The Student Room Group

Oxbridge 2018 Reapplicants

Scroll to see replies

I haven't spotted this thread before so its nice to find some other re-applicants.

Course: PPE, reapplying for HSPS
College: Wadham reapplying to Kings
Interviewed? (yes/no): yes
Feedback?: generic
School type: state
GCSE: 3 A*s, 4 As, 3Bs
AS: AAABB
A2 achieved, on a gap year: 3 A*s and 2 As
Strengths: grades and wider reading
Weaknesses: interviews and admissions tests
What you aim to work on: subject knowledge
What your plans are: got an internship at the Labour Party and a position in CND. Mainly just reading around the subjects.
Anyone else switching from Oxford to Cambridge?
Original post by patrickwahins
I haven't spotted this thread before so its nice to find some other re-applicants.

Course: PPE, reapplying for HSPS
College: Wadham reapplying to Kings
Interviewed? (yes/no): yes
Feedback?: generic
GCSE: 3 A*s, 4 As, 3Bs
AS: AAABB
A2 achieved, on a gap year: 3 A*s and 2 As
Strengths: grades and wider reading
Weaknesses: interviews and admissions tests
What you aim to work on: subject knowledge
What your plans are: got an internship at the Labour Party and a position in CND. Mainly just reading around the subjects.

You are taking 2 gap years - don't you think that you might be a bit out of it all by the time you finally go to university?
Original post by Forecast
You are taking 2 gap years - don't you think that you might be a bit out of it all by the time you finally go to university?

What do you mean by out of it?

In some ways yes, others no.
Original post by patrickwahins
What do you mean by out of it?

When you feel like your education is in the past, and your study skills and exam technique have deteriorated from what they used to be.

I'm on my gap year now and A-levels feel like a lifetime away. I can only imagine it'd be a lot worse if you take two years out and all the people who you went to sixth form with are in their final years just as you're starting out.
Original post by Forecast
When you feel like your education is in the past, and your study skills and exam technique have deteriorated from what they used to be.

I'm on my gap year now and A-levels feel like a lifetime away. I can only imagine it'd be a lot worse if you take two years out and all the people who you went to sixth form with are in their final years just as you're starting out.

I guess my case is a bit different.

In terms of study skills I'd say I'm 'revising' a lot harder now than I did in preparation for my A Levels but the difference is I'm reading and learning about what I'm interested in rather than what's on the curriculum so it doesn't feel like work at all. It's why I took a gap year in the first place. I use the same format of revision in terms of note creation then anki and a lot of it has been building on my a level notes so there's a lot of continuity in terms of study skills actually.

I am a bit worried about exam technique but next month I'm going to start writing a few essays a week to get back into it.

With being left behind; out of my group of around 10 close friends - 3 also took gap years, 2 dropped out to change university and 2 are doing 4 year degrees so that's been mitigated really. It's one of the reasons I didn't take my offers from Durham and Warwick actually, I wanted to be sure. I'm more worried about what it'd be like at Cambridge being a few years older than most undergraduates.

What are you applying for?
It's cool to see I'm not the only one considering this! Hi everyone!
Reply 87
You are inferior if you cannot get into Oxford
Original post by r3035

Wonderful positivity! I'm sure your mind is equally as advanced as your insightful statement. A truly groundbreaking discovery
Original post by r3035

Dude why are you obsessed with making these weird ego-massaging posts. No one cares. Plenty of reapplicants are successful and plenty are not but are successful and happy elsewhere. It's not that deep. Intelligence is based on a greater diversity of human experience than the arguably flawed education system currently allows for. The grass isn't always greener/smarter/better on the other side and the stress isn't for everyone. Let people live, make choices and discover things and stop wasting your time.
Reply 90
Hello, am wondering if its worth reapplying to Cambridge.

Course: Law, reapplying for law
College: Sidney - Unsure what college to reapply to, leaning towards fitz or magdalene
Interviewed? (yes/no): yes - pooled and rejected
Feedback?: UMS + nervous interview
GCSE: 1a*11A
AS: AAAA
A2 achieved: 2a*2a (deciding if gap or not)
Strengths: they said personal statement and cambridge law test were strong
Weaknesses: interviews and ums?
What you aim to work on: interview skills and readings
What your plans are: internship at law firm for 4-5 months, then work then internship abroad for rest of time

- Unsure if I should reapply as am not sure if Id have a competitive application, my UMS is still fairly low compared to the average offer holder so Im not sure if its worthwhile reapplying. Any thoughts would be nice! And if I am to, unsure if I should apply to oxford or not (subpar gcses and relatively low LNAT score compared to oxford applicants)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by mandm1
Hello, am wondering if its worth reapplying to Cambridge.

Course: Law, reapplying for law
College: Sidney - Unsure what college to reapply to, leaning towards fitz or magdalene
Interviewed? (yes/no): yes - pooled and rejected
Feedback?: UMS + nervous interview
GCSE: 1a*11A
AS: AAAA
A2 achieved: 2a*2a (deciding if gap or not)
Strengths: they said personal statement and cambridge law test were strong
Weaknesses: interviews and ums?
What you aim to work on: interview skills and readings
What your plans are: internship at law firm for 4-5 months, then work then internship abroad for rest of time

- Unsure if I should reapply as am not sure if Id have a competitive application, my UMS is still fairly low compared to the average offer holder so Im not sure if its worthwhile reapplying. Any thoughts would be nice! And if I am to, unsure if I should apply to oxford or not (subpar gcses and relatively low LNAT score compared to oxford applicants)

Being pooled suggests that you were seriously being considered, even despite UMS and nerves. No guarantees of course but I would suspect having a 2nd attempt as it were would make someone less nervous (this was an issue for me too I suspect). 2A*2A at A2 vs 1a*11a at GCSE would be seen as a good improvement and your most recent qualifications have more weight.

You seem to have a solid plan for your gap year. Law is a more competitive subject than many so you'd have to be realistic nonetheless. I'd advise emailing the admissions team of one of the colleges you're interested in, giving UMS details etc and they can advise you personally. Also check out Christ's Admissions post-results clinic. :smile:
I'm debating a reapplication, because I know for a fact that my AS levels were the reason for a rejection before even interview (BCCE), but my house flooded in December very badly, leading to a disruptive home life and etc, yet I didn't submit an extenuating circumstances form. Having just got my A levels (A*AA- Art, Eng Lit, Chemistry) and already planning on doing an art foundation course, I am considering going in again. But I wanna know what other people think - am I crazy?

(Background: Last year I applied for Archaeology at Cambridge, on the recommendation of a PhD student who saw me present a paper I wrote at the National Students Archaeology Conference. I also attended a summer school at Cambridge and am being published in an academic journal. So I wasn't completely crazy to apply, I hope 😅. Worth pointing out that I'm not going in for Archaeology this time, possibly History of Art or English).
Original post by ElanortheHobbit
I'm debating a reapplication, because I know for a fact that my AS levels were the reason for a rejection before even interview (BCCE), but my house flooded in December very badly, leading to a disruptive home life and etc, yet I didn't submit an extenuating circumstances form. Having just got my A levels (A*AA- Art, Eng Lit, Chemistry) and already planning on doing an art foundation course, I am considering going in again. But I wanna know what other people think - am I crazy?

(Background: Last year I applied for Archaeology at Cambridge, on the recommendation of a PhD student who saw me present a paper I wrote at the National Students Archaeology Conference. I also attended a summer school at Cambridge and am being published in an academic journal. So I wasn't completely crazy to apply, I hope 😅. Worth pointing out that I'm not going in for Archaeology this time, possibly History of Art or English).

No, absolutely not crazy! You can have your referee mention your extenuating circumstances in the reference and they will take this into account (I'm going to do this to explain my lack of GCSE as I was at a disadvantaged school). Your grades look fine, especially for AAA courses. For Fine Art, the majority of applicants take an art foundation year and I imagine doing so will also be advantageous for History of Art.
Original post by auburnstar
No, absolutely not crazy! You can have your referee mention your extenuating circumstances in the reference and they will take this into account (I'm going to do this to explain my lack of GCSE as I was at a disadvantaged school). Your grades look fine, especially for AAA courses. For Fine Art, the majority of applicants take an art foundation year and I imagine doing so will also be advantageous for History of Art.

Thanks! Last year everyone thought I was a bit ridiculous, and my college is very keen on Oxbridge applicants, so if it hadn't been for the PhD student telling me to apply and my experience they wouldn't have let me.

I'm going to call my college and ask their opinion tomorrow, so that I can also be on tutoring sessions and stuff, and I think I will go for it! Nothing to loose, really.
(edited 6 years ago)
Thanks! Last year everyone thought I was a bit ridiculous, and my college is very keen on Oxbridge applicants, so if it hadn't been for the PhD student telling me to apply and my experience they wouldn't have let me.

I'm going to call my college and ask their opinion tomorrow, so that I can also be on tutoring sessions and stuff, and I think I will go for it! Nothing to loose, really.

You certainly have more guts than I do! I've been trying to craft an email to my headteacher and wondering if reapplying makes me look like a stubborn masochist.
You certainly have more guts than I do! I've been trying to craft an email to my headteacher and wondering if reapplying makes me look like a stubborn masochist.

Well, I have a friend who reapplied last year, who now has a place, so I know that my college is comfortable with that. I suppose I'm also quite hopeful because of her experience.

But there's nothing wrong with being stubborn! Your school will probably be supportive too, because an application with A levels already attained and a year of extracurriculars should put you in a strong position. Plus offers will make them look good. Don't worry about it!
Well, I have a friend who reapplied last year, who now has a place, so I know that my college is comfortable with that. I suppose I'm also quite hopeful because of her experience.

But there's nothing wrong with being stubborn! Your school will probably be supportive too, because an application with A levels already attained and a year of extracurriculars should put you in a strong position. Plus offers will make them look good. Don't worry about it!

I've heard good statistics which is reassuring (things like 3/10 people being reapplicants at the TSR LMH officer's college). Thanks so much for the support, I needed it :] I've finally written the email, debating on whether to send it now or later when school starts back early September.
I've heard good statistics which is reassuring (things like 3/10 people being reapplicants at the TSR LMH officer's college). Thanks so much for the support, I needed it :] I've finally written the email, debating on whether to send it now or later when school starts back early September.

It shouldn't make much of a difference, I'm only calling now as I also want to have a breakdown of my marks (my college doesn't give them to us unless we ask) and my script for English, so 3 birds one stone haha

Because it's so close to results day they will probably be able to respond, although they're likely to be busy too. Best of luck!
It shouldn't make much of a difference, I'm only calling now as I also want to have a breakdown of my marks (my college doesn't give them to us unless we ask) and my script for English, so 3 birds one stone haha

Because it's so close to results day they will probably be able to respond, although they're likely to be busy too. Best of luck!

Thank you! I'm sure it'll be nice to know the breakdown of marks as well (3/4 of my subjects were old spec). :smile:

I was just writing my PS for music and I realised that I wrote 'this book was instrumental'. I'm wondering whether to keep this (unintentional) pun. xDD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending