The Student Room Group

What if I fail my GCSEs and end up with all E grades?

It's difficult to explain but my performance within exams have been affected due to family issues which have been going on for a couple of months now and its making me feel quite depressed. I got a grade C in core science last year and that's the only GCSE that I have so far :frown: (We took it a year early)

The only subject that I am confident about is Computing as I got a grade A and C in my courseworks and I'm sure that I got at least a C in the exams fingers crossed.

I really hope I don't just leave school with 2 or 3 gcses. Will my school make me resit year 11 or can they not legally do this? I just want to move on to somewhere else after my exams, to college.

I should be getting C/B grades but this whole situation at the moment is really bringing me down in all aspects.

Scroll to see replies

mcdonalds
Reply 2
you can go to another college and retake your GCSEs. you don't have to stay in your school if you dont want to. but for now just try your best with your exams left and hope for the best! x I really hope everything goes well for ya 😊😊
re-sit your GCSE's, simple :smile: don't know if your school in particular does that or not but unless u want a low down job then simply re-sit them.
sorry to hear about ur issues,
as little as it means i wish you luck
you might be able to retake english and maths at your school, but if you can't i'm sure that there are re sit thingys in your area
xx
Reply 5
Original post by ayyy2
mcdonalds

Don't try to be funny this is a serious matter I'm a capable student that is going through a difficult time and it is affecting my education and future
you will have to retake maths and english language if they fall below c. Besides not all is lost if you have bad gcse's. Kinda depends on what you want to pursue in life really.
Reply 7
Original post by KFrostMU
you will have to retake maths and english language if they fall below c. Besides not all is lost if you have bad gcse's. Kinda depends on what you want to pursue in life really.

I was planning to study computing at college and do a level 3 diploma in it but I'm not sure what will happen now...... dunno if its worth it anymore
Well you will have to get a C in Maths and English so chances are you will have to retake those exams. As far as what happens after that, it totally depends on what your school allows you to do. Some will allow you to do continue with your A-levels and some won't. Keep in mind they'll have set requirements for each A-level. It's really a matter you should take up with your school to see what your options are.
Just try your hardest as I'm sure you are already and I reckon you'll receive some advice from your school on results day as they know you better than I do. Best of luck and hope everything turns out okay.
You can apply for something called "special consideration" if you have family problems, the exam boards can give you up to 25% of the marks you don't get if they feel its right to award( so if you go below your target they will)
I have faith in you - you won't get tonnes of E grades. I was in a difficult situation during my mock exams, which you might not treat as equal. However I was scared of getting several Bs and Cs, even as a highly capable student. Weeks later, I ended up getting a string of A*s and As. With confidence comes success.
Original post by Anonymous
It's difficult to explain but my performance within exams have been affected due to family issues which have been going on for a couple of months now and its making me feel quite depressed. I got a grade C in core science last year and that's the only GCSE that I have so far :frown: (We took it a year early)

The only subject that I am confident about is Computing as I got a grade A and C in my courseworks and I'm sure that I got at least a C in the exams fingers crossed.

I really hope I don't just leave school with 2 or 3 gcses. Will my school make me resit year 11 or can they not legally do this? I just want to move on to somewhere else after my exams, to college.

I should be getting C/B grades but this whole situation at the moment is really bringing me down in all aspects.

I'm sorry for what's happening and I hope everything works out for you and your family.

Don't think so negatively. I was thinking the same as you, but I keep telling myself you can do it. Honestly, negative thoughts can bring you down. Just think positive about your exams, I have and personally for me it's helped. (It may not for you, but you can always try!)

I'm quite sure that they can't make you resit a whole year. I know about English Language and Maths. Besides that'd be torture to resit a WHOLE YEAR-it's stressful as it is already. They might make you do another course, not too sure... It'd be best to speak with your school about that.

I'm sure you will do well!☺️

Hope that kinda helped? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't try to be funny this is a serious matter I'm a capable student that is going through a difficult time and it is affecting my education and future

I'm not being funny. Unless you have some sort of exceptional talent, you won't be able to get a job above minimim wage if you failed all your GCSEs.

You'd probably have to retake them all in a further education college then do BTECs/A-Levels
Don't worry it's really difficult to get an E grade. I think it's just the one above U?
It means you only get like 20% of the marks in the paper I think, which if you revise is basically impossible considering you're a smart student. Without revising i'd expect you to get atleast 35% of the marks
Original post by pereira325
Don't worry it's really difficult to get an E grade. I think it's just the one above U?
It means you only get like 20% of the marks in the paper I think, which if you revise is basically impossible considering you're a smart student. Without revising i'd expect you to get atleast 35% of the marks

Thanks I really don't know what to think as what has happened is affecting me and it is really affecting my concentration I don't think people understand. Sorry if it sounds like I'm sounding off at you, I'm not.
Thanks I really don't know what to think as what has happened is affecting me and it is really affecting my concentration I don't think people understand. Sorry if it sounds like I'm sounding off at you, I'm not.

Safe. Just do your best as they say and really just concentrate as much as you can in the actual exam. Outside of the exam, meh, but please in the exam just focus. You will not get an E if you do this (maybe a C or D though, no promises.
That's what the student room is for :smile:
Reply 17

The best thing to do is to do adequate revision for the remaining exams - I don't mean by doing hardcore revision such as all nighters but sensible and productive revision will always help. My tips for exams are to eat sensibly - eat a healthy meal, have a water bottle in the exam, stay calm and attempt all the questions even if you're stuck. Then even if things don't go your way you know you've done your best - I'm sure that what you expect of yourself. :wink: Good luck.

I got grades that were pretty bad mostly all E's 2 Fs and 2C's I now have an honours degree. Really if you get bad grades you can do a one year What they call foundation course then a BTEC first Diploma Which if you pass will allow you on to a levels or a national diploma I did that hope that helped.
Original post by ayyy2
mcdonalds

There's no need to put somebody down like that. Imagine if you were in their situation.

Quick Reply

Latest