The Student Room Group

OCR AL Psychology (New): Research methods H167/1 & H567/1 - 15 May & 07 Jun 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kholmes1
Hi, what would you do for conduction research that is holistic??
Does anyone have a model answer or anything for that question.

My teacher told me today that they can't really ask a big question about holism. She said the person who created the spec forgot about holism, which is why none of the core studies can be considered very holistic, only little pieces here and there can be, but not a whole study. She said not to worry too much about answering a 12 marker on holism, because there is so little to write about. But reductionism could come up, because every study shows some degree of reductionism.
Original post by Kholmes1
Hi, what would you do for conduction research that is holistic??
Does anyone have a model answer or anything for that question.

this isn't a model so could probably be improved but i tried lol

Discuss the strengths and limitations of conducting research that is considered holistic? (12 marks)
+accounts for the complexity of human behaviour e.g. banduras study gives 2 explanations for children's aggression levels - social learning (imitation of model in new situation) or children becoming disinhibited (they were already aggressively inclined due to nature (biological level) or nurture (past experiences)) so giving holistic explanations is more useful as behaviour always occurs in interaction with other influences - unrealistic to consider it on its own better external validity - generalising to real life
+useful/practical applications e.g. freuds holistic case study method of analysing feelings thoughts and emotions led to psychodynamic therapy has helped millions in present day with mental illness
-Ethical issues: Relies heavily on the use of children they may not understand the research they are involved in so cannot consent- socially sensitive topics being published with no anonymity (oedipus complex in little hans) cant be considered scientific research if breaking ethical guidelines
-Issues with internal validity Holism difficult to measure all factors therefore whole full account of behaviour can never really be given e.g. pilivan can be seen as quite holistic on a social level measures how helping behaviour differs when victim is more responsible, same race effect, effect of modelling behaviour and group size (group pressure/conformity) but doesn't as used independent measures design, we don't know how one carriage of p's would act in same situation with one different variable. only focuses on social level of explanation so ignores cognitive or moral reasoning as to why some ps helped and some didn't

found this v tricky personally i think there aren't many examples to choose from or even manipulate for this q. mostly freud but didn't want to overuse him
Original post by DrawTheLine
My teacher told me today that they can't really ask a big question about holism. She said the person who created the spec forgot about holism, which is why none of the core studies can be considered very holistic, only little pieces here and there can be, but not a whole study. She said not to worry too much about answering a 12 marker on holism, because there is so little to write about. But reductionism could come up, because every study shows some degree of reductionism.

that's good to know. hope that's true. ocr have ****ed us over pretty bad with RM (as with bio) so i'm preparing for the worst
is the essay really 20 marks bc in the practise papers it's 15 but in the textbook it shows 20 ? if it is 20 how should u split the strengths and weaknesses
Original post by fudgecake7777
is the essay really 20 marks bc in the practise papers it's 15 but in the textbook it shows 20 ? if it is 20 how should u split the strengths and weaknesses

I think it can vary between 15 or 20. If it's 20 maybe 10 mins agreeing with the statement and 10 disagreeing.

Does anyone know whether Bandura was a lab or a field experiment (two textbooks say two different things)? If it was a field experiment, where was it conducted?
Original post by LenniesRabbit
I think it can vary between 15 or 20. If it's 20 maybe 10 mins agreeing with the statement and 10 disagreeing.

Does anyone know whether Bandura was a lab or a field experiment (two textbooks say two different things)? If it was a field experiment, where was it conducted?

was definitely lab

how many paragraphs though? bc i usually have 2 strengths 2 weaknesses, do they just need more depth for 20 or another paragraph or a stronger conclusion?
How would you answer a 15 marker on Ethnocentrism? :smile:
Brilliant that makes sense. Thank you!

I thought it was an opportunity sample but I just found this on a mark scheme:

Describe how the sample was obtained in this study. Most likely answer: (Through a snow-balling effect where eight) members of a psychology laboratory class served as experimenters with each experimenter recruiting (five) acquaintances to serve as participants. Other appropriate descriptions should be credited.
was definitely lab

how many paragraphs though? bc i usually have 2 strengths 2 weaknesses, do they just need more depth for 20 or another paragraph or a stronger conclusion?

I'd probably do 2 paras on strength, 2 on weakness but in more detail. e.g. including more than one study
I'm so nervous for this exam omg!! What are you all doing for last minute revision?
I'm reading over my least known core studies, remembering exam.structure for different questions and doing some questions. If I have time I'll just cram whatever I think I.need to.
was definitely lab

My teacher said aim for 3-4 PEEL/CEEL paragraphs. 3 or 4 PEELs and 3 or 4 CEELs

Point, evidence, explain, link
Counter-point, evidence, explain, link

The point and counter-point should be linked e.g. ecological validity can be high because.... but it can also be considered low because...

So in total 6-8 paragraphs

The point and counter-point should be linked e.g. ecological validity can be high because.... but it can also be considered low because...

Completely not what we are told
In case a question on freewill/determinism comes up:

Free Will Core Studies:
Casey et al. (2011) Neural correlates of delay of gratification
Maguire et al. (2000) Taxi drivers
Kohlberg (1968) Stages of moral development
Lee et al. (1997) Evaluations of lying and truth-telling
Moray (1959) Auditory attention Simons and Chabris (1999) Visual inattention
Piliavin et al. (1969) Subway Samaritan
Milgram (1963) Obedience
Bocchiaro et al. (2012) Disobedience and whistle-blowing
Levine et al. (2001) Cross-cultural altruism

Determinism Core Studies:
Casey et al. (2011) Neural correlates of delay of gratification
•Blakemore and Cooper (1970) Impact of early visual experience
Sperry (1968) Split brain study
Freud (1909) Little Hans
Baron-Cohen et al. (1997) Autism in adults
Bandura et al. (1961) Transmission of aggression
Chaney et al. (2004) Funhaler study
Milgram (1963) Obedience
Bocchiaro et al. (2012) Disobedience and whistle-blowing
Levine et al. (2001) Cross-cultural altruism
Grant et al. (1998) Context-dependent memory
Loftus and Palmer (1974) Eyewitness testimony

lool don't do this you'll run out of time
Original post by schoolgirl1
How would you answer a 15 marker on Ethnocentrism? :smile:

usefulness of research vs data collection

this is gonna be the 20 marker i'm calling it now :tongue:
Original post by Virolite
usefulness of research vs data collection

this is gonna be the 20 marker i'm calling it now :tongue:

Data collection!? Wait how would that work, would they ask about ways in which data was collected in core studies and whether it was useful?
Data collection!? Wait how would that work, would they ask about ways in which data was collected in core studies and whether it was useful?

not necessarily but it's a potential evaluation point for ethnocentrism in psychology

What do u mean research vs data collection?! like the same thing! Also is Lee and Kohlberg Quasi?
Original post by clairebear101
What do u mean research vs data collection?! like the same thing! Also is Lee and Kohlberg Quasi?

Lee was a quasi-experiment with independent measures design
Kohlberg was a longitudinal research study using self-report I think

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending