The Student Room Group

AQA A-level Economics new 7136 - 06, 13 & 19 Jun 2017 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

are we limited to 16 marks if we dont include 3 points/policies per 25 mark essay? please someone?
Original post by CameroSJ
For the 9 mark on context 2, I shifted LRAS right instead of SRAS. Will I still get max marks for explaining it well?

No diagram is "wrong" in economics, you just need an explanation that makes sense. If you used LRAS and your explanation makes sense then it's fine, since it wasn't specified they wanted the SRAS curve (although it was clear to me that that was the one they wanted to see).
Original post by PFD
I said increase in exchange rate, higher inflation than other countries and lower quality of products.

Comparative advantage from free trade meaning you may export more than another good such as UK with a comp advantage in financial services.

Protectionism in the form of tariffs from other countries may affect the pattern of trade

and the quality and price of goods
Original post by brownboy123
are we limited to 16 marks if we dont include 3 points/policies per 25 mark essay? please someone?

well I hope not considering I have done the format- intro 1 point eval 2 point eval conclusion for the last 2 years
Reply 804
Original post by junky27
Comparative advantage from free trade meaning you may export more than another good such as UK with a comp advantage in financial services.

Protectionism in the form of tariffs from other countries may affect the pattern of trade

and the quality and price of goods

Sounds good, more complex than my points hahaha
Original post by junky27
Maths q- 7.23 % something along them lines

Export subsidies- Defined the terms then said how they can be given to firms across the economy to increase quality of exports thus reducing price. The lower cost of production from firm due to subsidies leads to increase AS and lower price exports.

Then did how AD would increase as exports more price competitive leading to further economic growth.

Then mentioned how export subsidies would not be as effective if demand for imports was price inelastic

25 marker-
defined the terms

1st arg- quoted the source on how India were reliant on other countries etc. Did a paragraph on how the government should take control by implementing a tariff. This may make exports more competitive in the domestic economy leading to increase AD.

evaluated- strong- export led multiplier if the marginal propensity to consume is high and thus development may increase economically by a large extent as incomes would rise. Weak- demand for imports may be inelastic and thus strategic and infant industries may not improve resulting in less development. Final judgement- don't use government approach as tariffs can lead to retaliation which may hinder development and used china and isa devaluation war as example of retaliation.

2nd arg- market approaches best- free trade and liberalisation- increase movement of MNCs such as Nike. Provide job opportunities in countries like india- increase employment reduction natural rate of employment and larger development

Diagram- increase supply labour and fall in voluntary unemployment

strong- something from source
weak- keynesiansm argues that the supply of labour may not result in higher employment in these areas if there is a lack of demand and thus keynesian demand side management as a method to improve development is best. Did diagram with fine tuned AD and opt gdp low inflation and max unemployment

conclusion- supply side policies may be most effective and compared args etc.

I missed out a bit but i feel like that is awful haha

Holy heeeeeelllll I did not write any of that omg :frown:
I talked about micro finance as a market policy
Said the affect it would have on quality of life
Reduce poverty increase access to education increase lr growth blah blah
But evaluated badly

Said that protecionism was needed to prevent power of mncs and that goverments had to intervene said something similar but forgot the retaliation point. Talked about goverment failure like it was a micro exam :/

Talked about privatisation mentioned similar points

Lol I flopped
Original post by physicsamor
Just someone give me comfort that micro finance Is a market based policies because I based my entire essay on that also talked about privatisation and then protecionism as argueing for intervention by governments
So much crap
I didn't even used a tariff diagram because my essay was getting way too long :frown:

I missed out a bit but from what I remember this is what I did: it feels awful to me

Export subsidies- Defined the terms then said how they can be given to firms across the economy to increase quality of exports thus reducing price. The lower cost of production from firm due to subsidies leads to increase AS and lower price exports.

Then did how AD would increase as exports more price competitive leading to further economic growth.

Then mentioned how export subsidies would not be as effective if demand for imports was price inelastic

(2 diagrams shifting AS and shift AD)

25 marker- defined the terms

1st arg- quoted the source on how India were reliant on other countries etc. Did a paragraph on how the government should take control by implementing a tariff. This may make exports more competitive in the domestic economy leading to increase AD.

evaluated- strong- export led multiplier if the marginal propensity to consume is high and thus development may increase economically by a large extent as incomes would rise. Weak- demand for imports may be inelastic and thus strategic and infant industries may not improve resulting in less development. Final judgement- don't use government approach as tariffs can lead to retaliation which may hinder development and used china and isa devaluation war as example of retaliation.

2nd arg- market approaches best- free trade and liberalisation- increase movement of MNCs such as Nike. Provide job opportunities in countries like india- increase employment reduction natural rate of employment and larger development

Diagram- increase supply labour and fall in voluntary unemployment strong- something from source weak- keynesiansm argues that the supply of labour may not result in higher employment in these areas if there is a lack of demand and thus keynesian demand side management as a method to improve development is best. Did diagram with fine tuned AD and opt gdp low inflation and max unemployment

conclusion- supply side policies may be most effective and compared args etc and shifting LRAS right .
Original post by junky27
well I hope not considering I have done the format- intro 1 point eval 2 point eval conclusion for the last 2 years

me too but I read this in an exemplar document.

'The way in which these factors influence growth is explained and the analysis is generally sound. More than 3 policy measures (required for Level 4) are explained but there isn’t any attempt to evaluate the individual measures.'

from here page 20 http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-2140-W-TRB-CEXWECON4.PDF
Original post by NotKidding
No diagram is "wrong" in economics, you just need an explanation that makes sense. If you used LRAS and your explanation makes sense then it's fine, since it wasn't specified they wanted the SRAS curve (although it was clear to me that that was the one they wanted to see).

LRAS is fine since productivity improvements can come about from technological change which relates to the quality of capital increasing hence shifting LRAS outward
Original post by NotKidding

LRAS would be absolutely fine surely? An increase in productivity increases the quality of the four factors of production hence shifts LRAS to the right. This would lead to deflation etc.
For patterns of trade question I linked to globalisation meaning more levels of labour migration and highly skilled workers as well as development of global brands
Reply 811
Original post by junky27
I missed out a bit but from what I remember this is what I did: it feels awful to me

(2 diagrams shifting AS and shift AD)

25 marker- defined the terms

Diagram- increase supply labour and fall in voluntary unemployment strong- something from source weak- keynesiansm argues that the supply of labour may not result in higher employment in these areas if there is a lack of demand and thus keynesian demand side management as a method to improve development is best. Did diagram with fine tuned AD and opt gdp low inflation and max unemployment

conclusion- supply side policies may be most effective and compared args etc and shifting LRAS right .

Similar points but not as detailed haha, I wrote a fair bit about MNCs and why they were good for India (jobs, reduction in poverty, tax for government) and then bad (exploiting workers, forcing smaller domestic firms out of business, avoiding tax), evaluated they were overall good and then stressed the importance of the aid ($222 bil?) from foreign countries in improving the infrastructure to attract more FDI and multipler effects. I may have been going down the wrong lines I don't know hahaha
Did anyone do the taxation question?

I talked about how reducing direct tax shifts out AD/SRAS and the positive impacts of this
And then said the negative impacts of shifting the tax, and said it's regressive so increases inequality, and said how the government may not raise enough tax revenue so there's a structural deficit and talked about the economic consequences of this
Not sure if that's right, did anyone else do this essay section?
Original post by PFD
Similar points but not as detailed haha, I wrote a fair bit about MNCs and why they were good for India (jobs, reduction in poverty, tax for government) and then bad (exploiting workers, forcing smaller domestic firms out of business, avoiding tax), evaluated they were overall good and then stressed the importance of the aid ($222 bil?) from foreign countries in improving the infrastructure to attract more FDI and multipler effects. I may have been going down the wrong lines I don't know hahaha

well if we both did the same sort of things for the context then we should be fine. I feel like the stuff I wrote was correct and relevant got some of the diagram slightly wrong but should have got good marks on the 2 4 and 9 marker. The second half was not too bad.
Original post by CameroSJ
For the 9 mark on context 2, I shifted LRAS right instead of SRAS. Will I still get max marks for explaining it well?

It is LRAS, so you are right!
Original post by Ellielewis17
Did anyone do the taxation question?

I talked about how reducing direct tax shifts out AD/SRAS and the positive impacts of this
And then said the negative impacts of shifting the tax, and said it's regressive so increases inequality, and said how the government may not raise enough tax revenue so there's a structural deficit and talked about the economic consequences of this
Not sure if that's right, did anyone else do this essay section?

Yeah, that's the essay I did, and I included that.

The only thing I'm worried about is that I did two paragraphs on firms and individuals, and then rushed the paragraph on policy objectives, including very little detail. I don't know how many marks I'll lose if my answer turns out to be too Microeconomics focused...
Original post by physicsamor
Holy heeeeeelllll I did not write any of that omg :frown:
I talked about micro finance as a market policy
Said the affect it would have on quality of life
Reduce poverty increase access to education increase lr growth blah blah
But evaluated badly

Said that protecionism was needed to prevent power of mncs and that goverments had to intervene said something similar but forgot the retaliation point. Talked about goverment failure like it was a micro exam :/

Talked about privatisation mentioned similar points

Lol I flopped

sounds good and better than mine tbh haha
ESSAY 1

15 MARKER
Define natural rate:
- equilibrium rate of unemployment
- AD=AS, diagram to show this
- no involuntary unemployment, those wanting to work at wage rate are employed
- only voluntary unemployment
Policies:
- Increase minimum wage
- Reduce income tax
- Reduce welfare spending
- Trade union control

25 MARKER
Define unemployment - types, how it's measured etc.
List macroeconomic objectives
Lay out argument

Unemployment and inflation
Lowering unemployment increases disposable incomes
Increase in consumption, increase in AD
Cost push inflation
However:
- Depends on stage of economic cycle
- Depends on government policies, rate of interest etc. on how much inflation occurs
- Talked about saving ratio (4%) being the lowest of all time in the UK at the moment and how this affects the change in inflation

Unemployment and economic growth
Define economic growth
Drew economic cycle
Identified where lowering unemployment was located on the cycle
Positive output gap where unemployment is low
Economy is closer to productive capacity- use of factors of production
However:
- Lowering unemployment can be seen as an indicator and a result of economic growth
- Short vs long run growth when talking about unemployment

Unemployment and the budget deficit
Unemployment is lowered through fiscal stimulus
Occurs during recession to increase AD
Use of supply side policies
Budget deficit occurs
However:
- How important is a budget deficit? The UK consistently runs one but still has growth
- How economic growth in the long run is limited due to attempts to reduce the deficit
- Is it justified to run a budget deficit to increase unemployment and thus AD to recover the economy
Original post by CJEV18
India context people what did you write for the 25 marker?

Defined market based strategies

Talked about trade liberalisation and globalisation and why its good and bad

Talked about privatisation being good for efficiency but might exploit consumers.

Talked about maybe protectionism such as tariffs is useful for protecting domestic firms which may help growth more.

How about you?
How good do you think my points are?
Original post by PFD

Oh god I really fill like I fked up. I said yes market forces - through like microfinance
Improves quality of life, education => development
I did evaluate

Talked about the consequence of globalisation for India and said why there needed to be intervention
Talked about protecionism
Forgot the diagram
Sort of evaluated

Talked about privatisation
Don't think I mentioned the key points on jobs though :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending