The Student Room Group

OCR AL Psychology (New): Research methods H167/1 & H567/1 - 15 May & 07 Jun 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by clairebear101
What do u mean research vs data collection?! like the same thing! Also is Lee and Kohlberg Quasi?

Lee is lab. Kohl is longitudinal.
Is there any way that the behaviourist perspective can be seen to support the nature side of the debate? Any core studies that do?

This question suggests that there is: Discuss the extent to which the behaviourist perspective supports the nurture side of the nature nurture debate in psychology.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by LenniesRabbit
Is there any way that the behaviourist perspective can be seen to support the nature side of the debate? Any core studies that do?

This question suggests that there is: Discuss the extent to which the behaviourist perspective supports the nurture side of the nature nurture debate in psychology.

Bandura - boys were naturally more pre disposed to aggression than girls
Original post by Virolite
usefulness of research vs data collection

this is gonna be the 20 marker i'm calling it now :tongue:

Why would you think that?? I've NEVER seen a question on data collection and how do you know it wont be 15 marks?
What did you guys think!!
ez pz
Original post by schoolgirl1

loooooooved psychology as a science (although it felt like i was being asked the same question 3 times)
section a was alright
section C through me off big time...I don't think I actually included much psychological content there
I ran out of time. Had like under 30 mins to do the last section and 10 min to do the last two questions.

personally i thought psych as a science was boring as a topic for the 15 marker, plus they asked 2(?) qs prior asking for half the essay so thought it was leading up to something better eg. to what extent is scientific research reductionist?

tbh i think ive been practising other 'harder' debates and didnt focus on that q of psych as a science as i thought itd be too easy and not likely to come

little did i know id be making the same points over again as i hadnt prepped for this q :/
loooooooved psychology as a science (although it felt like i was being asked the same question 3 times)
section a was alright
section C through me off big time...I don't think I actually included much psychological content there

The same for me!! Section C threw everyone off though because it was not using the structure we have been learning for two years that was in the specimen papers! I agree I repeated myself on secion B a LOT!! I kept writing about Freud
Section A was good - I messed up on two that I know of so far - the levine one on the community values because for some reason my mind went blank and then the sperry being valid question I messed up but that one was only 2 marks luckily
Also I messed up the first question on Bocchiaro's pilot studies
ATLEAST MORAY WASN'T IN THERE!
Hoping grade boundaries will be lower because of section C anyway
Couple questions confused me
1. why was sperrys study valid
2. in section c why was it necessary for the groups to be divided in this way (my answer was horrible. I wrote something about how they can see the effect of the different treatment on each group but I think it was a different answer)
3. How does this study link to the social area. I first automatically wrote obedience to authority and then realised that I could have just said it shows the effect of others on behaviour but I just left it :frown: )
section a was alright

i agree section C was really unexpected?? guessing everyone talked about milgram?? link to hitler/nazism/conformity/destructive obedience but idk if i missed something?

i was thinking about mentioning the 'praise' bit where the blue eyed kids were getting praised for their bad behaviour reinforcing it but wasnt sure where it fit in
Original post by fudgecake7777
personally i thought psych as a science was boring as a topic for the 15 marker, plus they asked 2(?) qs prior asking for half the essay so thought it was leading up to something better eg. to what extent is scientific research reductionist?

tbh i think ive been practising other 'harder' debates and didnt focus on that q of psych as a science as i thought itd be too easy and not likely to come

little did i know id be making the same points over again as i hadnt prepped for this q :/

I know it was a really repetitive exam! same with RM with standard deviation being repeated loads like OCR what r u doing
I'm sure you did fine for the 15 marker though, I hadn't prepared for it either
I wish more results questions came up I revised all the results so much for them to not come up :/
2. in section c why was it necessary for the groups to be divided in this way (my answer was horrible. I wrote something about how they can see the effect of the different treatment on each group but I think it was a different answer)
3. How does this study link to the social area. I first automatically wrote obedience to authority and then realised that I could have just said it shows the effect of others on behaviour but I just left it :frown: )

I wrote about authority too!
I got confused because I was writing for the previous questions about operant conditioning and idk how but I think I wrote something about social learning theory lol and then I turned the page and read the social area question and realised I was meant to write about authority so I did that there but oh well
The same for me!! Section C threw everyone off though because it was not using the structure we have been learning for two years that was in the specimen papers! I agree I repeated myself on secion B a LOT!! I kept writing about Freud
Section A was good - I messed up on two that I know of so far - the levine one on the community values because for some reason my mind went blank and then the sperry being valid question I messed up but that one was only 2 marks luckily
Also I messed up the first question on Bocchiaro's pilot studies
ATLEAST MORAY WASN'T IN THERE!
Hoping grade boundaries will be lower because of section C anyway

it seems like we messed up on the exact same questions wow! The Bocciaro one I messed up too and the ocmmunity values one (I said economic prosperity and pace of life but I didn't explain properly How they were measured)
Original post by fudgecake7777
i agree section C was really unexpected?? guessing everyone talked about milgram?? link to hitler/nazism/conformity/destructive obedience but idk if i missed something?

i was thinking about mentioning the 'praise' bit where the blue eyed kids were getting praised for their bad behaviour reinforcing it but wasnt sure where it fit in

Did the question ask about backing up with a study?? :redface:
it seems like we messed up on the exact same questions wow! The Bocciaro one I messed up too and the ocmmunity values one (I said economic prosperity and pace of life but I didn't explain properly How they were measured)

Yeah literally same questions!!
I wrote about PPP THEN OF COURSE I CROSSED IT OUT AND WROTE ABOUT THE COMPLETE WRONG THINGS LOL
Sperry question I went on about Casey by accident coz I was writing about fMRI scans, but either way I wouldn't have know what to put for that question so
the bocchiaro one was just not something I revised, I revised how many pilot studies they did but then that was in the question so didn't help at all lol

1.for sperry study i put controlling extraneous vs eg [..] to increase internal validity

2. i put something dumb dw - i think i misinterpreted the q - i think i said bc discrimination is [...] and to make sure its occurring they had to give the blue eyed group a reason to feel superior and force a divide - sth along those lines

3. i put destructive obedience p sure your answer is fine
Did the question ask about backing up with a study?? :redface:

i dont think it did no, but when in doubt thats my go to especially for 4 marks i couldnt think of another point
think i'll get the mark for saying economic wealth bc completely forgot it was 'prosperity'? i said they used US$PPP to get comparable figures of average income in each city...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending