The Student Room Group

Need help deciding my options....

well i am really struggling with maths.... but want to become a doctor, my science is safe and good but for a level do I HAVE TO take maths... because i feel like that's a risk. so question: is it vital to take maths at A level, AND if not then what is more preferred?????

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dddddd2
well i am really struggling with maths.... but want to become a doctor, my science is safe and good but for a level do I HAVE TO take maths... because i feel like that's a risk. so question: is it vital to take maths at A level, AND if not then what is more preferred?????

I'm going to move this to medicine as it's not my field of expertise but if you have biology and chemistry and think you're okay.
Nope maths is not vital. Do bio, chem plus whichever subject you enjoy and will get an A/A* in.
Reply 3
You must do Bio & Chem for Medicine, third option can literally be anything.
Reply 4
Original post by StationToStation
Nope maths is not vital. Do bio, chem plus whichever subject you enjoy and will get an A/A* in.

THANK YOU SO MUCH
well thats utterly good as i literally scratched my gcse maths.....hoping for good....
Reply 5
Original post by SyedHB
You must do Bio & Chem for Medicine, third option can literally be anything.

THANK YOU, what would you advice, as i am defo taking chem and bio plus i enjoy them so thats a bonus, but in ur opinion what would a better third option btw geo history and psychology are NO'S!!! something that could be an extra but still help...........
Reply 6
Original post by dddddd2
THANK YOU, what would you advice, as i am defo taking chem and bio plus i enjoy them so thats a bonus, but in ur opinion what would a better third option btw geo history and psychology are NO'S!!! something that could be an extra but still help...........

Physics would be the top choice. However, as long as you have Biology and Chemistry, pretty much any facilitating essay-based subject like English Literature and Philosophy works too. Languages are also fine.
Reply 7
Original post by dddddd2

Business A level as a third option.

I've emailed the admissions department for Medicine at the University of Manchester and other Russell group universities; and can confirm that Business A level is a "rigorous" subject, therefore accepted by medical schools as a third option.

Good luck, just remember to pick what you like because you're more likely to excel in something you enjoy.
Reply 8
Original post by dddddd2

Choose something you are interested in, that you enjoy and are therefore likely to do well in.
Not a single med school asks for maths.

They may well have a minimum maths GCSE requirement though - i hope by "scratched" you don't mean it went too badly...
Reply 10
Hey :-) Maths is not essential, just do something you enjoy/you are good at in addition to chem and bio.

Alex, 4th year UCL medic
6med
Original post by nexttime

They may well have a minimum maths GCSE requirement though - i hope by "scratched" you don't mean it went too badly...

PRSOM

This.

You don't need an A level but most will have a minimum GCSE requirement.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by 6med
Hey :-) Maths is not essential, just do something you enjoy/you are good at in addition to chem and bio.

Alex, 4th year UCL medic
6med

LOVELY..... yes chem and bio are defo my options i might take english language as replace for maths.........hope that's fine.........
As long as OCR (New spec A) is not your exam board for Biology and Chemistry, then you're ok.
Reply 14
Original post by Angury
Choose something you are interested in, that you enjoy and are therefore likely to do well in.

Excluding chem and bio i can only think of English language as one that i would like............
Reply 15
Original post by johnny0121
As long as OCR (New spec A) is not your exam board for Biology and Chemistry, then you're ok.

why??
Reply 16
Original post by nexttime

#

what is their minimum requirement?? well i just did my exam so..........
Reply 17
Original post by SyedHB
Business A level as a third option.

I've emailed the admissions department for Medicine at the University of Manchester and other Russell group universities; and can confirm that Business A level is a "rigorous" subject, therefore accepted by medical schools as a third option.

Good luck, just remember to pick what you like because you're more likely to excel in something you enjoy.

Oh ok!!! Thank you, but i feel like i will take English language as business was the subject that i avoided in high school as well.......:frown: but is english language still accepted as a third option???
Reply 18
THANK YOU everyone for your replies...... really really helped me out!!!
Reply 19
Does anyone know about any good work experience places for me to get good preferred work experience which the medical schools would like??? like does it have to be a care home or hospital experience???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending