The Student Room Group

OCR 21st Century GCSE Science - C4 C5 C6 - 14th June 2017

B1B2B3 C1C2C3 P1P2P3 B4B5B6 C4C5C6 P4P5P6

Hi All
I thought it would be useful to have a thread in which we can all discuss the 2017 Science exams. We can help each other with areas of weaknesses, as well as discuss how we are feeling about the exam, etc.
Also, if you have any useful resources or predictions to share, please do as it will benefit others. If you need any resources, just ask and hopefully someone will be able to send them.
All the best with revision and the exams!

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Sounds like a good idea to me. I'm currently really stressed about Chemistry because we haven't even finished C5 when most classes have finished C6!
Reply 2
Original post by DeepInTheMeadow
Sounds like a good idea to me. I'm currently really stressed about Chemistry because we haven't even finished C5 when most classes have finished C6!

Do you have a revision guide? If so I would definitely recommend trying to teach yourself the rest of C5 and C6 as we finished a while ago. C5 isn't really hard, there's just a few equations to learn with concentration, number of moles, etc. C6 is also a short module so it shouldn't be too difficult.
Reply 3

In my school, we did all the core science in year 9 and additional in year 10. The end of year 10 and beginning of year 11 was spent on coursework. We are now doing pure revision.
If you are still on C5, I think you should talk to your teacher and ask for an estimation on when you will finish all of the required modules.
It doesn't sound like you will have a lot of time to revise, so you need to ensure you are revising all your other modules. You can either leave revising C5 and C6 for the end, or you can try and teach these modules to yourself and ask your teacher to help you in any areas that you might not understand.
Good Luck :smile:
Original post by Emmy_Girl
In my school, we did all the core science in year 9 and additional in year 10. The end of year 10 and beginning of year 11 was spent on coursework. We are now doing pure revision.
If you are still on C5, I think you should talk to your teacher and ask for an estimation on when you will finish all of the required modules.
It doesn't sound like you will have a lot of time to revise, so you need to ensure you are revising all your other modules. You can either leave revising C5 and C6 for the end, or you can try and teach these modules to yourself and ask your teacher to help you in any areas that you might not understand.
Good Luck :smile:

It would have been good for our school to have done that too but tbh it's a terrible school so...
Our teacher is very slow at teaching- he plans to finish C6 the week before our exam and we are two weeks behind his plan! I am definitely planning to teach myself C6 because i's worrying.
Reply 5
It would have been good for our school to have done that too but tbh it's a terrible school so...
Our teacher is very slow at teaching- he plans to finish C6 the week before our exam and we are two weeks behind his plan! I am definitely planning to teach myself C6 because i's worrying.

I completely agree that you should teach C6 to yourself, because if you didn't get to finish it in class, at least you would already know it from your own independant learning. It's great that you are taking responsibilty for your own learning. If you need any help at all, feel free to leave a message on this thread.
Good Luck
Any 6 Marker Predictions?
same my teacher hasn't finished C5 I guess most teachers are behind
We haven't done c5 either
Anyone have the c4 c5 c6 2016 paper?
In terms of identifying positive and negative ions, do we just have to basically be able to use the qualitative data sheet? That's all right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JacobPowell
In terms of identifying positive and negative ions, do we just have to basically be able to use the qualitative data sheet? That's all right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah and just know to test metal ions you add an alkali and an insoluble hydroxide will be formed with a characteristic colour, and with negative ions you add a reagent and and insoluble solid will be formed.
Original post by nish2910
yeah and just know to test metal ions you add an alkali and an insoluble hydroxide will be formed with a characteristic colour, and with negative ions you add a reagent and and insoluble solid will be formed.

does anyone have predictions for tommorows chemistry paper
Reply 13
Original post by Lily 565
does anyone have predictions for tommorows chemistry paper

I predict that there might be a question about minerals and ores, because I've not seen any questions related to them in any past papers
I think rates of reaction. Also, don't be thrown off if the paper is in a weird order like Biology, as that threw a few of my friends off last Friday.
Original post by LlamaLikeEllie
I think rates of reaction. Also, don't be thrown off if the paper is in a weird order like Biology, as that threw a few of my friends off last Friday.

rates of reaction meaning what? what did you have in mind?
also maybe a 6 marker on collision theory as i don't think that's come before
Anyone have the 2016 paper so I can form predictions? I predicted all of the topics in the B456 paper.
Original post by TheMightyBadger
Anyone have the 2016 paper so I can form predictions? I predicted all of the topics in the B456 paper.

PM'd you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Grade Boundaries Past 5 Exams To Get An A*:
2016: 39
2015: 40
2014: 43
2013: 41
2012: 43
Average: 41
Try Aim To Get Over 44 In My Opinion
Original post by mathurshan1210