The Student Room Group

Should Europe open its borders or shore them up?

Could or should Europe go back to having open borders?

Obviously regarding the refugee crisis, economic migrants etc.

Scroll to see replies

Europe does have open borders internally. Externally it has never had open borders.
Original post by ByEeek
Europe does have open borders internally. Externally it has never had open borders.

It did have open borders when Mama Merkal opened the door and fired the starting pistol,
Original post by ChristyOMisty
It did have open borders when Mama Merkal opened the door and fired the starting pistol,

It really didn't. If you flew into Europe from outside the EU, you hit passport control and immigration. Same at ports. Of course if you manage to land on a random European Island, things are a bit different. But then that will go for the UK when we shut the door. Rather than come through immigration, migrants will simply don inflatable boats and come under their own steam. If it works in the Med, it will work in the Straights of Dover.
Original post by ByEeek
It really didn't. If you flew into Europe from outside the EU, you hit passport control and immigration. Same at ports. Of course if you manage to land on a random European Island, things are a bit different. But then that will go for the UK when we shut the door. Rather than come through immigration, migrants will simply don inflatable boats and come under their own steam. If it works in the Med, it will work in the Straights of Dover.

The implication of that is that respecting immigration laws are for chumps. Just go where you want and wing it. It helps if its a Western country though.

The EU even provides a free water taxi service known as Frontex that will pick you up a few hundred metres off the beach.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Correctthink
The implication of that is that respecting immigration laws are for chumps. Just go where you want and wing it. It helps if its a Western country though.

The EU even provides a free water taxi service known as Frontex that will pick you up a few hundred metres off the beach.

Because you would stand on the shore and watch people and children drown?
Reply 6
What borders?
Reply 7
Soon come the Soviet Union of Islamic European States.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jewish financed NGO's are smuggling people into Europe from Libya illegally

Its human trafficking

Read up about it, even Libya's government agrees this is a problem

We need to go after these NGO's like Hungary is doing and resist people like this

Attachment not found

This "tolerant and diversity (but only in White majority countries)" promoting man is also a war mongering neo-con who had his hand in the revolutions in Ukraine and pushing for a war with RUSSIA!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Given that the majority of the "immigrants" coming from the Middle East are men, who could otherwise be fighting to protect their homeland, I say we should shore them up! I think it's becoming more and more obvious that ISIS has infiltrated Europe under the guise of refugees...
Original post by ByEeek
Rather than come through immigration, migrants will simply don inflatable boats and come under their own steam. If it works in the Med, it will work in the Straights of Dover.

The Med has much more favourable conditions and a surplus of shady North African people smugglers to help the process along.

The Channel is one of the busiest shipping routes in the world and those who fall in would be dying of hypothermia pretty sharpish.

The Channel is our greatest defence, that and naval guns.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Meany Pie

The Channel is our greatest defence, that and naval guns.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you would stand by and watch whilst our navy shot some of the poorest people in the world?

Sometimes I wonder if some like yourself would have us sent back to 1588! Is this really what constitutes a civil society?
The streets of Europe are not paved with gold and neither are these migrants starving and half naked as the stereotypes would suggest.
Original post by ByEeek
So you would stand by and watch whilst our navy shot some of the poorest people in the world?

Sometimes I wonder if some like yourself would have us sent back to 1588! Is this really what constitutes a civil society?

Open borders is what constitutes suicidal altruism. How may would you be happy with?
1,000,000 a year?
2,000,000 a year?
3,000,000 a year?
Or maybe limitless, as many as want to come, becauseone thing you can be sure of, as we saw when Merkal invited the world to their doors there is an endless number that want to come here, literally hundreds of millions from across the world, totally understandably btw, if I were in some hole of a third world country i would be desperate to move to the west, but so what?
Just because they want to come doesnt mean we should let them.
Refugees are one thing but even the UN admit that over 70% of the numbers entering europe arent refugees but economic migrants. Refugees should stop at the first safe country they get to and register.
We need immigration and immigrants want to come here but "open door" immigration without selection and targets would be suicidal for us.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ByEeek

They have the opportunity to go through the right channels to gain entry into the country, if they use the wrong Channel they will get shot.
Original post by ChristyOMisty
Open borders is what constitutes suicidal altruism. How may would you be happy with?

I haven't been advocating an open door policy for a second. But nor do I like the sort of language that some people feel is appropriate. Imagery of people dying or being shot as they try to get here are neither helpful or further the argument.

I have no issue with immigration control. But at the same time I oppose a total ban on immigration. Whilst many love to vilify immigrants, we must not forget that we are all descended from immigrants of one sort or another. In recent years the UK economy has been booming with low unemployment and high standards of living, partly off the back of immigration. We can't have it both ways. I understand that there are pressures on services in some parts of the country, but at the same time, those services are often supported by immigrant workers. The issue is exceedingly complex. Calling for a simple black and white ban on immigrants complete with a wholesale removal of anyone whose face doesn't fit it neither practical, useful, or desirable.
Original post by Meany Pie
They have the opportunity to go through the right channels to gain entry into the country, if they use the wrong Channel they will get shot.

If this is the sort of country you want to live in, I suggest you move to Russia where you will be very happy.

Good luck!
Because not having open borders = poverty and dictatorship. Look at Japan.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Sarahsez
Could or should Europe go back to having open borders?

Obviously regarding the refugee crisis, economic migrants etc.

Depends if you're a person who believes in boarders, I do and think that none of these people should be let in

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ByEeek
If this is the sort of country you want to live in, I suggest you move to Russia where you will be very happy.

Good luck!

Why should we just let people in who skip the queue?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending