The Student Room Group

OCR AL Psychology (New): Research methods H167/1 & H567/1 - 15 May & 07 Jun 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by schoolgirl1
So what kinds of things can we suggest other than SLT and operant conditioning, and maybe treatments for the other areas??

I'm struggling for cognitive and biological but another suggestion for individual differences would be segregation. for the evaluation you could say that it could lead to a more efficient society but weaknesses would include cost and ethical concerns.

Does anyone have any suggestions on applications for things like memory, attention, brain plasticity or regions of the brain?
any core studies questions besides the spec papers?
can someone explain experiment 1 for morays ? i've been through my notes but i'm just confused what the IVs actually are lol i think my brains turned to mush
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Virolite
any core studies questions besides the spec papers?

you could go through this?
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/295312-component-2-psychological-themes-through-core-studies-question-bank.pdf

and replace gaps with debates/studies/issues to make your own qs
Original post by fudgecake7777
you could go through this?
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/295312-component-2-psychological-themes-through-core-studies-question-bank.pdf

and replace gaps with debates/studies/issues to make your own qs

questions too generic but thanks
can anyone post their q plans for the debates essay? most of my points end up being practical applications and i'm struggling to think of others?
Reply 366
can anyone post their q plans for the debates essay? most of my points end up being practical applications and i'm struggling to think of others?

I have NO application at all, could you post them?

I have some essay plans that I'll post once I find them.
can someone explain experiment 1 for morays ? i've been through my notes but i'm just confused what the IVs actually are lol i think my brains turned to mush

The ppts had to shadow a prose message in the attended ear whilst a simple list of 35 words were repeated in the unattended ear.

Experiment was repeated measures.

IVs- the shadowed message, the rejected message and a control
DVs- asked to recall all they could from the unattended message, they were then given a recognition test (contained words from both the shadowed and rejected message, but also control words that hadn't been said at all)

Results- mean number of words recognised out of 7
shadowed 4.9
rejected 1.9
control 2.6
Fair to say that if Blakemore and Cooper come up in any question worth more than 2 marks tomorrow I'm done tbh
can someone outline Sperry's study like they would in the exam? There's a lot in that study and I don't really know which bits are relevant and which bits aren't.
Original post by LenniesRabbit
Fair to say that if Blakemore and Cooper come up in any question worth more than 2 marks tomorrow I'm done tbh

Why? That's one of my favourite studies. Short and sweet.
I'm confused about Grant's sample. 8 psychology students recruited 5 acquaintances each to be participants. I thought this was a snowball sample as the researcher only had to find the first few people to choose the other participants. My textbook says it is opportunity sampling. Can someone clear this up for me?
Original post by LenniesRabbit
Oh I see what you meant. The question 'Suggest one improvement that could be made to the study about listening by Moray' was actually a Section A question! I've seen it a few times before for Bandura's study too. But the answer is that they should have a larger sample (they only used 12 participants in one experiment and 14 in another) in order to increase generalisability :smile:

Individual Differences may have an extract based on psychopaths (that seems quite likely actually) or IQ tests (which would be easy to come up with a 'way of dealing with an issue' for.
Social could be to do with moral judgement. *edit - helping behaviour
Biological to do with delay of gratification
Cognitive may be one about visual inattention
Psychodynamic...if they've already done phobias I have no idea
Behaviourist - something related to Bandura's study

If IQ testing came up then, what would be the ways of dealing with it? confused
Original post by clairebear101
If IQ testing came up then, what would be the ways of dealing with it? confused

Perhaps having the test available in a range of languages so that those who dod not speak english as their first language are not at a disadvantage (weakness is that this could act as an extraneous variable and skew results)

Or the test could be completely done in non verbal reasoning in an attempt to eliminate cultural bias (there is a chance of cultural bias still interfering but this allows for objective data to be collected in the form of quantitative data which is easier to analyse)
Original post by DrawTheLine
I'm confused about Grant's sample. 8 psychology students recruited 5 acquaintances each to be participants. I thought this was a snowball sample as the researcher only had to find the first few people to choose the other participants. My textbook says it is opportunity sampling. Can someone clear this up for me?

The 8 psychology students were not participants, they just had to find some participants each. It's only snowball if participants are asked to find other participants.
Original post by StressedCoffee
The 8 psychology students were not participants, they just had to find some participants each. It's only snowball if participants are asked to find other participants.

Brilliant that makes sense. Thank you!
Original post by Virolite
questions too generic but thanks

Compare the biological approach with the cognitive approach (12 marks)
Discuss the strengths and weaknesses of the behaviourist perspective to explain behaviour(12 marks)
Discuss the strengths and limitations of research that is considered reductionist (12 marks)
Discuss the strengths and limitations of research that takes the nature side of the nature/nurture debate (12 marks) To what extent is using experiments useful in psychological research?
(12 marks)
To what extent is the biological approach useful in psychology? (12 marks)
Discuss the strengths and limitations of conducting research that is considered holistic? (12 marks)
Discuss the strengths and limitations of using the cognitive approach to explain behaviour (12 marks)
Discuss the extent to which psychology can be viewed as deterministic (12 marks)
Discuss the extent to which psychology can be viewed as a science (12 marks)
Discuss the strengths and weaknesses of the behaviourist perspective to explain behaviour(12 marks)
Discuss the strengths and limitations of research that is considered reductionist (12 marks)
Discuss the strengths and limitations of research that takes the nature side of the nature/nurture debate (12 marks) To what extent is using experiments useful in psychological research?
(12 marks)
Discuss the strengths and limitations of conducting research that is considered holistic? (12 marks)
Discuss the strengths and limitations of using the cognitive approach to explain behaviour (12 marks)
Discuss the extent to which psychology can be viewed as deterministic (12 marks)

cheers lad!
(12 marks)

Hi, what would you do for conduction research that is holistic??
Does anyone have a model answer or anything for that question.
Original post by StressedCoffee
can someone outline Sperry's study like they would in the exam? There's a lot in that study and I don't really know which bits are relevant and which bits aren't.

Sperry's study tested whether cognition, perception and memory differed between the hemispheres by using several tasks involving visual and tactile stimuli. He tested a sample of 11 epileptic patients who had undergone full hemispheric deconnections (commisorotomies) and compared them to normal non-split brain people. An example of a procedure was: a visual stimulus was flashed for 1/10th of a second to one visual field, then again to either the same or different visual field and participants were asked if they recognised the image (they only recognised images presented to the same visual field). Overall, Sperry concluded that perception and memory is independent to each hemisphere in split brain patients and information cannot cross to the non-receiving hemisphere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending