The Student Room Group

Sociology research methods practical issues with documents help???

It asked for two practical disadvantages and i said evidently access issues as schools may not allow for documents to be seen, and that there are evidently validity issues when using documents in research as you cannot prove their credibility if they're old / may be lying?
This question was really annoying - wish it had been something easier like participant observation or questionnaires.

I put something about how hard it would be for researchers to obtain personal documents like letters, and the issue of confidentiality with official documents.

Just a shame I ran out of time on this one.
Reply 2
Original post by poeticwhirlwind
This question was really annoying - wish it had been something easier like participant observation or questionnaires.

I put something about how hard it would be for researchers to obtain personal documents like letters, and the issue of confidentiality with official documents.

Just a shame I ran out of time on this one.

Did you think what i put are practical disadvantages? Its rather broad.. also, how did others find it that you knew? Did you evaluate with practical advantages?
Original post by jmounsey
Did you think what i put are practical disadvantages? Its rather broad.. also, how did others find it that you knew? Did you evaluate with practical advantages?

Gaining access to the documents definitely is a practical issue, but I'm not so sure about credibility. I think that one is more of a theoretical issue.

Practical issues normally relate to how easy it is to conduct the research; e.g. how limiting cost would be, how time-consuming it is.

My friend said she quite liked it, as it was quite a straightforward question.

It was only an 'outline and explain' question, so evaluation wasn't really necessary. The question was literally asking for two practical disadvantages and for you to explain them a little. If the question had been asking for you to 'analyse' then some evaluation might have helped.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Gaining access to the documents definitely is a practical issue, but I'm not so sure about credibility. I think that one is more of a theoretical issue.

Practical issues normally relate to how easy it is to conduct the research; e.g. how limiting cost would be, how time-consuming it is.

My friend said she quite liked it, as it was quite a straightforward question.

It was only an 'outline and explain' question, so evaluation wasn't really necessary. The question was literally asking for two practical disadvantages and for you to explain them a little. If the question had been asking for you to 'analyse' then some evaluation might have helped.

Could you have a look at my other question (what i wrote for the 30 marker) and see what you think? I've been stressing
Could you have a look at my other question (what i wrote for the 30 marker) and see what you think? I've been stressing

Of course. What did you write for the 30 marker?
Reply 6
I just did my paper one for sociology, it was on education with methods - for the 30 marker the question was regarding the role of education in transmitting ideas and values - of which i argued regarding functionalism v marxism, then functionalism in terms of role allocation arguing against it saying the 'role allocation' actually benefits men, i.e women into caring roles benefits men in te home as they act as a pressure valve for men in terms of marxist feminism. Then how education's ideas are now more diverse and arent as structured and reflect that we are in a post fordist system and the inclusion of faith schools are a key example of how education is becoming more diverse. But in the end, schools values and ideas benefit the middle classes more as the middle classes have the cultural capital and benefit the most- thus their is a myth of meritocracy that despite schools becoming more diverse, the class structure is still upheld.
Reply 7
Of course. What did you write for the 30 marker?

I just did my paper one for sociology, it was on education with methods - for the 30 marker the question was regarding the role of education in transmitting ideas and values - of which i argued regarding functionalism v marxism, then functionalism in terms of role allocation arguing against it saying the 'role allocation' actually benefits men, i.e women into caring roles benefits men in te home as they act as a pressure valve for men in terms of marxist feminism. Then how education's ideas are now more diverse and arent as structured and reflect that we are in a post fordist system and the inclusion of faith schools are a key example of how education is becoming more diverse. But in the end, schools values and ideas benefit the middle classes more as the middle classes have the cultural capital and benefit the most- thus their is a myth of meritocracy that despite schools becoming more diverse, the class structure is still upheld.
Sounds good to me! You included the main arguments of ideology/values from functionalist, Marxist and feminist perspectives, like I did. I think I wrote something about postmodernism as well, but I'm not sure how relevant it was to be honest.
Reply 9
Sounds good to me! You included the main arguments of ideology/values from functionalist, Marxist and feminist perspectives, like I did. I think I wrote something about postmodernism as well, but I'm not sure how relevant it was to be honest.

How many theorists did you use? I didn't use any for post moderism arg, just policies after 2010 - and i wasnt sure who argued regarding marxist feminism for my point, but do you think the concepts are more important than the names?
How many theorists did you use? I didn't use any for post moderism arg, just policies after 2010 - and i wasnt sure who argued regarding marxist feminism for my point, but do you think the concepts are more important than the names?

I used Durkheim and Parsons for functionalism, and Althusser and Bowles and Gintis for Marxism. You could have used Fran Ansley for the Marxist feminist 'pressure valve' argument - she described women as 'takers of ****' upon whom men would release their frustrations at experiencing alienation in employment.

I definitely think that the concepts are more important than the names. The concepts can be used to create a good argument, and the names are just bonus points.
Reply 11
I used Durkheim and Parsons for functionalism, and Althusser and Bowles and Gintis for Marxism. You could have used Fran Ansley for the Marxist feminist 'pressure valve' argument - she described women as 'takers of ****' upon whom men would release their frustrations at experiencing alienation in employment.

I definitely think that the concepts are more important than the names. The concepts can be used to create a good argument, and the names are just bonus points.

You're right.. i've learnt a good lesson that if i think it is the correct name for the concept, that it probably is - need to trust myself. I was debating in my head thinking it was Eli Zaretsky, but I'm happy i got the concept in. How are you feeling for thursday? Do you do Family and Media?
You're right.. i've learnt a good lesson that if i think it is the correct name for the concept, that it probably is - need to trust myself. I was debating in my head thinking it was Eli Zaretsky, but I'm happy i got the concept in. How are you feeling for thursday? Do you do Family and Media?

Definitely the way to go. Even if it isn't the right one, you can't lose marks for putting it. Not too great, if I'm honest, but hopefully I'll get all the information into my head before the exam. How are you feeling about it? I do family, with beliefs in society instead of media.
Reply 13
Definitely the way to go. Even if it isn't the right one, you can't lose marks for putting it. Not too great, if I'm honest, but hopefully I'll get all the information into my head before the exam. How are you feeling about it? I do family, with beliefs in society instead of media.

The theorists have been good and remember able in education / methods / mainly for family - but Media (and probably for the same with beliefs) is that the names are forgettable. There are no stand alone big names like there are in education, so its proving a challenge to remember them at all.. Do you feel the same?
The theorists have been good and remember able in education / methods / mainly for family - but Media (and probably for the same with beliefs) is that the names are forgettable. There are no stand alone big names like there are in education, so its proving a challenge to remember them at all.. Do you feel the same?

Yeah I have to say that education and family are easier to remember (maybe because I've been over them more). But I'm sure it'll be okay

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending