The Student Room Group

OCR History A (New): England 1485-1558: The Early Tudors - 16 Jun 2017

2017 Exam date: Friday 16th June. 9am

The course:
Covering Henry VII to Mary I, the exam is split into sources (on Edward and Mary) and a choice of 2 essay questions -typically 1 on Henry VII and one on Henry VIII (in some manner)

How has everyone been revising for this? Do you all feel confident for this paper?

Scroll to see replies

Ahhh, a history exam I'm doing! Hey!

I'm feeling confident for the Henry VII question but I know little to nothing about Henry VIII so.... I feel pretty good, but worried that the sources might be on something really obscure?
Original post by blue2337
Ahhh, a history exam I'm doing! Hey!

I'm feeling confident for the Henry VII question but I know little to nothing about Henry VIII so.... I feel pretty good, but worried that the sources might be on something really obscure?

I'm the same about the Henry essays - Henry VII is always my best; there's just far too much for Henry VIII for me to remember it all properly.
And I don't know about the sources? There has to be a couple that are obvious to talk about - it's a 30 mark question after all.

What other papers are you taking? I've got the Crusades and Crusader States, and Russian Rulers 1855-1964
Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie
I'm the same about the Henry essays - Henry VII is always my best; there's just far too much for Henry VIII for me to remember it all properly.
And I don't know about the sources? There has to be a couple that are obvious to talk about - it's a 30 mark question after all.

What other papers are you taking? I've got the Crusades and Crusader States, and Russian Rulers 1855-1964

I'm taking the Early and Mid Tudors and the Crusades but Im doing a different themes paper
Any predictions on what might come up?
Original post by blue2337
Any predictions on what might come up?

I've had a look at the exemplar paper which a teacher was kind enough to let me have a look over, and the topics that came up were:

•

Problems with a female monarch/ Mary gaining the throne (The sources question)

•

Henry VII's foreign policy

•

the Fall of Wolsey

Now, these are also the ones from last year( or close enough) so they are unlikely to come up again on the paper.
Hey guys,

I think Henry VIII questions are likely to be: Foreign Policy and Dissolution of Monasteries?
Original post by Lucy Stansfield
Hey guys,

I think Henry VIII questions are likely to be: Foreign Policy and Dissolution of Monasteries?

They could be! Last year's question for Henry VIII was on Wolsey's downfall, so it's unlikely to come up again (thank heavens; I hated Wolsey)
Hoping foreign policy comes up, although in all honesty i feel rather confident for all the topics covered under Henry VII/VIII. I'm just hoping the source question is easy enough for me to pick apart, as I find that's where I'm struggling... any tips with regards to what to look for when analysing each source? I think I've got the synthesis part nailed down as it's largely the same as the interpretation question for Russia.

My other topics are Russia 1855-1964 and the Crusades & Crusader States- thought the Russia paper was quite neat (even though I did waffle a bit when talking about the Fundamental Laws)
Original post by anaryanstark
Hoping foreign policy comes up, although in all honesty i feel rather confident for all the topics covered under Henry VII/VIII. I'm just hoping the source question is easy enough for me to pick apart, as I find that's where I'm struggling... any tips with regards to what to look for when analysing each source? I think I've got the synthesis part nailed down as it's largely the same as the interpretation question for Russia.

My other topics are Russia 1855-1964 and the Crusades & Crusader States- thought the Russia paper was quite neat (even though I did waffle a bit when talking about the Fundamental Laws)

Nice to see someone doing both of my other papers! Yeah I hate the Fundamental Laws question - spent a lot of it waffling about the Dumas and Autocracy.

My teachers have given us tips for the sources question - I'll add it into the first post on this thread :smile:

How have you been revising for Henry VIII? I keep finding him intolerable and find Henry VII so much easier.
Reply 10
There is also a chance that both essay questions will be on Henry VII or both essay questions on Henry VIII which makes it that much riskier if you only revise one ruler.
Nice to see someone doing both of my other papers! Yeah I hate the Fundamental Laws question - spent a lot of it waffling about the Dumas and Autocracy.

My teachers have given us tips for the sources question - I'll add it into the first post on this thread :smile:

How have you been revising for Henry VIII? I keep finding him intolerable and find Henry VII so much easier.

Thankyou so much! I'm sure it will be really helpful.

As for Henry VIII? I'd agree that Henry VII is much easier as there's a lot less to remember but I've found that whereas with Henry VIII under Wolsey the course focuses much more on that relationship and how that shapes Henry's rule, whereas afterwards there is a heavy focus on religion and the specific changes that were made. I wouldn't say I'm revising that differently from how I'm doing the section Henry VII- it's all a lot of mind maps and post it notes, as usual, with a bit of practice on questions that look hard- but there's a lot more key acts and dates to remember when doing Henry VIII which makes revising it more dense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
do any of you think then will ask two questions on Henry VIII like they did for the AS this year?
Original post by m5678
do any of you think then will ask two questions on Henry VIII like they did for the AS this year?

They did what

Oh god I hope not. That would be my worst nightmare.
Reply 14
They did what

Oh god I hope not. That would be my worst nightmare.

Haha same! For the AS paper this year they asked both the questions on Henry VIII - freaking out that then might do the same for the A2 on friday ....
Anybody got any predictions for sources? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
How's everyone feeling about tomorrow morning? I for one, really don't hope there's two Henry VIII questions.
I reckon they'll ask one on Henry VII and Henry VIII. If i recall correctly, last year's AS questions were on Wolsey's domestic policy and the threats to Henry VII's reign, i imagine it is less likely those two topics will come up as questions- i'd put money on Henry VII's foreign policy coming up, and a question from Henry VIII's reign as well, surely.

As for the source questions, my teacher reckons that religious changes under Mary could potentially come up, although he sounded pretty unsure. I feel like religious changes are worth looking at anyway. Good luck everyone!
Reply 18
Original post by anaryanstark
I reckon they'll ask one on Henry VII and Henry VIII. If i recall correctly, last year's AS questions were on Wolsey's domestic policy and the threats to Henry VII's reign, i imagine it is less likely those two topics will come up as questions- i'd put money on Henry VII's foreign policy coming up, and a question from Henry VIII's reign as well, surely.

As for the source questions, my teacher reckons that religious changes under Mary could potentially come up, although he sounded pretty unsure. I feel like religious changes are worth looking at anyway. Good luck everyone!

My teacher said if that came up he thought it would be focused on catholic and not protestant as protestants under mary was on as paper
Reply 19
I've had so many exams, I'm so not prepared for this! I think I'll be ok with sources, there's just so much to learn on the Henry's😩

Quick Reply

Latest