. I don't want to go deeper into it because I'll f**king it depressed again and won't be able to live peacefully for a week so.
Reply 15
Ha, you are young to be asking that question, but its a question that shows an inquisitive bright head on your shoulders. Life is a lot easier to never have to trouble yourself with unanswerable questions.

Ill give thoughts from my perspective(struggled with this too lately). I think the ultimate way to enjoy life is to build a lifestyle you enjoy living around people you have built good relationships with, harnessing your passion and spending every day making it a reality. The scariest thought I've ever experienced is the belief i would never find a fulfilling purpose. Over philosophizing everything can make your life miserable, sometimes you have to learn to appreciate the obvious, uninspiring simple things. I call them coping mechanisms to other people and struggle to integrate them in my own life.

Being home schooled you definitely missed out on a lot of life experience. I think that's partly responsible for feeling the way you do. You feel like a path has already been written for you that doesn't inspire you or allow you much room to create your own journey.

I can't tell you what you truly want but working towards something while you try to figure out what that is always more rewarding in the long run, I didn't do that, learn from my mistake.
Puzzzy money weeeeeed
ass n tiddies, my boy

It took 75 thousand generations to calculate and has been checked thoroughly, the answer is:

220px-Answer_to_Life.png

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 19
Thanks

The meaning of life is to give life meaning

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest