The Student Room Group

OCR AL Psychology (New): Research methods H167/1 & H567/1 - 15 May & 07 Jun 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
So what are your predictions for section B and C?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone know the University Moray was done at??
Original post by schoolgirl1
Anyone know the University Moray was done at??

Don't think that was ever mentioned actually...

Hate that study so much:frown:
Original post by LenniesRabbit
Don't think that was ever mentioned actually...

Hate that study so much:frown:

I think it might have been Oxford...
Same it's soo long!!
Need a guide for how to answer the 'training programme' question in the core studies paper and evaluation of this programme.
Thanks.
Oh hang on then I think last years AS exam Section C was behaviourist then. I remember the extract been about how children who learned through TV shows like Sesame Street from an early age did better in school, so you could have used Chaney or Bandura for it..

--
Found the questions for last year's section B

•6 (a) Outline one principle orconcept of the social area in psychology. (2)

•(b) Outline how Bocchiaroet al.’s study links to the social area of psychology. Support your answer withevidence from this study. (3)

•(c) Describe one way the individualdifferences area is different from the biological area. Use examples fromrelevant core studies to support your answer. (5)

•(d)* Discuss the strengths andweaknesses of breaking ethical principles. Use examples from relevant corestudies to support your answer. (12)

•(e) Describe one reason whyconducting reductionist research is useful. (3)

Oh yeah it was Seasame street. I dont know why I had social put down? I thought it was the soldier x stuff.
Can anyone help me with this question from last year's exam:
From Grant et al.’s study on context-dependent memory: Describe two ways the assessment of memory was standardised. (4)

I said the short answer (16) and multiple choice qs (10) but apparently, thats wrong.

Is it to do with how the 'noisy' group all heard the same cafeteria noise at the same volume and secondly how they all read from the same article on psychimmunology?
From Grant et al.’s study on context-dependent memory: Describe two ways the assessment of memory was standardised. (4)

I said the short answer (16) and multiple choice qs (10) but apparently, thats wrong.

Is it to do with how the 'noisy' group all heard the same cafeteria noise at the same volume and secondly how they all read from the same article on psychimmunology?

Yep and if you said everyone did the same 16 SAQs before the same 10 MCQs then you would get the mark. Keywords being everyone and same
Original post by Maxhaslam
Need a guide for how to answer the 'training programme' question in the core studies paper and evaluation of this programme.
Thanks.

I've attached a resource where an examiner analysed responses and answers to last year's exam. That section C question and sample answers are also on there (it won't always ask for a training programme). Hope it helps?:smile:
I'm so screwed if they ask for results. I find it so hard to remember all the numbers
Reply 350

It's the other way round - the short answer test is out of 10 and the mct was out of 16 :smile:
So the specimen paper section B was
-individual vs situational
-one study that can be considered under individual explanation
-evaluate usefulness of situational
-4 ethical considerations with individual explanation

Section C was to do with Peppa Pig and the developmental approach so like link to Bandura etc

Does anyone know what was in AS 2016 and 2017?
Original post by polaroidfilms
So the specimen paper section B was
-individual vs situational
-one study that can be considered under individual explanation
-evaluate usefulness of situational
-4 ethical considerations with individual explanation

Section C was to do with Peppa Pig and the developmental approach so like link to Bandura etc

Does anyone know what was in AS 2016 and 2017?

I tried making a list (could not do all of it)
But ill just write what i remember, update later.

Section C

Seasame street came up once, which was developmental again?? (i think that was AS 2016)

(Idk the 2017 one. I think someones posted it, cant remember.)

Soldier X came up on one of the specimen papers- so social/Milgram.

Effects of leading questions- (So cognitive/Loftus and Palmer)

Fear of baked beans- Psychodynamic? ( I think that was specimen paper 2)

(I have no idea where soldier x one and leading questions one came from??)

So It was developmental/Behaviourist this years specimen paper and last years as paper. I think that means its unlikely to come up?
Fear of baked beans was on the other specimen paper. Have no idea where the other two came from.

Section B:

Specimen 1: what you said.

AS 2017: I think it was comparing the social approach to the biological approach.
Original post by Kholmes1
I tried making a list (could not do all of it)
But ill just write what i remember, update later.

Section C

Seasame street came up once, which was developmental again?? (i think that was AS 2016)

(Idk the 2017 one. I think someones posted it, cant remember.)

Soldier X came up on one of the specimen papers- so social/Milgram.

Effects of leading questions- (So cognitive/Loftus and Palmer)

Fear of baked beans- Psychodynamic? ( I think that was specimen paper 2)

(I have no idea where soldier x one and leading questions one came from??)

So It was developmental/Behaviourist this years specimen paper and last years as paper. I think that means its unlikely to come up?
Fear of baked beans was on the other specimen paper. Have no idea where the other two came from.

Section B:

Specimen 1: what you said.

AS 2017: I think it was comparing the social approach to the biological approach.

Another specimen was based on developmental again. Extract was about Peppa Pig. I think they're completely rinsed Developmental out now so it genuinely might be biological or social this time.
My guess is it will be either Social to do with moral judgement or Biological to do with delay of gratification for section C. Section B maybe Cognitive Psych and questions about usefulness or individual/situational debate

--
Side note, does anyone know how to answer this question: 'Suggest one improvement that could be made to the study about listening by Moray'
Another specimen was based on developmental again. Extract was about Peppa Pig. I think they're completely rinsed Developmental out now so it genuinely might be biological or social this time.
My guess is it will be either Social to do with moral judgement or Biological to do with delay of gratification for section C. Section B maybe Cognitive Psych and questions about usefulness or individual/situational debate

--
Side note, does anyone know how to answer this question: 'Suggest one improvement that could be made to the study about listening by Moray'

As most of the papers for section c has been developmental, when you recommend something: its normal observe a model... or positive/negative reinforcement.

What would it be for biological/cognitive?? Could you do the same thing?
As most of the papers for section c has been developmental, when you recommend something: its normal observe a model... or positive/negative reinforcement.

What would it be for biological/cognitive?? Could you do the same thing?

Wait i'm a bit confused :biggrin: What were you referring to in both questions you asked?
Wait i'm a bit confused :biggrin: What were you referring to in both questions you asked?

So for section c, you're usually asked to come up with a recommendation or something for them to do then evaluate ti later. So for the pepperpig one, you could reinforce them if they did a good behavior or punish them if they did a bad behavior.

But obviously that was for developmental.

Do you know what things you could do if the extract was cognitive based or biological. Or could you do the same (operant conditioning)

I guess it depends on the actual extract though. As for one of the psychodynamic ones (The baked beans one) I wrote about reinforcement, ect..
So for section c, you're usually asked to come up with a recommendation or something for them to do then evaluate ti later. So for the pepperpig one, you could reinforce them if they did a good behavior or punish them if they did a bad behavior.

Do you know what things you could do if the extract was cognitive based or biological. Or could you do the same (operant conditioning)

I guess it depends on the actual extract though. As for one of the psychodynamic ones (The baked beans one) I wrote about reinforcement, ect..

Maybe we should come up with a few ideas for each area? Like for developmental (though it likely won't come up) the use of operant conditioning. For the individual differences one (baked beans) I wrote about systematic desensitisation. I feel like for all you could apply a form of education (ad campaign, classes for parents, teaching kids in school) for each area, and perhaps therapy for cognitive or biological?

Oh I see what you meant. The question 'Suggest one improvement that could be made to the study about listening by Moray' was actually a Section A question! I've seen it a few times before for Bandura's study too. But the answer is that they should have a larger sample (they only used 12 participants in one experiment and 14 in another) in order to increase generalisability :smile:

Individual Differences may have an extract based on psychopaths (that seems quite likely actually) or IQ tests (which would be easy to come up with a 'way of dealing with an issue' for.
Social could be to do with moral judgement. *edit - helping behaviour
Biological to do with delay of gratification
Cognitive may be one about visual inattention
Psychodynamic...if they've already done phobias I have no idea
Behaviourist - something related to Bandura's study
(edited 6 years ago)
Oh I see what you meant. The question 'Suggest one improvement that could be made to the study about listening by Moray' was actually a Section A question! I've seen it a few times before for Bandura's study too. But the answer is that they should have a larger sample (they only used 12 participants in one experiment and 14 in another) in order to increase generalisability :smile:

Individual Differences may have an extract based on psychopaths (that seems quite likely actually) or IQ tests (which would be easy to come up with a 'way of dealing with an issue' for.
Social could be to do with moral judgement
Biological to do with delay of gratification
Cognitive may be one about visual inattention
Psychodynamic...if they've already done phobias I have no idea
Behaviourist - something related to Bandura's study

So what kinds of things can we suggest other than SLT and operant conditioning, and maybe treatments for the other areas??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending