The Student Room Group

Universities with lowest number of applicants per place

Hey all! I intend to apply to medical school this year and in order to have the highest chance of becoming a med student I want to apply to universities with a low number of applicants per place. I have been struggling to find up to date and reliable information regarding this and I was wondering whether anyone could help?! Thanks a lot in advance.
Here is some info although admittedly it's not perfectly up to date: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/courses/medicine/medical-school-competition-ratios

If I were you I wouldn't focus too much on these ratios though. The key thing is to apply to places that focus on the strengths of your application - some places are heavy on grades, some the UKCAT, some the BMAT, some the ps, most some combination of these. :smile:
Reply 2
Hello there!

Regretfully I don't think this is the most sensible approach to applying to medicine. Medicine is a rather self-selecting application and it would be far wiser to apply according to your application's strengths, rather than population statistics. I definitely think that would greatly improve your chances.
Reply 3
Original post by StationToStation
Here is some info although admittedly it's not perfectly up to date: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/courses/medicine/medical-school-competition-ratios

If I were you I wouldn't focus too much on these ratios though. The key thing is to apply to places that focus on the strengths of your application - some places are heavy on grades, some the UKCAT, some the BMAT, some the ps, most some combination of these. :smile:

Hey there, thanks for your response. How do I find out which universities focus on the the strengths of my applications?

If I was to pin down the biggest strength in my application at the moment, it would have to be my volunteering/work experience as I have invested hundreds of hours in St John Ambulance. I have provided first aid cover for many events and have attended training sessions for around 3 years. Are there medical schools out there that particularly value such experience?
Reply 4
Original post by .S.K.T.
Hello there!

Regretfully I don't think this is the most sensible approach to applying to medicine. Medicine is a rather self-selecting application and it would be far wiser to apply according to your application's strengths, rather than population statistics. I definitely think that would greatly improve your chances.

Thanks a lot for your response! I have the same question for you, how do I find out which universities value my strengths most?
Original post by Maciek44
Hey there, thanks for your response. How do I find out which universities focus on the the strengths of my applications?

If I was to pin down the biggest strength in my application at the moment, it would have to be my volunteering/work experience as I have invested hundreds of hours in St John Ambulance. I have provided first aid cover for many events and have attended training sessions for around 3 years. Are there medical schools out there that particularly value such experience?

Tbh you just have to do the research. Here (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths) is some info but some of it is pretty outdated as well. E.g. Bristol and Leeds focus quite a lot on your personal statement so if you can reflect well on your volunteering then those might be good unis to apply to. Your UKCAT and BMAT will be big factors so imo you should probably wait to know your scores before deciding where to apply to. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by StationToStation
Tbh you just have to do the research. Here (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths) is some info but some of it is pretty outdated as well. E.g. Bristol and Leeds focus quite a lot on your personal statement so if you can reflect well on your volunteering then those might be good unis to apply to. Your UKCAT and BMAT will be big factors so imo you should probably wait to know your scores before deciding where to apply to. :smile:

Thanks a lot for all your help :smile:
Reply 7
Thanks a lot for your response! I have the same question for you, how do I find out which universities value my strengths most?

I would strongly advise keeping a note book and go through each university systematically looking at:
- Grade requirements
- How they use the personal statement
- How they view UKCAT / BMAT
- What they use to select for interview?
- How they interview?
- How they decide on who gets in after interview ?

Ultimately you will find every medical school does it differently. For example, I attend Dundee Medical School. We do not use the personal statement for interview selection, and select the top 600 for interviews based on A-levels and UKCAT, with the SJT score factored in.
Our interview however is the biggest deciding factor. You are given a clean slate at interview and take our 2 hour MMI interview, where your personal statement will be questioned. Candidates are then ranked based on their interview and the top 250-300 will be given offers.

My biggest piece of advice is that you phone the admissions offices of the medical school. Tell them your grades etc and ask if they think you stand a chance.
(edited 6 years ago)

Hi there!

In answer to some of your questions, you can find out a bit more on which medical schools use which part of your application on our pages below:

- How Do Medical Schools Use Your Personal Statement
- Medical School Work Experience Requirements
- Medical School Comparison Tool (you can use this to find out how schools use the UKCAT and BMAT)

Hope this helps! :smile:
The Medic Portal

I'm not sure where I read it but I believe that at least one university has stopped regarding SJA volunteering as work experience (maybe St George's).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending