The Student Room Group

Why do Muslims tend to vote Labour?

:curious:

Of course, I've witnessed many vote Tory, Lib Dem, Green, etc... but they mostly gravitate towards Labour.

Or maybe it's because Corbyn is the leader?

I thought most Muslims are quite conservative/religious?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Dodgypirate
Because it's anti-Semitic?

Of course, I've witnessed many vote Tory, Lib Dem, Green, etc... but they mostly gravitate towards Labour.

Ethnic minority preference rather than religions (I think). Although saying that there are quite a fair amount of people I know who support Consrrvatives. To be honest May didn't look good (no matter how much you want to convince people that Corbyn is poor).
(edited 6 years ago)
Because people are entitled to their own political views…?
Because it's anti-Semitic?

Being from a muslim family. My parents voted conservative and they voted to leave the EU
Reply 4
Original post by mashbbk
Ethnic minority preference rather than religions. Although saying that there are quite a fair amount of people I know who support Consrrvatives.

What about the anti-Semitic proposition?

I can remember the (ex?) head of the NUS was Muslim + Labour + Anti-Semitic.
Reply 5
Original post by Paracosm
Because people are entitled to their own political views…?

I'm not criticising their choice... I'm questioning it.
Nothing like anecdotal claims, unsubstantiated by any statistics, love them
why do you care fam, mandem want to vote for jez, mandem can vote for jez simple
Reply 8
Lmao so you've got no evidence whatsoever apart from an anecdote and you're using it to suggest that they're anti-Semitic
They do? I don't see any real preference, I am Muslim but my religious standing had no effect on my vote. Perhaps our morale values are in line with having free medical care from cradle to grave, schools that don't discourage social mobility, giving tax reductions to the rich whilst public services suffer, although I presumed most wanted these things, who knows aye
Reply 10
Original post by YourGoddamnRight
why do you care fam, mandem want to vote for jez, mandem can vote for jez simple

YourGoddamnRight
Original post by S2M
YourGoddamnRight

what fam.
exactly, why does it matter who muslims vote for? Its like asking, why did christian ppl vote for Donald Trump?
im a muslim and my dad votes for conservatives, he hates labour lol but i would vote for labour if i was old enough !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Muslims vote for Labour similar reasons that non muslims vote for Labour

Muslims vote for Conservatives similar reasons to why non muslims vote for Conservatives

Also lots of muslims are in Urban cities that are usually Labour
:facepalm:
My first thought was that Labour care more about benefits. :s-smilie:
Why are so many of you getting defensive?

I'm sorry if it came across as an attack, but I was seriously just wondering...
Reply 18
Original post by YourGoddamnRight
what fam.

lol I had a chance to use your username, so I done it. :biggrin:
What about the anti-Semitic proposition?

I can remember the (ex?) head of the NUS was Muslim + Labour + Anti-Semitic.

I don't think many people realise Arabs are included as a Semitic language...
Would be rather backwards to be a Muslim and Anti-Semitic, considering the beloved prophet was a Semite.

With regards to your actual question,

I think it has more to do with social upbringing and influences.
You are a product of your environment

The reason I say that is the majority of the Muslim demographic in the UK come from Southern Asian, working class low-middle income families, including myself.
This results in the majority of Muslim families possibly being lower side of the socio-economic spectrum,
therefore identifying with the party that mostly fits the working man, or meets more of their needs.

Though, this trend is changing, as 1st generation Muslim migrants (our parents and grandparents) start to become older and 2nd and 3rd generation Muslims (born and raised here) begin to take the reigns.
This is why we're seeing steady change in the education/skills of Asian Muslims (again who make up the majority in the UK), and also income status, and their socio-economic group, resulting in possibly voting for an alternative party that more meets their needs.

Basically, my observation as a Labour-voting young British Muslim, is most of us are working class, and exposed to those sorts of environments. The fact that they're/we are Muslim doesn't really come into it, it didn't formulate my political view in the slightest, despite being relatively faithful - It has more to do with socio-economics, just like any other ethnic group.

However, I could be speaking a load of tosh and it could just be people voting for who they want :lol:

But that's my two cents
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest