The Student Room Group

Edexcel 9-1 GCSE Maths (Higher) - 2017 Paper 3 [Official Thread] 13 June

This poll is closed

How did you find the 2017 Edexcel 9-1 Maths Paper 3 exam?

Amazing! :woo: 22%
Good :H 30%
Okay :bebored: 28%
Bad :cry2: 11%
HORRIBLE PAPER!! :@9%
Total votes: 1024
UNOFFICIAL MARK SCHEME

Welcome to the,

Edexcel 9-1 GCSE Maths Discussion Thread [2017] - Paper 3

This thread is for discussing anything regarding the upcoming 9-1 Maths exams, specifically for the Edexcel exam board. We'll be the first cohort to sit this exam, so naturally there's a lack of information and past material; I've collated some resources below to help. :smile:

Exam dates (all dates are AM)

Paper 1 (non-calculator) - 25th May 2017

Paper 2 (calculator) - 8th June 2017

Paper 3 (calculator) - 13th June 2017

A few important notes

We don't know, nor can we accurately predict any grade boundaries. It can be taken for granted that the grade boundaries of the new specification will be lower than that of the old specification.

The large majority of students are struggling with the new specification. If you're finding it difficult, you are not alone!

The difficulty of the papers will be roughly in line with that of the specimen material. I would suggest that it will resemble the mock material, though this is debatable.

A 9 certainly is not impossible to achieve, so don't think that you can't get one if you're an able student!

To address queries regarding grades
See this image, from Ofqual, for the estimated grade distribution for the new GCSEs in Maths and English.

Ofqual has offered the following information about grades:

Spoiler

Resources

Spoiler

Questions to get the ball rolling

How have you found the new specification so far?

How have you found the sample assessment material?

How are you feeling about the upcoming exams?

Which topics have you found the most difficult?

:woo: Good luck! :woo:

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Harder than 2 for me, seemed to get easier as the paper went on though, which is strange.
Think that's my best paper. Come out the hall and everyone else hated it though...

How about you guys?
Reply 3
What did you guys get for the length of the arc ABC?
Loved that paper so much best by far!😁
Original post by BadrH10

The angle of the arc was like 270-272 (in decimals tho). You had to do Pi x Diameter x 270-272 / 360
Reply 6
Went better than paper 1 and 2
Reply 7
Original post by BadrH10

I got 21.6
Reply 8
Original post by DD2508
I got 21.6

Same
think t was alright answered more questions than i thought i could, but generally i think paper 2 was alittle easier than this
what did you get for the quadratic question near the end? i got x=0.5 and x=-2
Original post by issyyyyyy
what did you get for the quadratic question near the end? i got x=0.5 and x=-2

I did as well
Original post by BadrH10

i found out the circumference then stopped coz i knew nothing with circle theorems :biggrin: hope i helped alittle
I got that yeah
Original post by BadrH10

It was around 123 / 360 times ( 10 π ) = around 10.7? I may have remembered something wrong though.
Hi guys! So the exam just finished ten minutes ago. I think the timing was just about right, perhaps I personally just managed the timing.

How did you guys find the paper overall? I think it was the best paper out of all three. Despite 3-4 questions towards the end, I think it was fairly ok, though with the hard 5markers I believe I can get a few carry on (working out) marks. Honestly if I get above 30+ hopefully I can secure a 5, making that a total of around 90+, that has got a B before.

Anyways, comment your feedback and thoughts on this paper!
Worst one so far, I think I only got 65-70 on this one :frown:
I think this was a lot easier compared to the other 2, and I hope that my marks on this will make up for the other 2 exams where I missed a couple of questions. Still hoping for an 8 fingers crossed :smile:
Original post by Harrison.B 15
I also found it the easiest of all the papers. There were some questions I had no idea on and I couldn't even do the simulataneous equation near the start but it was only 3 marks and I might have got 1 or 2 for working out.

Also what did everyone put for the question on the last page at the top. I put 0,180 as a total guess. But then I saw a lot of people put 0,0 and I realised that's probably right.

No, 0,1 because anything to the power of 0 will always be 1

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending