The Student Room Group

Using texts as evidence

So one of my mates got caught with weed and the school went through his phone and got the police involved, there were text messages about weed to me and apparently the deputy tried to find me in a lesson I wasn't in.
I have cleared my phone with everything related to it so if they go through my phone they wont find anything but with the texts on my friends phone make me worried, can they use those texts against me as proof for anything? If they ask me or show me the messages and ask me anything about them what could I say?
If anyone has advice please tell me.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Say Nada
So one of my mates got caught with weed and the school went through his phone and got the police involved, there were text messages about weed to me and apparently the deputy tried to find me in a lesson I wasn't in.
I have cleared my phone with everything related to it so if they go through my phone they wont find anything but with the texts on my friends phone make me worried, can they use those texts against me as proof for anything? If they ask me or show me the messages and ask me anything about them what could I say?
If anyone has advice please tell me.

They have the texts. There's nothing you can do except pass them off as jokes or something.

Yes, the texts can be used as evidence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
what do the texts say?

clearing you phone wont mean anything as they still have the texts on your friends phone. it depends on what sort of things you talked about as to how much trouble you are in
Reply 3
Original post by PinkAcid
what do the texts say?

clearing you phone wont mean anything as they still have the texts on your friends phone. it depends on what sort of things you talked about as to how much trouble you are in

Mostly things like wanting to meet up to smoke or to smoke after school etc, that sorta thing
Reply 4
Texts can be used as evidence but as long as you didn't have intent to supply you will not have any criminal convictions for it.
Reply 5
Original post by Pirko
Texts can be used as evidence but as long as you didn't have intent to supply you will not have any criminal convictions for it.

Could they potentially suspend me or anything even though there is no proof I actually did anything, only texts saying I was going to.
You should'nt have participated in illegal activity if you can't cope with the consequences...

Posted from TSR Mobile
You will probably get a caution at worst.
Reply 8
Could they potentially suspend me or anything even though there is no proof I actually did anything, only texts saying I was going to.

Make sure your story is consistent with your friends. It doesn't really matter whether you took it or not, it's the possession/intent that they'll be questioning. From a policing perspective you'll get a caution which is nothing, but from a school perspective I'm sure they have a right to suspend you.
Reply 9
Ended up getting excluded for 5 days and possible expulsion if they find anything else out that involves me
Ended up getting excluded for 5 days and possible expulsion if they find anything else out that involves me

You got off easy, keep your head down.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending