The Student Room Group

OCR AL Psychology (New): Research methods H167/1 & H567/1 - 15 May & 07 Jun 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
How did people find the exam?(the core studies)
anyone else think section c was a blessing
Original post by fudgecake7777
think i'll get the mark for saying economic wealth bc completely forgot it was 'prosperity'? i said they used US$PPP to get comparable figures of average income in each city...

Yeah definitely. I didn't even revise the PPP thing because my brain thought it could remember it from my last mock hah :tongue:
Original post by Virolite
anyone else think section c was a blessing

Absolutely not. The structure was so different and for some reason I thought the section was about Gould, even when the social area question came up it didn't even click with me I just thought it was a bit strange. Thankfully it didn't specifically ask to link a core study otherwise I would have messed up big time. But my answers were still vague :/

Btw what did everyone put for the last 2 questions? I think I really didn't so well on those. Section A and B were pretty good though.
I put she could have used a self selected sample instead of her class as the sample would be more willing to take part and less likely to drop out. They would also not feel as upset as they would have agreed to take part in the first place. Secondly I said I'd give them a right to withdraw so that if they feel it is getting too much they don't have to participate much longer. This would improve the ethics. I wasn't so sure about my first point.

Limitations for self selected sample is that it's more time consuming as collecting a correct sample might take a while, particularly if they have brown eyes. Limitations for right to withdraw is that everyone might drop out by the end so you don't really have comparable results. I also said that some students might not want to withdraw as they feel it could affect their education seeing as they are still learning the same things as the blue eyed students

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by StressedCoffee
Absolutely not. The structure was so different and for some reason I thought the section was about Gould, even when the social area question came up it didn't even click with me I just thought it was a bit strange. Thankfully it didn't specifically ask to link a core study otherwise I would have messed up big time. But my answers were still vague :/

Btw what did everyone put for the last 2 questions? I think I really didn't so well on those. Section A and B were pretty good though.

Don't really know how this works but I replied to your question in the last post

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 426
Original post by schoolgirl1
I wrote about authority too!
I got confused because I was writing for the previous questions about operant conditioning and idk how but I think I wrote something about social learning theory lol and then I turned the page and read the social area question and realised I was meant to write about authority so I did that there but oh well

Looool i wrote the same thing is that not correct

Posted from TSR Mobile
What did everyone write when it asked why the groups had to be divided?? And also for the 15 marker on psychology as a science?
was there a question in section C relating to racial sensitivity??? to do with blue eyes being more Caucasian or something ??????? I cant remember one like that at all but my freind can and im worried ive misread it :frown:(((

also what was the correct answer for the Casey question??? dont think I got it right
Original post by ciarayhhh
was there a question in section C relating to racial sensitivity??? to do with blue eyes being more Caucasian or something ??????? I cant remember one like that at all but my freind can and im worried ive misread it :frown:(((

also what was the correct answer for the Casey question??? dont think I got it right

I'm pretty sure that there was one on why it might not be ethical. What was the casey question? I can't remember it.
On the section c I said one change would be to have the teacher leave to see if they still behave same when an authority figure isn't there
On section C i said to use a larger sample by studying 3 psychology classes and then in the next question i explained the strengths of larger samples and said however its time consuimg etc. Then my second change was to give each of the two groups differnt tasks to do not the same ones as this would mean that the brown eyes group were very likely to struggle in class and give more of a reason to be discrimated agaisnt, so forth making it easier for discrimative beaviours to b seen. Dunno if this is valid. ALso were u meant to support the last 2 qestions with core studies cuz i didnt as it didnt say but now i dunno if i will get any marks :frown: like how do u get6 marks for saying 2 changes wtf :frown:
Original post by OzzieF99
I put she could have used a self selected sample instead of her class as the sample would be more willing to take part and less likely to drop out. They would also not feel as upset as they would have agreed to take part in the first place. Secondly I said I'd give them a right to withdraw so that if they feel it is getting too much they don't have to participate much longer. This would improve the ethics. I wasn't so sure about my first point.

Limitations for self selected sample is that it's more time consuming as collecting a correct sample might take a while, particularly if they have brown eyes. Limitations for right to withdraw is that everyone might drop out by the end so you don't really have comparable results. I also said that some students might not want to withdraw as they feel it could affect their education seeing as they are still learning the same things as the blue eyed students

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could you include positive things on the implication question
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Salimo_1234
Could you include positive things on the implication question

yeah you're meant to
Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe. I always thought an implication was a consequence of something and I gave the strengths in the previous question when justifying my changes. Was it limitations or implications? I can't remember
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Rtdsv
Looool i wrote the same thing is that not correct

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly no clue!! Not sure what's right and what's wrong cos of how weird the structure and wording of questions was
glad I'm not the only one though!!
Original post by ozzief99
posted from tsr mobile

maybe. I always thought an implication was a consequence of something and i gave the strengths in the previous question when justifying my changes. Was it limitations or implications? I can't remember

oh god i thought implication was a bad thing i only wrote the negatives!!!!
Original post by clairebear101
On section C i said to use a larger sample by studying 3 psychology classes and then in the next question i explained the strengths of larger samples and said however its time consuimg etc. Then my second change was to give each of the two groups differnt tasks to do not the same ones as this would mean that the brown eyes group were very likely to struggle in class and give more of a reason to be discrimated agaisnt, so forth making it easier for discrimative beaviours to b seen. Dunno if this is valid. ALso were u meant to support the last 2 qestions with core studies cuz i didnt as it didnt say but now i dunno if i will get any marks :frown: like how do u get6 marks for saying 2 changes wtf :frown:

I said a similar thing about repeating it with more classes and then I said something about getting consent from the participants so in the implications question I said it would be less valid to get consent as demand characteristics etc
I guess you would just split the two points into point example explain or something but I can't even remember what I did
Pretty sure you don't need studies for the marks though but correct me if wrong
Same haha. Apparently an implication is any effect or consequence that could happen so I'm sure negatives are fine. I didn't give positives

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by schoolgirl1
I said a similar thing about repeating it with more classes and then I said something about getting consent from the participants so in the implications question I said it would be less valid to get consent as demand characteristics etc
I guess you would just split the two points into point example explain or something but I can't even remember what I did
Pretty sure you don't need studies for the marks though but correct me if wrong

Well i didnt want to waste time explaining the answers as thats what the discss next question was all about! so probably only got a few marks out of 6 but hey ho. I dunno if my answer about making groups do different task to increase discrimination was valid tho :/ Like i explained why i would do it in the next question and said however this does make the study even more unethical but i dunnno, i guess they have to credit anythting tho!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending