The Student Room Group

Going for surgery, will university be understanding?

So I am starting a university course in mental health nursing and my first placement is in October.

Unfortunately I have a Pilonidal Sinus, they have finally said I should have surgery but I can't get it until mid August! They have said it could take around 7 weeks to heal. I'm worried that University might not be understanding on this matter due to placements.

Has anyone ever had experience like this?
Original post by tedster2017
So I am starting a university course in mental health nursing and my first placement is in October.

Unfortunately I have a Pilonidal Sinus, they have finally said I should have surgery but I can't get it until mid August! They have said it could take around 7 weeks to heal. I'm worried that University might not be understanding on this matter due to placements.

Moved to health

Have you contacted the uni? I've had this surgery; although, mine was done about a week after finding the lump. It did take about 6 weeks to heal fully.
Reply 2
Original post by tedster2017

Ask for a note from your dr or the hospital and inform your uni in advance.
They literally have to be understanding if you have a note that proves you have had a medical procedure that has a long healing time. They cannot expect you to come in if you have had a recent surgery and it would be unsafe for you to do so.

You may want to ask if you can have lecture slides in advance or be sent work so you can do it when you're feeling a bit better, but still not enough to go in to uni.

As far as placements go, you'll just have to make up for missed time. Talk to them about it in advance so you can plan other times to go in.
Original post by Kindred
You may want to ask if you can have lecture slides in advance or be sent work so you can do it when you're feeling a bit better, but still not enough to go in to uni.

There would be no reason why the OP can't go to uni. I had 3 weeks off post-surgery. I then had 3 weeks where I had to have to have the dressings changed every few days.
Reply 4
Original post by Tiger Rag
There would be no reason why the OP can't go to uni. I had 3 weeks off post-surgery. I then had 3 weeks where I had to have to have the dressings changed every few days.

NHS site says you'll probably need time off and that seemed to be OPs concern so I was just going by that.
If OP is able to go in I suggest they still inform uni so if any issues do arise (needing to miss a lecture for dressing change, infection, not being able to do a specific task due to pain etc) they already know about the situation and OP doesn't need to get evidence if they require it.

It all depends on how OP feels. I've had to take time off for things that wouldn't usually require it because i've had bad reactions. It's worth knowing that you can take the time if you need it instead of forcing yourself to go in and making yourself feel more unwell.

Anyway, good luck with the surgery OP and thanks Tiger for the added input. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest