The Student Room Group

AQA A-Level Biology BIOL4 (resit/oldspec) 12 June 2017

Hey, not sure how many people resat this exam. How did it go for you?

I'm aiming for 50+ raw marks, many questions were repeated word for word from past papers
i think i got around 60, what do u think the grade boundaries will roughly be?
Original post by gcooney4

I'm aiming for 50+ raw marks, many questions were repeated word for word from past papers

It went well, and yeah quite a few were repeated questions. What did you get for the population question and the hardy weinberg one too?
Reply 3
Original post by gcooney4

Hey, me and two others sat the exam today. It was a decent paper but I feel like the grade boundaries are going to be ridiculously high
They repeated various questions word for word on a resit paper knowingly that we have had the whole year to revise the exam and knowingly that some of us will know the correct answer. So what are they asking for? Either they are being nice to us because we are resitting or they will use the 'new' questions that they were actually bothered to create to distinguish between candidates
I thought that paper was literally a joke! I looked it up and there are at least five questions word for word from other years! There must be so few people resiting it didn't make sense to write a whole new paper.
Original post by coolstuff16
I thought that paper was literally a joke! I looked it up and there are at least five questions word for word from other years! There must be so few people resiting it didn't make sense to write a whole new paper.

I resat biol1 and 2 and they did the same thing with those too.
Reply 7
Sat this too! I only need a C on this paper for A overall. The grade boundaries could be high, but as others have said about other AQA resits (i.e. Chem), it makes little sense for them to be super strict about the few people who are resitting, and they can hardly make it 95% marks for an A. So fingers crossed they're just being kind. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by coolstuff16

lol were doing the new spec- how i wish they included questions similar to past ones rip ! did you do biol 5 btw and do you happen to know the essay questions that were asked??
Reply 9
Hi guys can anyone guess what the grade boundaries will be for biol 4 and biol 5
As I need about 80 ums in each paper does anyone know what marks I would need out of 75 roughly for 80 ums in unit 4 and how many marks out of 100 I would need for 80 ums in unit 5 . Thanks
Reply 11
after sitting biol1 i realized that they copied questions from past papers and predicted they'd do the same for the others so as well as revising i tried to memorise the mark schemes for all the 2010-2013 papers and thankfully almost the entire papers of the rest had a mix of questions from those years, even most the calculations 😭😭 i was/am only hoping to get a C (my isa grades are awful!) but if i get higher due to this i'd be so grateful aaa

i think the grade boundaries will be high, but not much higher than the average boundaries?

my guess-timations are for an A in each module

unit 1 - 48-50 /60
unit 2 - 68 /85
unit 4 - 60 /75
unit 5 -70 /100
(raw marks)

looking at past boundaries getting an A has always been slightly lower than these than these so im assuming it'll be like this due to them copying directly from past papers, who knows they might go easy on us and make the boundaries low regardless due to there being so few of us ?

does anyone know how many candidates exactly in the country doing the re-sits? i was the only student doing biology as a third year in my college, i guess since so few of us remained aqa didnt wanna put effort into making new questions for us, they did the same i hear for chemistry and sociology and probably alot more
(edited 6 years ago)
So how many marks would you reckon 80 ums would be in unit 4 and unit 5 ? Also only about 20 students at my place were retaking the old spec modules.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also for unit 4 it's out of 75 so you mean 68/75 for an A grade

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
@12khan02 oop sorry i thought it was out of 85, edited the previous post with my guesses :,D

Using last years grade boundaries, i checked using their converter here http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/results-days/grade-boundaries-and-ums/ums-converter

Unit 4 needed 54 marks for 80 UMS
Unit 5 needed 50 marks for 80 UMS

So for this year i reckon about 60-63 marks for both papers to get 80 UMS?
correct me if im wrong aa
Ok thanks hopefully the grade boundaries won't be to high .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys so you know on the last question , the 5 marker on anearobic respiration in unit 4 . Would I get a mark for writing that glycolysis is the process involved in anearobic respiration and this converts glucose into pyruvate which produces 2 ATP and 2 NADH ( I wrote all the steps in glycolysis . Also would I get a mark for writing that in anearobic respiration theirs is more anerobic denitryifying bacteria and less aerobic nitrifying bacteria so nitrate ions are removed from the soil and so their is no nitrate ions to be taken up in active transport . ( really helpful if you could give me feed back 🙌)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by 12khan02
Hi guys so you know on the last question , the 5 marker on anearobic respiration in unit 4 . Would I get a mark for writing that glycolysis is the process involved in anearobic respiration and this converts glucose into pyruvate which produces 2 ATP and 2 NADH ( I wrote all the steps in glycolysis . Also would I get a mark for writing that in anearobic respiration theirs is more anerobic denitryifying bacteria and less aerobic nitrifying bacteria so nitrate ions are removed from the soil and so their is no nitrate ions to be taken up in active transport . ( really helpful if you could give me feed back 🙌)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I doubt anyone can answer this any more than you can; we don't have the mark schemes (and I've forgotten the paper entirely, besides :P). Really have no idea why you're mentioning nitrogen in anaerobic respiration unless the question was in the context of the nitrogen cycle.

Stop thinking about your answers and fretting. I know it's hard, but you can't change what you've put now, and what will be, will be. The examiners can only give you marks for what you've written; trying to convince yourself of the marks is just going to stress you (and everyone else) out. :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending