The Student Room Group

Plagiarism Accusation Hearing

Hi all,

I am in my last year on a law course, and for one of my modules we had to submit a 4000 word essay. I did so, however one day before the results were due to posted, I got a letter saying there is evidence of plagiarism in my coursework and that I have to attend a hearing in front of the faculty.

I have looked back through it and there are two paragraphs that are highlighted; however, both paragraphs are paragraphs of pure legal regulation, and I am not sure how I could have changed that, I put that as is, into my coursework and then added the relevant reference as a footnote. One of the paragraphs is a paragraph which I used bits from the lecture slides we had given, on the lecture slides it is word for word what it says on the Gov website, and thus I was under the impression I could use it. Even still, I referenced the powerpoint in my bibliography and added a footnote after the paragraph.

I had no intention of plagiarising. I wrote it myself, I have referenced/footnoted almost everything that should be and used quote marks when needed. The highest the likes if Quetext and Unplag gave me were 15%, a lot of which was my bibliography and footnotes. Though apparently Turnitin gave it 35%, 15% of which was footnotes, and bibliography and it highlighted parts that were referenced.

The problem could be that those two chunks are essentially word for word what the government website says, but as I said its legal regulation, thus I am not sure how I could change the words of what the law says?

As I am in my third year, I am very stressed about the outcome of this as it could jeopardise my entire degree.

Any advice or help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by StressedUniMan
Hi all,

I am in my last year on a law course, and for one of my modules we had to submit a 4000 word essay. I did so, however one day before the results were due to posted, I got a letter saying there is evidence of plagiarism in my coursework and that I have to attend a hearing in front of the faculty.

I have looked back through it and there are two paragraphs that are highlighted; however, both paragraphs are paragraphs of pure legal regulation, and I am not sure how I could have changed that, I put that as is, into my coursework and then added the relevant reference as a footnote. One of the paragraphs is a paragraph which I used bits from the lecture slides we had given, on the lecture slides it is word for word what it says on the Gov website, and thus I was under the impression I could use it. Even still, I referenced the powerpoint in my bibliography and added a footnote after the paragraph.

I had no intention of plagiarising. I wrote it myself, I have referenced/footnoted almost everything that should be and used quote marks when needed. The highest the likes if Quetext and Unplag gave me were 15%, a lot of which was my bibliography and footnotes. Though apparently Turnitin gave it 35%, 15% of which was footnotes, and bibliography and it highlighted parts that were referenced.

The problem could be that those two chunks are essentially word for word what the government website says, but as I said its legal regulation, thus I am not sure how I could change the words of what the law says?

As I am in my third year, I am very stressed about the outcome of this as it could jeopardise my entire degree.

Any advice or help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

You may have quoted it incorrectly, also I'm not sure that referencing a powerpoint was wise - you should have taken it from the original source material.

Just go hear what they say. If it's a genuine error then these things are usually rectified.
Original post by Friffinghell
You may have quoted it incorrectly, also I'm not sure that referencing a powerpoint was wise - you should have taken it from the original source material.

Just go hear what they say. If it's a genuine error then these things are usually rectified.

Thank you for your response!

When I say I referenced the powerpoint, I mean I added it into my bibliography, just to be on the safe side, the powerpoint is a word for word copy of the government website.In the main essay I have referenced the actual source.
Thank you for your response!

When I say I referenced the powerpoint, I mean I added it into my bibliography, just to be on the safe side, the powerpoint is a word for word copy of the government website.In the main essay I have referenced the actual source.

Did you reference the actual source in the bibliography as well? It could be something as niggly as this tripping it up.
Original post by Friffinghell
Did you reference the actual source in the bibliography as well? It could be something as niggly as this tripping it up.

Yes, in the bibliography and footnotes both, the original source is referenced.
Reply 5
I had to go to a plagiarism meeting cos I copy and pasted a lot of things from journals for my literature review and they gave me a mark of 0 so I failed it in this end this is for my final yr project as well and they want me to resit it now
Original post by meangirl22
I had to go to a plagiarism meeting cos I copy and pasted a lot of things from journals for my literature review and they gave me a mark of 0 so I failed it in this end this is for my final yr project as well and they want me to resit it now

That's not great! At least you can re submit it! I hope they give me such a option. Is yours capped at 40%?

When you say copy and paste, did you reference it?
Reply 7
That's not great! At least you can re submit it! I hope they give me such a option. Is yours capped at 40%?

When you say copy and paste, did you reference it?

I did reference it but I was still supposed to write it in my own words and the turn it in percentage was 51% so it too high and yes the resit is capped at 40%.
I did reference it but I was still supposed to write it in my own words and the turn it in percentage was 51% so it too high and yes the resit is capped at 40%.

Ah, fair enough! Best of luck with your re sit!

Are they still letting you graduate?
Reply 9
Ah, fair enough! Best of luck with your re sit!

Are they still letting you graduate?

I don't know because they havent said if I can resit it or not yet and I've failed a couple of other courseworks so I may just end up with a certificate of higher education
I don't know because they havent said if I can resit it or not yet and I've failed a couple of other courseworks so I may just end up with a certificate of higher education

Ah, fair enough, well, best wishes and I hope it works out for the best.
Reply 11
Ah, fair enough, well, best wishes and I hope it works out for the best.

What happened with your situation in the end mate? Think I am in a similar situation myself..

Quick Reply

Latest