The Student Room Group

Diane Abbott has type 2 diabetes.

She was bloody hopeless, but I think we should call the dogs off her now. Let her be.

I didn't realise diabetes makes you racist and incapable of maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is a pretty **** excuse, one would think she is an adult who can manage her own health like our type 1 diabetic PM.

If she can't manage her health then she obviously can't manage the country.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mathemagicien
May is diabetic?! I guess type 1 is the genetic one.

I disagree. Even the greatest politicians have failings. Even Napoleon had flaws, such as character defects and avoidably ill health.

Type 1 is genetic, type 2 is typically caused by being fat and having a poor diet (lots of sugar).

I know enough about diabetes to know if it is properly managed you can live a relatively normal life, albeit an early death.

I don't really know enough about Napoleon to comment on his flaws or achievements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Meany Pie
Type 1 is genetic, type 2 is typically caused by being fat and having a poor diet (lots of sugar).

I know enough about diabetes to know if it is properly managed you can live a relatively normal life, albeit an early death.

I don't really know enough about Napoleon to comment on his flaws or achievements.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It isn't necessarily genetic, as in passed down from mother to child. It is autoimmune condition where you are insulin dependent, as the beta cells in the pancreas which produce insulin are destroyed.
There is a family history component and certain ethnicities are more likely to get diabetes than others.
Type 2 diabetes, obesity is a risk factor, but also ethnicities (for example south asian and afro Caribbean) are at a greater risk of getting Type 2 diabetes. It is associated with storing a high amount of fat round the stomach and having insulin resistance (which can happen through having lots of sugar over a long period of time)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Reason why she may have forgotten the figures etc is because of a hypoglycaemic episode, as a result of taking medication but not having regular meals or eating, resulting in low blood glucose levels to the brain
Reply 7
Original post by Mathemagicien
May is diabetic?! I guess type 1 is the genetic one.

I disagree. Even the greatest politicians have failings. Even Napoleon had flaws, such as character defects and avoidably ill health.

May has Type 1 diabetes, so the one where insulin is definitely needed and needs to be injected. It typically has earlier onset (as a child) and is an autoimmune condition
Original post by hpcp
It isn't necessarily genetic, as in passed down from mother to child. It is autoimmune condition where you are insulin dependent, as the beta cells in the pancreas which produce insulin are destroyed.
There is a family history component and certain ethnicities are more likely to get diabetes than others.
Type 2 diabetes, obesity is a risk factor, but also ethnicities (for example south asian and afro Caribbean) are at a greater risk of getting Type 2 diabetes. It is associated with storing a high amount of fat round the stomach and having insulin resistance (which can happen through having lots of sugar over a long period of time)

I was speaking generally to keep things simple.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending